Fake news is extremely dangerous to our democracy

Only homogenized corporate media will give you the real truth, accept no alternative!

Does anyone watch Gold Rush? Last night, Rick said something about what a guide had told them was wrong and “fake news”. If you watch it, you’d realize how funny it was to hear him say it. Thought it was hilarious he threw that out there.

90% of what I watch in not news. I only watch Fox a few minutes and rarely watch any of the other networks other than checking into CNN so I can laugh at their latest "Blockbuster Report" on what Melania's hairdresser heard or something equally retarded.

Don't blame the fake news blame the fake diplomas we hand out by the thousands.....

Turn off the TV, America.

More than that impuretrash
I'd call for consumer class action lawsuits, counting all stories and postings
as "political ads" and push complaints and charges of "false advertising"
similar to how other business ads are policed with $500 fines per complaint.

Nader had launched the movement to set up Consumer Protection.
Why don't we have a similar system to go after false business ads
including Political Parties stating false things to get donations?

We just have to prove it isn't "news" and it isn't "entertainment"
but agree on definitions for what is a political ad or campaign.

And start policing rules on that just like any other business placing ads.

Democracy was reintroduced by subversive elements in spite of its repeated failures times past.

defcon4 I believe "democratic principles" are built into human nature.
We all exercise free speech, express our beliefs, our consent and dissent naturally by conscience.

What we are developing now is a system using this new form of interaction online by internet
to "redress grievances" directly between people and groups. So we are heading toward
more direct democracy if we can master this process.

It's still part of the democratic process when people abuse free speech and press to make bigger messes.
the question is when will we agree to be mature about this
and use it for resolving conflicts instead of making them worse by attacking back and forth.

So we are like teenagers learning and choosing whether
to rebel and fight against each other, or grow up and work together
and use our resources and freedom for good.

when we get past our grief, anger and fear,
quit abusing these systems to vent at each other,
maybe more people will discover the solutions out there
we could be sharing, adapting into public policy
and replicating with the same energy we waste fighting over problems.

the learning curve and process is ongoing
and it's a matter of time before we master and realize
our purpose in this whole process of social and political development.

We aren't all in the same stages of growth
so we need to organize and mentor each other through this.
not fight over who messed up worse but collaborate
on fixing whatever did get messed up. That's where
we are now, is figuring out how to better organize.

We can either use our resources to uplift each other
and make society better, or continue messing around
spouting and posting garbage and just blame messes
on each other while waiting for someone else to take over and fix things.

When we learn those people who are going to fix it all are us,
we all need to get involved
in fixing these messes, maybe then we'll quit making them
and get busy fixing our own schools, our own community districts, and own backyards.

We won't have time to post much less create fake garbage online,
when we are too busy investing in solutions that benefit
us equally and sharing that online instead to help the next person.

Is it fake news that's dangerous, or voters who don't think?

You can't expect everyone to be as interested in politics as USMB's userbase is. Doesn't mean they're dumb. In the immortal words of Homer (simpson)

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

They vote. They should be informed.

Why should there be people out there who have no idea what they're doing, choosing the course of the country?

You can't expect everyone to be as interested in politics as USMB's userbase is. Doesn't mean they're dumb. In the immortal words of Homer (simpson)

Why should there be people out there who have no idea what they're doing, choosing the course of the country?

It's be great if voters were more informed and voted based on logic rather than emotion. I think it'd work out in favor for the political right. But I don't see any feasible way to force people to care enough to look at all sides of an issue.

It's be great if voters were more informed and voted based on logic rather than emotion. I think it'd work out in favor for the political right. But I don't see any feasible way to force people to care enough to look at all sides of an issue.

No, it's a hard one really.

Other than forcing people to take some sort of test to see whether they understand certain things.. which could then be abused.

No, it's a hard one really.

Other than forcing people to take some sort of test to see whether they understand certain things.. which could then be abused.

That idea would go over like a lead balloon considering that "merit based systems" are now being attacked as racist.

But yeah in the meantime I think it's important that we hold the media to account for taking advantage of gullible people, telling them what to think instead of how to think.

If you don't know 99% of the fake news comes from Fox Rush five or six greedy GOP billionaires, you're one of the dupes. Breaking... The rich don't pay enough in taxes. The Clinton Foundation was and it is a very good charity. Every Obama and Clinton scandal is a hoax. Our justice system works, is over-eager if anything. Our intelligence agencies know it was the video that was the trigger. Statistically there are no illegal voters, it's not worth the trouble or risk. The w Administration screwed up Iraq and wrecked the world economy. The GOP was pure obstruction under Obama. Etc etc

If you don't know 99% of the fake news comes from Fox Rush five or six greedy GOP billionaires, you're one of the dupes. Breaking... The rich don't pay enough in taxes. The Clinton Foundation was and it is a very good charity. Every Obama and Clinton scandal is a hoax. Our justice system works, is over-eager if anything. Our intelligence agencies know it was the video that was the trigger. Statistically there are no illegal voters, it's not worth the trouble or risk. The w Administration screwed up Iraq and wrecked the world economy. The GOP was pure obstruction under Obama. Etc etc

Everything the GOP does is bad, everything the Democrats do is good. Worn out old talking points, spoken like a good little partisan dupe.

Forum List

Back