Fair Wage Pizza Parlor- Couldn't Earn A Profit- Closing

The only places that sell expensive pizza also served other Italian food.. That's probably a big factor in my opinion on this.
When I go to a big city, I'm eating seafood lol

Long John Silvers
When we go out like that, we have to get a hotel and everything. At least two hours away for a city like that. So we go all out. Lol
/—-/ I guess I’m spoiled. I live on Long Island and have hundreds of restaurants within a 10 mile radius. And a 40 minute ride on the LIRR into Manhattan has 10,000 more in the 5 bouroughs.
I totally respect life like that. It's different character traits and that's always cool.
But I couldn't live like that. Lol it's makes awesome getaways though!
Out here I can piss off the front or back porch, shoot guns in the backyard, surrounded by wildlife, party with loud music, ride 4wheelers, let my chickens roam and more. I have always been in the country though. appreciating different things I guess.
You and I are very similar in our tastes in living.
It's the best. Plus we might have a better chance in the zombie apocalypse. The city will be getting hit by a bus the size of Texas. We will have a chance to load all the guns :D

Sorry LWNJ's. but the immutable law of economics triumph once again. Restaurants that are forced (or choose) to pay wages above market value to their employees have to raise prices, cut staff, or close shop. These losers were subsidized hundreds of thousands of dollar$ and still failed.

Launched in 2015, the fair-wage pizza shop will close at the end of the year, according to Bing Broderick, executive director for the nonprofit Haley House, which oversees the shop. While popular, the shop is not breaking even financially, which has put stress on the wider nonprofit organization

The challenge for Dudley Dough was to support itself, Broderick said. An offshoot of the Haley House, a Boston organization that provides food and housing to low-income residents, the pizza shop attempted to put a social enterprise model into action.

But after an analysis of the business’s operations and trends, the board determined that Haley House could not continue to subsidize the pizza shop without putting in peril its own efforts. Three other restaurants opened in the area around the same time as Dudley Dough and are still operating.

Last year, Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots, donated $100,000 to Haley House, specifically for Dudley Dough. Despite the board’s decision, Broderick said, a “significant effort” is being made to support the staff at the shop as they transition to new jobs.

Roxbury’s Dudley Dough, a fair-wage pizza shop, to close its doors - The Boston Globe
damn, one store was going to bring the whole org down.

reality is a bitch

There is this one restaurant in a small city that's fairly close.. They are a regular rest.(steaks and the norm)with an Italian bistro behind the bar. Their prices are around 30 bucks. They are amazing. It's not pepperoni and shit. It's weird German cheeses, spinach and some sauce drizzle. Lol

These small businesses are the ones that should be getting the tax cuts and help....

But the republicans seem to want to hand it all to the big corporations that cheat and crowd out these small businesses.
Yea that's why they just voted to drop their tax rate to 25%
Well said, genius

Thousands of stores that were not fair wage stores closed too. I guess paying shitty wages is not the answer to all problems as republicans claim.

These major retailers have closed more than 5,000 stores in 2017

I never claimed any of that.

This business was founded with the explicit purpose of "proving" that they could pay a "fair wage" and make it in business. They failed.
You found one example. I found thousands.

If you think businesses can't survive without paying a living wage... then how do you explain all the people that are living?

I prefer Wicks up near Bardstown.

Have you tried Bearno's?

I'm going to be up that way over the weekend...and after this thread I'm craving a great pizza pie... I'm willing to try Wick's on your recommendations.

Yeah, we ate at the one down Preston Highway. It's good, but like I said, i prefer Wicks. The neighborhood is nicer too.

Thousands of stores that were not fair wage stores closed too. I guess paying shitty wages is not the answer to all problems as republicans claim.

These major retailers have closed more than 5,000 stores in 2017

I never claimed any of that.

This business was founded with the explicit purpose of "proving" that they could pay a "fair wage" and make it in business. They failed.

If you think businesses can't survive without paying a living wage... then how do you explain all the people that are living?

Many businesses can survive and prosper paying a living wage. These are businesses that involve SKILL.

Cooking a pizza is not a skilled profession. It's an entry level job that a retard or a robot can accomplish. This "business" was founded to prove a point- that a low skill pizza joint could pay a "living wage" and survive. The couldn't, they failed.

Duh.

I managed a pizza joint. There is no way we could have survived paying wages like that. Not without charging a shitload more

I angel invested in pizza stores. Yes, you can. It's about how you deal your platform.

Bullshit. The amount of crap you spew is astonishing. The OP is about a fair wage pizza shop closing because the business model doesn't work. Address the OP and stop with your bullshit lies. You don't tell them well, and they are boring.

I did. There was nothing wrong with the business model, it's a pizza shop, all pizza shops are fundamentally the same.

It's not the pay.

It's CRE platform, ie; location.

Simple.

99.999% of the population cannot formulate their own prescription drugs.

98.7% cannot perform surgury.

95% can't build a car from scratch.

90% can't wire a house.

80% can't install a complete plumbing system.

75% can't build a computer from components.

73% can't build a complete garden shed

70% can't fell a tree.

68% can't build functional furniture.

67% can't perform simple car repairs.

All those jobs pay a living wage and then some...because they compete against other businesses with the know-how to complete these tasks for your consumer dollars.

Restaurants...especially fast food restaurants compete against each other, but also against home cooking.

90% of people can microwave a frozen dinner.

If you paid everyone a living wage...people would stop eating out...it wouldn't be cost effective vs microwaving a frozen meal...or cooking from scratch.

I can make spaghetti with killer homemade meat sauce for 8 people for the price of one spaghetti plate from a restaurant...about $10 with tax, tip and drink.

Fast food restaurants are already struggling at their current price point. Hence the two for $5 specials on Big Macs and Whoppers, $5 meal boxes at Taco Bell, DQ and Hardees and value menus everywhere.

It's simple economics. A person will only pay so much for a service they can emulate at home. We've already reached it...there isn't room in the profit margins to increase pay to $15 an hour.

Last edited:
Pizza probably sucked..

No?
The article says it was "popular".
If it was so popular people would of paid anything for it.
I wouldn't. The Bath & Body Works store just brought back a scent that I would love to have, but I am not about to pay what it is that they are asking for it. Last year it was like $12.50 a bottle and now its $18.50 a bottle plus tax of course which is 9.75% here in Tennessee bringing the complete total to $20.30. No way will I pay that much for a bottle of shower gel.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. The scent is named Marshmallow Pumpkin Latte.

Sorry LWNJ's. but the immutable law of economics triumph once again. Restaurants that are forced (or choose) to pay wages above market value to their employees have to raise prices, cut staff, or close shop. These losers were subsidized hundreds of thousands of dollar$ and still failed.

Launched in 2015, the fair-wage pizza shop will close at the end of the year, according to Bing Broderick, executive director for the nonprofit Haley House, which oversees the shop. While popular, the shop is not breaking even financially, which has put stress on the wider nonprofit organization

The challenge for Dudley Dough was to support itself, Broderick said. An offshoot of the Haley House, a Boston organization that provides food and housing to low-income residents, the pizza shop attempted to put a social enterprise model into action.

But after an analysis of the business’s operations and trends, the board determined that Haley House could not continue to subsidize the pizza shop without putting in peril its own efforts. Three other restaurants opened in the area around the same time as Dudley Dough and are still operating.

Last year, Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots, donated $100,000 to Haley House, specifically for Dudley Dough. Despite the board’s decision, Broderick said, a “significant effort” is being made to support the staff at the shop as they transition to new jobs.

Roxbury’s Dudley Dough, a fair-wage pizza shop, to close its doors - The Boston Globe

Well, of course, when people can get away with paying the lowest wages, they'll attract the customers with the lowest prices. However if EVERYONE has to pay a living wage, then everyone has to charge higher prices and people have to pay a fair price for things.

Well, of course, when people can get away with paying the lowest wages, they'll attract the customers with the lowest prices. However if EVERYONE has to pay a living wage, then everyone has to charge higher prices and people have to pay a fair price for things.

That only works if customers have no alternatives.

Like I said...fast food places are already struggling at their current price point.

McDonald's Struggles to Repeat Success of All-Day Breakfast Launch

Or location , location , location..this story is ridiculous ...

The location is fine. 3 other businesses opened in the area at the same time and are doing fine.

Three other restaurants opened in the area around the same time as Dudley Dough and are still operating.

Despite the pizzeria’s mission-oriented business plan, its mission to pay employees more combined with the added expenses of culinary and leadership training for its employees backfired as the additional costs made it hard for them to beat the competition.

The FACT is the 'employees' were people with 'issues'.
Nobody wanted to eat a pizza made by someone who kept picking their nose when they were making the pizza,
This sort of thing happened too many times and word spread in the community and the potential customers stayed away.
The society attempted to 'train' the employees but it turned out the training wasn't working and cost too much.
Plus the pizzas were basic shit like from Dominos.

Last edited:

Like I said...fast food places are already struggling at their current price point.

Here are some of the problems:

That’s been problematic across the restaurant industry, as economic uncertainty and falling grocery prices have hurt the sector.

It is external to that sector.

That’s been problematic across the restaurant industry, as economic uncertainty and falling grocery prices have hurt the sector.

Exactly my point. A restaurant is competing against the cost of cooking at home. A homeowner may not bother to learn how to repair a broken pipe over the cost of a one time plumbing repair...or learn to cut in and lay carpet...or reshingle a roof...but ya got to eat everyday.

Exactly my point. A restaurant is competing against the cost of cooking at home. A homeowner may not bother to learn how to repair a broken pipe over the cost of a one time plumbing repair...or learn to cut in and lay carpet...or reshingle a roof...but ya got to eat everyday.
The point is, it belongs to capitalism. Why not ask Congress to micromanage the tax code to give business a break.

Forum List

Back