Fact-checkers are taking aim at American Sniper

Several important falsehoods have been documented regarding the popular film American Sniper. Some links fact-checking the falsehood-ridden movies are here. Conservatives are likely not to read these fact-checks because it hurts their sensibilities as they want everything portrayed in the movie to be true.:

American Sniper The True Story of Chris Kyle
American Sniper fact vs. fiction How accurate is the Chris Kyle movie
Every chance they get, the liberals try to shit on our military men. They are obsessed.

Several important falsehoods have been documented regarding the popular film American Sniper. Some links fact-checking the falsehood-ridden movies are here. Conservatives are likely not to read these fact-checks because it hurts their sensibilities as they want everything portrayed in the movie to be true.:

American Sniper The True Story of Chris Kyle
American Sniper fact vs. fiction How accurate is the Chris Kyle movie
Every chance they get, the liberals try to shit on our military men. They are obsessed.
True...except when they are blaming Bush for something.

The left can't afford any positive influence in this country anymore.
that's the thing, kyle was not and should not be regarded as a 'positive influence'
he was a skilled sniper, but that skill set alone shouldn't make him anyone's hero

Kyle was most certainly a positive influence for his fellow soldiers he kept alive by his skills. I do agree that he was not a hero. Hero is a sobriquet that is bandied about far too
frequently. A hero knowingly places himself into a situation that he knows has a good chance of killing him. Usually to save someone else's life, though not always. That is what a hero does. Anything else is just their job, which they can do well or poor, but it's just their job.
was he a positive influence, or did he just do a job that benefited them?
in other words, did his actions and example make them better soldiers and people? i would guess not.

No, people who are good at a job will rub off on those around them. It's called "modeling" and is a well known psychological principle. Championship teams are created the same way. There is always a person, or persons, who are catalysts who make everyone around them better.
except as a sniper, he wasn't really part of a team.
The more popular the movie is the more hysterical the left gets. Which means the more popular the movie gets.
I hope Chris Kyle's wife gets some of the money it's generating. I know that Chris dedicated the book sales to the families of killed Seals.
did he? seems like his family has made money on the book - and that's okay - but let's not pretend it was a non-profit endeavor for him.

The left can't afford any positive influence in this country anymore.
that's the thing, kyle was not and should not be regarded as a 'positive influence'
he was a skilled sniper, but that skill set alone shouldn't make him anyone's hero

Kyle was most certainly a positive influence for his fellow soldiers he kept alive by his skills. I do agree that he was not a hero. Hero is a sobriquet that is bandied about far too
frequently. A hero knowingly places himself into a situation that he knows has a good chance of killing him. Usually to save someone else's life, though not always. That is what a hero does. Anything else is just their job, which they can do well or poor, but it's just their job.
in other words, did his actions and example make them better soldiers and people? i would guess not.

No, people who are good at a job will rub off on those around them. It's called "modeling" and is a well known psychological principle. Championship teams are created the same way. There is always a person, or persons, who are catalysts who make everyone around them better.
The more popular the movie is the more hysterical the left gets. Which means the more popular the movie gets.
I hope Chris Kyle's wife gets some of the money it's generating. I know that Chris dedicated the book sales to the families of killed Seals.
did he? seems like his family has made money on the book - and that's okay - but let's not pretend it was a non-profit endeavor for him.

You need to read up on sniper teams there sport. And on SEAL teams evidently. He most certainly WAS a part of the team.

You need to read up on sniper teams there sport. And on SEAL teams evidently. He most certainly WAS a part of the team.
unit maybe. but he wasn't performing his duties surrounded by and in view of his teammates.
he also didn't wear a uniform - setting him apart from the team as it were.

It's a movie, not a history. Glory was not fact checked, but errors certainly existed in the narrative.

Take all the criticism with a pound of salt, folks.
Glory wasn't fact checked? i'll bet dollars to donuts i can find several websites that will document the historical errors in it

Educate us, please.
Glory 1989 - Goofs - IMDb
History and the Movies The Patriot and Glory Ashbrook
Glory movie mistakes goofs and bloopers
there are three quick finds. i'd bet i could find more.

I would have lost that bet. Can you tell if the fact checking then was a political ploy as to discredit the movie? I imagine both sides are doing that to "Sniper" and "Selma."

It's a movie, not a history. Glory was not fact checked, but errors certainly existed in the narrative.

Glory wasn't fact checked? i'll bet dollars to donuts i can find several websites that will document the historical errors in it

Educate us, please.

Thank you for correcting me. Can you tell if the fact checking then was a political ploy as to discredit the movie? I imagine both sides are doing that to "Sniper" and "Selma."
so you think it was the fact checking that made the movie into a political football?

unit maybe. but he wasn't performing his duties surrounded by and in view of his teammates.
he also didn't wear a uniform - setting him apart from the team as it were.

Few of them wear conventional uniforms when they are on operations. Snipers train with the team as they are the teams eyes and ears about what is happening around them. As I said. You need to read up on SPEC Ops in general, and SEAL teams specifically. You quite literally don't know what you're talking about.

i haven't seen the movie, but everything i've heard about it seems to point to it being a somewhat disturbing film that should make everyone question the price of war for the individuals involved

that said, i do have a problem with chris kyle, and that the movie, again from reports, seems to gloss over his very large and very real character flaws.

i also have a problem with the right-wing deification of the man.

I'm not Deifying him. (did your shift button break or are you just an inconsiderate dick?)

In fact, I'm not even 100% sure I like Snipers, even our own

I am a Veteran. A Former Soldier. A Combat Infantryman

Not an assassin.

But...... Anybody that puts on the Uniform deserves credit. I may not agree with what he did, but I'm not going to put him down for it.
I generally agree with you on this, except it takes, for me, more than putting on the uniform. I think one should not dishonor it.

I under the comment about assassin, but I also understand the need for snipers.

[
He is to the men who came from from Iraq because Kyle was there taking down your heroes.

Educate us, please.

Thank you for correcting me. Can you tell if the fact checking then was a political ploy as to discredit the movie? I imagine both sides are doing that to "Sniper" and "Selma."
so you think it was the fact checking that made the movie into a political football?

That foes on either side saw the opportunity make points by fact checking the movies? Sure. We have a lot of crumbs on both sides of the political football.

Forum List

Back