Fact-checkers are taking aim at American Sniper

Several important falsehoods have been documented regarding the popular film American Sniper. Some links fact-checking the falsehood-ridden movies are here. Conservatives are likely not to read these fact-checks because it hurts their sensibilities as they want everything portrayed in the movie to be true.:

American Sniper The True Story of Chris Kyle
American Sniper fact vs. fiction How accurate is the Chris Kyle movie
Wow my bubble is really fucking busted. I always believe everything I see in a movie. Just as I believe everything Washington DC tells me. Bummer.

Y'know, I'm against Bush's wars, but the hysteria against this movie is getting a little much.

Fact-checking a movie is histeria?
Not just this 'fact check' but all the other scramblings going on.

This movie hurts the sensibilities of the hollywood elite that can't stand Haji being portrayed in a negative light

Most movies, if you don't like it, you jus tell others not to watch it.
This one shattered box office records and every Siskel/Ebert wannabe starts picking it apart.

I haven't had the opportunity to watch it yet.
But all this hysteria just goads people to go see it just to piss off the petty candyasses

It's a movie, not a history. Glory was not fact checked, but errors certainly existed in the narrative.

Take all the criticism with a pound of salt, folks.
Glory wasn't fact checked? i'll bet dollars to donuts i can find several websites that will document the historical errors in it

i haven't seen the movie, but everything i've heard about it seems to point to it being a somewhat disturbing film that should make everyone question the price of war for the individuals involved

that said, i do have a problem with chris kyle, and that the movie, again from reports, seems to gloss over his very large and very real character flaws.

i also have a problem with the right-wing deification of the man.

I'm not Deifying him. (did your shift button break or are you just an inconsiderate dick?)

In fact, I'm not even 100% sure I like Snipers, even our own

I am a Veteran. A Former Soldier. A Combat Infantryman

Not an assassin.

But...... Anybody that puts on the Uniform deserves credit. I may not agree with what he did, but I'm not going to put him down for it.

Y'know, I'm against Bush's wars, but the hysteria against this movie is getting a little much.

Fact-checking a movie is histeria?

Yes. It's a movie. Not a documentary. If you want to fact check a documentary knock yourself out with Gasland, or any of Moore's propaganda pieces. This is a popular movie meant to entertain. Nothing else.

It's a movie, not a history. Glory was not fact checked, but errors certainly existed in the narrative.

Take all the criticism with a pound of salt, folks.
Glory wasn't fact checked? i'll bet dollars to donuts i can find several websites that will document the historical errors in it

i haven't seen the movie, but everything i've heard about it seems to point to it being a somewhat disturbing film that should make everyone question the price of war for the individuals involved

that said, i do have a problem with chris kyle, and that the movie, again from reports, seems to gloss over his very large and very real character flaws.

i also have a problem with the right-wing deification of the man.

I'm not Deifying him. (did your shift button break or are you just an inconsiderate dick?)

In fact, I'm not even 100% sure I like Snipers, even our own

I am a Veteran. A Former Soldier. A Combat Infantryman

Not an assassin.

But...... Anybody that puts on the Uniform deserves credit. I may not agree with what he did, but I'm not going to put him down for it.
generally speaking, i don't use capital letters. if that's what makes me a dick, i'll live with it. also, deification isn't capitalized.
i'm not putting him down for his actions as a sniper - although i would guess, based on his writings, that he was not as selective in his targets as he could have or should have been.
it's his character that i take issue with, and putting on a uniform does not magically grant a person good character.

The left can't afford any positive influence in this country anymore.

Since when is a sniper a positive influence?

A sniper killed JFK. Was he a positive influence?

Vasili Zaitsev was a powerful propaganda tool for the Soviet Union during the siege of Stalingrad. His exploits gave the Soviets the courage to continue the fight against the Germans.

that's the thing, kyle was not and should not be regarded as a 'positive influence'
he was a skilled sniper, but that skill set alone shouldn't make him anyone's hero

Kyle was most certainly a positive influence for his fellow soldiers he kept alive by his skills. I do agree that he was not a hero. Hero is a sobriquet that is bandied about far too
frequently. A hero knowingly places himself into a situation that he knows has a good chance of killing him. Usually to save someone else's life, though not always. That is what a hero does. Anything else is just their job, which they can do well or poor, but it's just their job.

that's the thing, kyle was not and should not be regarded as a 'positive influence'
he was a skilled sniper, but that skill set alone shouldn't make him anyone's hero

Kyle was most certainly a positive influence for his fellow soldiers he kept alive by his skills. I do agree that he was not a hero. Hero is a sobriquet that is bandied about far too
frequently. A hero knowingly places himself into a situation that he knows has a good chance of killing him. Usually to save someone else's life, though not always. That is what a hero does. Anything else is just their job, which they can do well or poor, but it's just their job.
What the fuck is a navy seal...a baby sitter? Get real, dude.

No, a Navy SEAL is a incredibly well trained commando. Their job is to infiltrate by land, sea or air, engage and destroy the enemy. That's it. If a SEAL enters into a building full of bad guys to extract a comrade, and he knows he has little chance of surviving it, that is heroic. Merely shooting people is not.

was he a positive influence, or did he just do a job that benefited them?
in other words, did his actions and example make them better soldiers and people? i would guess not.

was he a positive influence, or did he just do a job that benefited them?
in other words, did his actions and example make them better soldiers and people? i would guess not.

No, people who are good at a job will rub off on those around them. It's called "modeling" and is a well known psychological principle. Championship teams are created the same way. There is always a person, or persons, who are catalysts who make everyone around them better.

No, a Navy SEAL is a incredibly well trained commando. Their job is to infiltrate by land, sea or air, engage and destroy the enemy. That's it. If a SEAL enters into a building full of bad guys to extract a comrade, and he knows he has little chance of surviving it, that is heroic. Merely shooting people is not.

So shooting a person carring enough explosives strapped to their bodies that can blow up your entire unit from a distance safe enough to save everybody isn't heroic enough for you? I knew you were a liberal. Had to be. For you to believe that is insane! It's batshit. Instead of saving bambi you literally just picked her up and threw her on the autobahn highway and not just killed her you killed every person on the road in a 100 car pile up. Do you understand?

I take it you didn't see the movie.

Forum List

Back