FACT CHECK: Senate did favor Libya no-fly zone

it was support for the action....

It was not support. Dennis Kucinch has never voted for military action in his life, and is not going to start simply because Obama is president. This was a simple call for the UN to take a vote on making a resolution.

President Bush did not fully inform congress on his actions either, he informed the members of the senate select intelligence committee and not the full Senate and the members of the congressional select intelligence committee.....but NOT the full congress on WMD's etc....

Interesting theory.

What was the vote of the entire Congress that resulted in the resolution approving use of military force about in your scenario?

I am not saying either is right, even with the so called War Powers Act....I would rather see that the entire congress vote on anything like this, HOWEVER precedence on what a president can do and who he can inform and who he can NOT inform has all been set, prior to Obama doing this....

Actually, you are. Your attempt to legitimize Obama by saying Bush did the same thing means you are saying Bush was wrong.

The United States Congress is the bicameral legislature of the federal government of the United States, consisting of the Senate and the House of Representatives. The Congress meets in the United States Capitol in Washington, D.C.

United States Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And?

There are 435 members of the House of Representatives and 100 Senators. Unless math has radically changed 100 is not half or 535.

Please cut down on the partisan apologist rhetoritic it is sliming up the thread.
As far as passing anything the senate is equal to the house.
But spin away.

Just because they are equal in power that does not make them equal in other aspects, including size. That is not partisan rhetoric, it is simple size.

By the way, since I am currently supporting the far left wing of the Democratic Party I am a little at a loss as to how I am being partisan

President Bush did not fully inform congress on his actions either, he informed the members of the senate select intelligence committee and not the full Senate and the members of the congressional select intelligence committee.....but NOT the full congress on WMD's etc....

I am not saying either is right, even with the so called War Powers Act....I would rather see that the entire congress vote on anything like this, HOWEVER precedence on what a president can do and who he can inform and who he can NOT inform has all been set, prior to Obama doing this....

But the Congress actually voted in favor of the invasions of both Afghanistan and Iraq. No vote has been done in either chamber for Libya. Even if we're going to say that the Senate's unanimous "consent" counts, which is a stretch in my opinion, there was still no action in the House. Therefore, he is in violation of the law.

Yes but this isn't a "No-Fly Zone." Their bombing the shit out of everything. Regardless,he should have taken this to Congress for proper debate and authorization. This War was handled very badly.

But the Congress actually voted in favor of the invasions of both Afghanistan and Iraq. No vote has been done in either chamber for Libya. Even if we're going to say that the Senate's unanimous "consent" counts, which is a stretch in my opinion, there was still no action in the House. Therefore, he is in violation of the law.

Again...when did a non-binding resolution = Go ahead and attack?

I believe I have read that the "War powers Act" legally gives him 60 days to bring it to Congress for a vote.

I don't believe in this Act, and believe whenever we send our military in to harms way or a war, that Congress should vote on it in congress, with 2/3's of both houses of Congress, voting yes, in order to send our troops out to fight....as per our constitution.

HOWEVER, I think the War Powers Act, has been deemed constitutional over the years, so what I want, doesn't seem to matter... :(

Probably the dumbest War we've ever been involved with. Why are we involved with Libya's Civil War? That's a question that still hasn't been answered with honesty & clarity. Maybe i can help?...This is a War for Oil. Western Europe depends on Libya for Oil. That's why they were the most vocal in pushing for bombing Gaddafi. We just went along for the ride. Libya was no threat no us. They were no threat to the Region. And we get very little Oil from them. Yet we've bombed and killed so many. And for what??

Probably the dumbest War we've ever been involved with. Why are we involved with Libya's Civil War? That's a question that still hasn't been answered with honesty & clarity. Maybe i can help?...This is a War for Oil. Western Europe depends on Libya for Oil. That's why they were the most vocal in pushing for bombing Gaddafi. We just went along for the ride. Libya was no threat no us. They were no threat to the Region. And we get very little Oil from them. Yet we've bombed and killed so many. And for what??

Interesting and TRUE...Libs always BITCH about NO BLOOD FOR OIL...Seems one of their own is onboard for what they bitch about.

What a vicious web they weave...and excuse it...Hell? Iraq was about oil...Where is it?

Interesting and TRUE...Libs always BITCH about NO BLOOD FOR OIL...Seems one of their own is onboard for what they bitch about.

What a vicious web they weave...and excuse it...Hell? Iraq was about oil...Where is it?

The Western Euros pushed hard for this War. We just helped them out. It makes absolutely no sense for us to be involved with Libya's Civil War. They should be honest and just admit this War is all about the Oil. I don't want to hear anymore of that "We're protecting the Civilians/He was a threat to the Region" propaganda shit. This really is probably the dumbest War we've ever been involved with. It's very sad.

The Western Euros pushed hard for this War. We just helped them out. It makes absolutely no sense for us to be involved with Libya's Civil War. They should be honest and just admit this War is all about the Oil. I don't want to hear anymore of that "We're protecting the Civilians/He was a threat to the Region" propaganda shit. This really is probably the dumbest War we've ever been involved with. It's very sad.

It ain't a WAR...PC dictates now that it is "Kinetic Military Action"...as opposed to a Potential one?

White House: Libya Fight Is Not War, It's 'Kinetic Military Action'

Don't tell anyone that human behaviour and the terms have been changed at the flick of a switch of a microphone to turn history on it's ear...:eusa_shhh:

And?

There are 435 members of the House of Representatives and 100 Senators. Unless math has radically changed 100 is not half or 535.

Please cut down on the partisan apologist rhetoritic it is sliming up the thread.
But spin away.

Just because they are equal in power that does not make them equal in other aspects, including size. That is not partisan rhetoric, it is simple size.

By the way, since I am currently supporting the far left wing of the Democratic Party I am a little at a loss as to how I am being partisan

number of member has nothing to do with it. there are in reality two votes in congress. The senate has one and the house has the other one when it comes to passing anything.

The United States Congress is the bicameral legislature of the federal government of the United States, consisting of the Senate and the House of Representatives. The Congress meets in the United States Capitol in Washington, D.C.

United States Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

?? This still makes him right. There are more members of the House of Representatives than there are in the Senate. By numbers the Senate is less than half of the Congress. By organization, they're exactly "half." But for something to be "legal" it has to be passed by both houses. It's funny how some will condemn Bush for invading Iraq when the measure passed in both houses of Congress. Yet, somehow say it's "ok" for Obama to only have approval from the Senate. This is neither here nor there from where I stand on the issure, but I'm simply pointing out the blinding double-standard.

sorry you missed the point of the thread.

I was not responding to the OP.

But spin away.

number of member has nothing to do with it. there are in reality two votes in congress. The senate has one and the house has the other one when it comes to passing anything.

Didn't I just fucking say that? Who is injecting partisan crap into the thread now?

Didn't I just fucking say that? Who is injecting partisan crap into the thread now?

How was that partisan?

60 days.

Jesus fucking Christ, everyone on this board loves to play the legal expert. The War Powers Resolution gives the President 60 days. All he had to do was send a letter, which he did.

60 days.

Jesus fucking Christ, everyone on this board loves to play the legal expert. The War Powers Resolution gives the President 60 days. All he had to do was send a letter, which he did.

The missiles were fired on Friday.

The letter was sent on Monday.

He has to send the letter withing 48 hours.

He did not do that.

60 days.

The missiles were fired on Friday.

The letter was sent on Monday.

He has to send the letter withing 48 hours.

He did not do that.

Jesus fucking Christ, that's what you're going with?

That's your charge? Obama is fighting an illegal war because he sent the letter a day late?

Forum List

Back