Facial recognition

All I got to ask is, who watches the damn watchmen?

If people aren't good enough to watch over themselves, then how the hell are we supposed to trust them to watch over others? Ain't no super-humans in the Government.

I see no problem with this.
Your DMV photo becomes public record when you apply for a license. If technology improves to the extent where these photos can be used to identify criminals ...too bad for them.
Same as if you give a fingerprint or DNA....if it becomes part of a public database then the FBI has a right to look at it

Nobody is being convicted off these photos.....it just gives the FBI an address to search

Well, I think it is a dragnet, fishing for something....

-----------------------------------------------------------

and is your driver's license really PUBLIC PROPERTY once you get a drivers license? They NEVER gave WARNING of such, when I went and got mine for maine?

"HA sounds very stalker-ish to me.. "

Nope, just fact. And your justifications made in that pretty bold and enlarged print mean nothing. It still amounts to the same thing. The FBI will use photos they can access from DL photos to identify a criminal just as photos are used to identify a criminal in a police station. I guess you think background checks for employment are stalkerish also huh?

That is a gross mischaracterization of my post, to say the very least, lol- These agencies do far more to narrow down their searches than any state wide photo scanning software does. And my stalker comment was in response to your assertion that public records are somehow something you automatically have a right to.. Sorry bubs, but thats not the case.
What records information can be ordered at a DMV office?
Record information available at DMV Field Offices is limited. The majority of requests must be ordered from DMV Headquarters. When requesting personal information at DMV Offices, customers must include proof of identity such as an Oregon-issued driver license, permit, or identification card, or two other proofs of age and/or identity including, but not limited to: Social Security Card, Birth Certificate, Voter Registration Card, etc. Please see Oregon Administrative Rule 735-62-0020(4) or (5) for the complete list of acceptable proof of identity. Field offices can order records for customers under the following conditions:

* A person can order their own record;
* A parent or guardian of a minor (not emancipated) can order the child's records;
* A person with a notarized power of attorney or notarized permission slip can order records of the person who signed the power of attorney or permission slip (businesses cannot use this method to request records);
* Anyone, including businesses, can order a record for another person as long as the record is mailed to the person on the record at their address of record.

Note: Records that you order at a DMV field office will be provided by mail. Field offices do not keep records on file. They must submit your request and fee to DMV Headquarters for processing. DMV Headquarters will then mail you the record you have requested.
How can I order records through the Internet?
DMV does not provide records through the Internet at this time. Although there are Web sites that claim to sell Oregon driving records and vehicle records, those companies are not affiliated with Oregon DMV, and in most cases may not be authorized to provide such records.
Can anyone call up and get information on my driving record?
Personal information in driving records is protected and only released to qualified entities under Oregon's Record Privacy Law (ORS 802.175-802.191). These are generally businesses such as law enforcement agencies, insurance companies, and attorneys. Personal information is name, address, telephone number and driver license, permit or identification number. Any customer can purchase a sanitized record (a record with no personal information) by making a request and paying the appropriate record fee. Access to confidential information such as your Social Security Number and DMV photograph is highly restricted. Social Security Numbers are only disclosed to qualified government agencies for purposes such as child support enforcement and law enforcement investigations. DMV photographs are only provided to law enforcement officials.
Who can access my Personal Information?
Under Oregon law, only certain entities qualify to receive personal information from DMV records and these entities can only use the information for specific purposes outlined in Oregon’s Record Privacy Law (ORS 802.175 – 802.191). If information is protected under one of these laws, it will not be released unless a requestor qualifies to receive the information.
The point is, everything you whining about being a violation of a person's privacy is easily attainable today. And NO, you do not have to give a reason when utilizing one of the many search sites on the computer. You only have to give your cc number so they can get paid. The owners of these sights don't give a fat babies butt WHY you want the information.

Wanna know WHY? Terms and Conditions- See these online websites are really just a scam, to get your money- they do not make ANY guarantees of accuracy at all..
Under no circumstances will Publics-Record.com, it's directors, officers, shareholders, employees, server maintainers, and contributors be liable for any damages from your reliance upon anything derived from this site even if Publics-Record.com, it's directors, officers, shareholders, employees, server maintainers, and contributors have been advised that such defect or unsuitability exists.
Publics-Record makes no warranty that (i) The service will meet your requirements, (ii) The service will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free, (iii) The results that may be obtained from the use of the service will be accurate or reliable, (iv) The quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you through the service will meet your expectations, and (v) Any errors will be corrected.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: So keep using online "public records" searches.. They spell it out to you in their TOS, that they do not make any claims of fact in their databases.:lol:

I made it very clear that I didn't know how many states allowed access to criminal records but that NC for a fact does. It's what we used primarily at my last job because it was free. To check other states we used an outside source for a nominal fee. And all it took to get that was the SS number of the person we were checking out. No explanation needed, just pay the bill. Again, it's a whole lot of whining and complaining now over something that has been going on for a long long time. Technology advances everyday. Remember, 25 years ago DNA tests were pretty much never used. Now all they need is a strand of hair out of a hairbrush. Facial Recognition is just another advance in technology. No sense in whining about it. It's going to happen whether you like it or approve of it. Just give it some time.....you'll hear about some other NEW and "invasive" thing they've come up with. Technology doesn't stop because someone doesn't "approve".

I just hope that the company you worked for read the TOS, and understood the liability involved with those types of scams.. :lol:

http://www.publics-record.com/terms.html

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/records/generalpublic.shtml

Last edited:
I judge it like this: If it ain't legal for me to do it, it sure as hell shouldn't be legal for the Government to do it.

Any power that the government has, and the general public has NOT, is an abuse of power. In this case, it is an invasion of privacy, and an unfair and unjust way of finding possible (or probable) suspects.

So it shouldn't be legal for the government to imprison criminals? Because I sure as heck can't lock people in my basement for violations of the law.

If you don't like the idea of surrendering power to the government, buy a private island. Our government does a lot of unconstitutional and wrong things; this isn't one of them.

This is why I disagree with the very institution of Government. Special Rights... it's like Fuedal Europe, just centralized.

I do have the right to "imprison" someone- My kid. Happens every time he gets grounded. I dont even have to lock him away- he knows what it means to be grounded.

So it shouldn't be legal for the government to imprison criminals? Because I sure as heck can't lock people in my basement for violations of the law.

If you don't like the idea of surrendering power to the government, buy a private island. Our government does a lot of unconstitutional and wrong things; this isn't one of them.

This is why I disagree with the very institution of Government. Special Rights... it's like Fuedal Europe, just centralized.

I do have the right to "imprison" someone- My kid. Happens every time he gets grounded. I dont even have to lock him away- he knows what it means to be grounded.

Do you have the right to lock up a fellow adult? I think not.

As a staunch advocate for individual liberty including privacy rights, I'm trying desperately to come up with a valid reason to object to this. But I'm stumped.

As a staunch advocate for individual liberty including privacy rights, I'm trying desperately to come up with a valid reason to object to this. But I'm stumped.

How about the right to privacy? I don't trust these people with any of my information.

How about the right to privacy? I don't trust these people with any of my information.

No offense, but as a self-proclaimed anarchist your opinion doesn't count. According to you people shouldn't need licenses to drive in the first place. Not to mention you'd prefer there be no law enforcement tracking down murderers, rapists and terrorists.

No offense, but as a self-proclaimed anarchist your opinion doesn't count. According to you people shouldn't need licenses to drive in the first place. Not to mention you'd prefer there be no law enforcement tracking down murderers, rapists and terrorists.

Well ain't that a bitch! You say my opinion doesn't count because you don't agree with it? That's some real disengeuous shit right there.

The truth is, no I don't think people need liscenses for any shit, that's their own damn business. However, I ain't against people hunting down murderers and rapists... I just think that service should be offered on the free market, along with everything else.

Taxation is theft, and Government is inneficient as fuck. Let people decide how to spend all their money, let the free market stop criminals. But asking the Government to stop crime is like asking the Mafia to stop drug trafficking.

FBI delves into DMV photos in search for fugitives - Yahoo! News

I do not see the problem with this. No one can honestly expect that their photo taken for DMV is protected from viewing as in every State the right for law enforcement to have access is a given.

No one has a protected right to hide from law enforcement if they have broken the law. And this only effects criminals.

If you have a problem with who is determined to be a criminal that is a separate issue entirely. And if the State is arresting people for non criminal behavior we have a bigger problem then facial identifying software being used by the cops.

I agree with RGS on this. No one has the right to privacy in public (including virtuality) when trying to evade apprehension for criminality.

This is about due process- which the FBI is not using- therefore the privacy rights of millions of people who are not suspects are being infringed upon.

This is about due process- which the FBI is not using- therefore the privacy rights of millions of people who are not suspects are being infringed upon.

That I agree with. :D

I do not see the problem with this. No one can honestly expect that their photo taken for DMV is protected from viewing as in every State the right for law enforcement to have access is a given.

No one has a protected right to hide from law enforcement if they have broken the law. And this only effects criminals.

If you have a problem with who is determined to be a criminal that is a separate issue entirely. And if the State is arresting people for non criminal behavior we have a bigger problem then facial identifying software being used by the cops.

I agree with RGS on this. No one has the right to privacy in public (including virtuality) when trying to evade apprehension for criminality.

why is a driver's licence of the State PUBLIC? it isn't....it is private information that I CAN CHOOSE to show you if i want to fly, want to drink in a bar etc....?

why is a driver's licence of the State PUBLIC? it isn't....it is private information that I CAN CHOOSE to show you if i want to fly, want to drink in a bar etc....?

The truth is, a DL is not public information- See the bottom of page 2, for more information on this. The "blind faith in bad government" people of this thread decided to post nonsense to ensure that my research filled post was overlooked..

This is the one I am referring to:

"HA sounds very stalker-ish to me.. "

Nope, just fact. And your justifications made in that pretty bold and enlarged print mean nothing. It still amounts to the same thing. The FBI will use photos they can access from DL photos to identify a criminal just as photos are used to identify a criminal in a police station. I guess you think background checks for employment are stalkerish also huh?

That is a gross mischaracterization of my post, to say the very least, lol- These agencies do far more to narrow down their searches than any state wide photo scanning software does. And my stalker comment was in response to your assertion that public records are somehow something you automatically have a right to.. Sorry bubs, but thats not the case.
What records information can be ordered at a DMV office?
Record information available at DMV Field Offices is limited. The majority of requests must be ordered from DMV Headquarters. When requesting personal information at DMV Offices, customers must include proof of identity such as an Oregon-issued driver license, permit, or identification card, or two other proofs of age and/or identity including, but not limited to: Social Security Card, Birth Certificate, Voter Registration Card, etc. Please see Oregon Administrative Rule 735-62-0020(4) or (5) for the complete list of acceptable proof of identity. Field offices can order records for customers under the following conditions:

* A person can order their own record;
* A parent or guardian of a minor (not emancipated) can order the child's records;
* A person with a notarized power of attorney or notarized permission slip can order records of the person who signed the power of attorney or permission slip (businesses cannot use this method to request records);
* Anyone, including businesses, can order a record for another person as long as the record is mailed to the person on the record at their address of record.

Note: Records that you order at a DMV field office will be provided by mail. Field offices do not keep records on file. They must submit your request and fee to DMV Headquarters for processing. DMV Headquarters will then mail you the record you have requested.

Wanna know WHY? Terms and Conditions- See these online websites are really just a scam, to get your money- they do not make ANY guarantees of accuracy at all..
Under no circumstances will Publics-Record.com, it's directors, officers, shareholders, employees, server maintainers, and contributors be liable for any damages from your reliance upon anything derived from this site even if Publics-Record.com, it's directors, officers, shareholders, employees, server maintainers, and contributors have been advised that such defect or unsuitability exists.
Publics-Record makes no warranty that (i) The service will meet your requirements, (ii) The service will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free, (iii) The results that may be obtained from the use of the service will be accurate or reliable, (iv) The quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you through the service will meet your expectations, and (v) Any errors will be corrected.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: So keep using online "public records" searches.. They spell it out to you in their TOS, that they do not make any claims of fact in their databases.:lol:

I made it very clear that I didn't know how many states allowed access to criminal records but that NC for a fact does. It's what we used primarily at my last job because it was free. To check other states we used an outside source for a nominal fee. And all it took to get that was the SS number of the person we were checking out. No explanation needed, just pay the bill. Again, it's a whole lot of whining and complaining now over something that has been going on for a long long time. Technology advances everyday. Remember, 25 years ago DNA tests were pretty much never used. Now all they need is a strand of hair out of a hairbrush. Facial Recognition is just another advance in technology. No sense in whining about it. It's going to happen whether you like it or approve of it. Just give it some time.....you'll hear about some other NEW and "invasive" thing they've come up with. Technology doesn't stop because someone doesn't "approve".

I just hope that the company you worked for read the TOS, and understood the liability involved with those types of scams.. :lol:

Publics-Record.com : Terms & Conditions Registration Agreement

Oregon DMV DMV Records-related FAQs (for Customers)

You and your bud have it wrong. The DL is not protected from government snooping. Go read your law folks.

And, no, you don't have a right to complete privacy in public if you are a potential suspect running from the law.

You and your bud have it wrong. The DL is not protected from government snooping. Go read your law folks.

And, no, you don't have a right to complete privacy in public if you are a potential suspect running from the law.

But the millions of Americans they are searching that have drivers licenses and pics ARE NOT SUSPECTS or potential suspects Jake, are we?

Who's my "bud" Jake?

If Democrats felt it was wrong, and breaking the 4th amendment to listen in on our phone calls with a wide sweep then why would it be okay to get in to our Driver's license records with a wide sweep?

I see it as similar and an invasion on privacy, breaking the 4th amendment, and a very slippery slope.

if you are not driving and a cop stops you on the street because a robbery just took place nearby and you meet the suspect's description, and the cop asks you for ID, it is NOT against the law for you to say NO, I am not showing you my driver's license...a cop, under those conditions, can not force you to show him your driver's license...it is PRIVATE....you get to choose when to show it to anybody...EXCEPT when a cop stops you when DRIVING, then the DRIVER'S license has to be shown by law.

Forum List

Back