Eye Of The ZOMBIE.....XP STILL ROCKING ON!

I give XP another year at most before it is completely abandoned like Win 98 / 2000.
At that point it will only be useful for non-internet uses like playing old games.

Not until Norton and Firefox abandon us and I see no indication that's going to happen. Read the numbers in the OP....181M machines (almost the same as 8.1)...nobody in their right mind gives up on those numbers without somebody else stepping up to replace them. And the XP numbers are holding steady despite all the dire forecasts from MS.

Nonsense.

The issue is zero ring. XP is built on the OS/2 (NT) kernal. One of the goals of the system was to create a polymorphic OS that could be deployed across a wide variety of devices. I don't mean computers, I mean everything from copying machines to sprinkler systems, to lathes and mills. The power of the OS was the ability to rewrite the core functions as needed. This wasn't a flaw, it was the point. But anyone with the skill could rewrite the core functions, which means virus writers and other bad guys. XP and any NT core machine will always be vulnerable to that sort of attack.

Starting with Windows Vista, Microsoft moved to the Longhorn kernal. It has a locked zero ring. It cannot be highjacked, nor can it be customized the way OS/2 could be.

The web browser had nothing to do with the vulnerability of XP, it was the kernal.

"nonsense"? :lol: If an XP user stopped going online how would they be hacked? The browser is the whole enchalada, not some zero-ring NONSENSE.
You don't have to be online, all you have to do is be connected to the internet and have the device powered up (even if it's in sleep mode).

I give XP another year at most before it is completely abandoned like Win 98 / 2000.
At that point it will only be useful for non-internet uses like playing old games.

Not until Norton and Firefox abandon us and I see no indication that's going to happen. Read the numbers in the OP....181M machines (almost the same as 8.1)...nobody in their right mind gives up on those numbers without somebody else stepping up to replace them. And the XP numbers are holding steady despite all the dire forecasts from MS.
You use Norton? There are free and much cheaper alternatives that are just as good if not better.

You don't have to be online, all you have to do is be connected to the internet and have the device powered up (even if it's in sleep mode).

Remember the part where I said my box gets 6 hours of sleep a night? One of the first clients of mine with an online business told me never to let the computer sit idle at night....that's when the euro-trash and slants are hard at it. Plus the rest keeps the fan from working overtime because when that starts failing, the capacitors start to heat up and bulge.

I'd rate XP as the most stable Windows iteration. Win 7 is next. The rest are embarrassments. Windows 8 was so bad they skipped Windows 9 so the public would think it's been years since you had to use Windows 8.

How can you have unlimited resources and money to hire the best, by far, software people money can buy, and you still produce mediocrity. While other people with far less resources can produce great stuff.

Note: For anyone that has gotten the Windows 10 forced upgrade thing you can end that by finding and deleting update KB3035583.

You use Norton? There are free and much cheaper alternatives that are just as good if not better.

It's free with my DSL from Centurylink....I always hear Norton is this and that, but I'm liking the price and the newer one I have, (not 360) is quite good.

I'd rate XP as the most stable Windows iteration. Win 7 is next. The rest are embarrassments. Windows 8 was so bad they skipped Windows 9 so the public would think it's been years since you had to use Windows 8.

How can you have unlimited resources and money to hire the best, by far, software people money can buy, and you still produce mediocrity. While other people with far less resources can produce great stuff.

Note: For anyone that has gotten the Windows 10 forced upgrade thing you can end that by finding and deleting update KB3035583.

Windows engineers got caught up in the "cutting edge" game and forgot what their customers wanted and relied on is my bet. XP is like an AK-47, (not the 74), throw it in lake, bury it in mud, beat it against a tree....it will still power up and sit there waiting for you to wake up too. :lol:

Remember the part where I said my box gets 6 hours of sleep a night? One of the first clients of mine with an online business told me never to let the computer sit idle at night....that's when the euro-trash and slants are hard at it. Plus the rest keeps the fan from working overtime because when that starts failing, the capacitors start to heat up and bulge.
Yeah, that's well known but it only takes being online once. Again, just trying to get you to see your faith in XP is pretty much wishful thinking unless you never go online with it and it has no wifi or ethernet cable connected that can be remotely turned on.

Yeah, that's well known but it only takes being online once. Again, just trying to get you to see your faith in XP is pretty much wishful thinking unless you never go online with it and it has no wifi or ethernet cable connected that can be remotely turned on.

Like I said, I know the risks and am less apprehensive now that I know I can function with W7. Still, and this may seem bizarre, when I pull out the laptop, I throw a towel over the Dimension desktop so she can't see me cheating on her. :badgrin:

I'm confident my router can't be hacked....passcode protected and I've never used the wifi aspect of it....when I use the laptop online, I plug the DSL cable into it. If I'm running slow I always check to make sure I'm the single user.

Like I said, I know the risks and am less apprehensive now that I know I can function with W7. Still, and this may seem bizarre, when I pull out the laptop, I throw a towel over the Dimension desktop so she can't see me cheating on her. :badgrin:
Like I’ve said before, what ever you choose for you is right for you, I just know using XP is quadrupling your risk. :dunno:
I couldn't run XP if I wanted (and I don't), all five of my computers are too new to run it properly. Even running XP mode in Win 7 on my very fast and powerful gaming desktop is slow as molasses in winter.
What's strange is while I had issues with Win 10 on my laptop and gaming desktop we've had no problems with Win 10 on the Lenovo Yoga 2 or my wife's (slightly) older laptop.

Like I’ve said before, what ever you choose for you is right for you, I just know using XP is quadrupling your risk. :dunno:
I couldn't run XP if I wanted (and I don't), all five of my computers are too new to run it properly. Even running XP mode in Win 7 on my very fast and powerful gaming desktop is slow as molasses in winter.
What's strange is while I had issues with Win 10 on my laptop and gaming desktop we've had no problems with Win 10 on the Lenovo Yoga 2 or my wife's (slightly) older laptop.
XP Mode is hardware emulation, pretty much like Virtual PC 2007, but the layer is not visible. Hardware emulation requires a lot of your PC's performance.

XP Mode is hardware emulation, pretty much like Virtual PC 2007, but the layer is not visible. Hardware emulation requires a lot of your PC's performance.
Yeah, I noticed.

And emulation rarely works correctly. Some old programs work fine, others you get a long list of weird things going on. On old game I tried on Win 7 had various colored 'speckles' on screen.

Maybe I should add that I never touched a computer until I was 54. You tech marvels most likely grew up with them....not me. In fact, for a couple years I pretended to know what computer users were talking about when I didn't....kind of like an illiterate pretending he can read a newspaper. :lol:

So all I really know are W98 and XP and enough 7-Pro to get by if I have to and eventually will full time. But the truth is this old Dimension E521 was all I had and could afford after the 2008 financial massacre and other than a new mouse and monitor, it's been a trouble-free workhorse and I expect it to see 2017, Lord willing and the creeks don't rise.

And emulation rarely works correctly. Some old programs work fine, others you get a long list of weird things going on. On old game I tried on Win 7 had various colored 'speckles' on screen.
Windows is emulating a very weak GPU.

Maybe I should add that I never touched a computer until I was 54. You tech marvels most likely grew up with them....not me. In fact, for a couple years I pretended to know what computer users were talking about when I didn't....kind of like an illiterate pretending he can read a newspaper. :lol:

So all I really know are W98 and XP and enough 7-Pro to get by if I have to and eventually will full time. But the truth is this old Dimension E521 was all I had and could afford after the 2008 financial massacre and other than a new mouse and monitor, it's been a trouble-free workhorse and I expect it to see 2017, Lord willing and the creeks don't rise.
I'm almost 62, started learning computers on my own about 18-20 years ago, most of what I know is self taught and most of the people posting in this thread know scads more than I do in many areas. Compared to them I'm a hobbyist. While I do know about lots of computer related things I don't know how to do or find many. Like I know how viruses, etc work and how they are delivered, as for checking a system using advanced tools..... haven't a clue. I can load and configure operating systems based on the options available via GIF but I have no idea how to code or even set up macros, never done either.
I can take computers apart and rebuild them or build new systems, it's not hard with a little research and a little knowledge of what to look for. That knowledge was gained due to necessity, I've always wanted to see how things worked and managed to screw up a few computers experimenting. :lol:

Some here think I'm some computer guru, not true however I am pretty savvy about using Google to find solutions....... :D

I figured out that Chrome is not good for XP x64.

You will get this on each secured https conection and you can´t proceed to the link when clicking advanced:
cxp.jpg

So I tried to get around this nonsense.
Result: Chrome does not allow https on XP with Service Pack 3 not installed. And now guess:
XP x64 doesn´t have a Service Pack 3. SP2 for Windows 2003/XP x64 includes the stuff of SP3 but this is not Chrome´s point...

For the interested:
Chrome 50 on XP 64 does show an error message about some entry point that cannot be found in a Windows dll.

Forum List

Back