Wi-Fi on a personal computer

shadow355

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2015
My hide site
I bought a lap top computer ( A Dell ) to write a book on. I bought it specifically for Microsoft Word.

It is internet capable and has Windows, but I don't hook up to the internet for security reasons - and I don't want to take the chance that my book, on the computer as well as a thumb drive, will be seen.

When I first got the computer all was well. After about two months after I got it ; the blue "Wi-Fi" light came on on the top left side. So the primary question is = Does that mean I am picking up a Wi-Fi signal?

I did not turn on "Wi-Fi" - the light just suddenly and without cause just lit up.

Secondary Question = Can someone with Wi-Fi hack my computer, and see its contents?

Shadow 355

I bought a lap top computer ( A Dell ) to write a book on. I bought it specifically for Microsoft Word.

It is internet capable and has Windows, but I don't hook up to the internet for security reasons - and I don't want to take the chance that my book, on the computer as well as a thumb drive, will be seen.

When I first got the computer all was well. After about two months after I got it ; the blue "Wi-Fi" light came on on the top left side. So the primary question is = Does that mean I am picking up a Wi-Fi signal?

Secondary Question = Can someone with Wi-Fi hack my computer, and see its contents?

Shadow 355

It means you have the ability to pick up wifi. I don't know that wifi can reach out and grab your computer unless you authorize it. Unless you have your computer settings adjusted to search and connect to available wifi. Look in your settings.

In theory someone can hack into your computer and see its contents, if they know how to remote in and can beat your security. The reality is that it's not likely to happen for the sake of your book. Save your stuff on a flash drive if you're that worried about it.

You should be able to disable that by putting "Airplane Mode" on. It makes the computer not-connect to a WiFi signal so you don't disrupt navigation while flying.

However, connecting to a signal does require action on your part anyway, even if it's an unsecured connection, so you would have had to set it up. Of course you could do both -- not connect to a signal AND put the Airplane Mode on.

But as Kg sez, save it on a flash drive. But then don't lose that flash drive.

Shadow 355

It means you have the ability to pick up wifi. I don't know that wifi can reach out and grab your computer unless you authorize it. Unless you have your computer settings adjusted to search and connect to available wifi. Look in your settings.

In theory someone can hack into your computer and see its contents, if they know how to remote in and can beat your security. The reality is that it's not likely to happen for the sake of your book. Save your stuff on a flash drive if you're that worried about it.

Saved on the flash drive, and backed up on the lap top. When I take the flash drive for consideration in printing, I want a copy of the book on the laptop ; along with a log of all the dates I worked on the book and a actual log of it.

I dont want a publisher or someone else to steal my book.

Shadow 355

I did not turn on "Wi-Fi" - the light just suddenly and without cause just lit up.

Shadow 355

Answer One:

Yes you are picking up a signal.

Answer Two:

I had a Acer that allowed me to turn off my Wi-Fi adapter but the two laptops I have now do not allow me to do this, and I believe your wi-fi can be turned on by remote but could be wrong...

You bought the wrong computer if you are paranoid about security. Period.
All Win 10 computers have Cortana. And Cortana uploads data to Microsoft even if you have WiFi disabled.
Cortana uploads 10MB of data a day or more. Including keystrokes.
You should have installed Linux or bought an older PC

All Win 10 computers have Cortana. And Cortana uploads data to Microsoft even if you have WiFi disabled.

Actually he didn't say what version of Windblows he got or how long ago he acquired it.

I'm still resisting 10 and holding 8, not that I'm a proponent of 8 but at least it ain't 10. Due to the workload its drivers started screwing up and I bought a second one, used off eBay, for under a hundred bucks (this year) with 8 on it. It's not for writing but it's dedicated (for working with media files) and it's worked out fine. That could be an option, OP, if you did get stuck with 10.

Actually he didn't say what version of Windblows he got or how long ago he acquired it.

I'm still resisting 10 and holding 8, not that I'm a proponent of 8 but at least it ain't 10. Due to the workload its drivers started screwing up and I bought a second one, used off eBay, for under a hundred bucks (this year) with 8 on it. It's not for writing but it's dedicated (for working with media files) and it's worked out fine. That could be an option, OP, if you did get stuck with 10.
Upgraded early on to Win 10, seemed to work fine but then started having intermittent problems with it on this laptop then my gaming desktop finished an upgrade and went into perpetual boot loop. Had to do a complete reset and lost everything that was on it, had to reload everything....... That computer is now running Win 7 Pro. The laptop I switched over to Ubuntu which ended up with one problem, it wouldn't wake up from sleep requiring a reboot every time so I reinstalled Win 7 on it. Unfortunately this laptop is built for Win 8, Win 10 so not all the Win 7 drivers worked as well as they should. The biggest issue was having to reset the wifi card 2 or 3 times a day so I decided to give Win 10 another shot. Installed a program that blocked Microsoft's telemetry, uninstalled much of their bloatware and did a few other tweaks. Worked fine for 3 days till after the first update, then all of a sudden I couldn't get online. The computer told me the wifi was connected and that everything was working properly but everytime I opened a browser the browser would tell me "no internet access".
I'm now back to running Ubuntu on it, I've turned off the sleep function and I just turn it off when I go to bed, no other problems whatsoever. :thup:

It is still possible to get my tool collections for Windows 8 and 10.
Tool collections? Don't know what that is. :dunno:
In fact, I was not satisfied with Windows 8. It is fast and reliable but it peeves with things like UAC, start screen, design and more.
So I gathered tools that can make Windows 8 not only work like Windows 7 but also look good. Of course, I tested the tools for weeks before I offered them to others.

Windows 8:
xiutl4ks.jpg

Windows 8 Tips and Support

In fact, I was not satisfied with Windows 8. It is fast and reliable but it peeves with things like UAC, start screen, design and more.
So I gathered tools that can make Windows 8 not only work like Windows 7 but also look good. Of course, I tested the tools for weeks before I offered them to others.

Windows 8:
xiutl4ks.jpg

I know Startisback and Classic Shell work on 10 as for the rest...... :dunno:
This is what I used to block telemetry:

Downloads / Other / Block Telemetry Rules file for Windows 10

Most M$ bloatware on 10 can be easily and safely uninstalled (Winero has an app for that) but Cortana and Edge cannot without causing stability issues. Also with Cortana if it's uninstalled you lose the search function in Windows Explorer.
Plus if someone likes the old Windows Games that used to come with Windows (Solitaire, Hearts, etc.) Winero has that for downloading and installing.

Windows 8:
xiutl4ks.jpg

Most M$ bloatware on 10 can be easily and safely uninstalled (Winero has an app for that) but Cortana and Edge cannot without causing stability issues. Also with Cortana if it's uninstalled you lose the search function in Windows Explorer.
Plus if someone likes the old Windows Games that used to come with Windows (Solitaire, Hearts, etc.) Winero has that for downloading and installing.
Startisback can block Cortana from starting. However, get Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2015.

For if you dare:
Download Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB N Privacy en-US x64 Torrent - Kickass Torrents

Windows 8:
xiutl4ks.jpg

Startisback can block Cortana from starting. However, get Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2015.

For if you dare:
Download Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB N Privacy en-US x64 Torrent - Kickass Torrents
Nah, with all the problems I’ve had with Win 10 on this laptop I'm gonna stick with Ubuntu.

Windows 8:
xiutl4ks.jpg

For if you dare:
Nah, with all the problems I’ve had with Win 10 on this laptop I'm gonna stick with Ubuntu.
Also get Parted Magic.

Windows 8:
xiutl4ks.jpg

For if you dare:
Also get Parted Magic.
Why? I have no need for it. :dunno:

Windows 8:
xiutl4ks.jpg

For if you dare:
Also get Parted Magic.
You would not have lost all your data if you´d have had such a tool.

For if you dare:
Also get Parted Magic.
You would not have lost all your data if you´d have had such a tool.
It wasn't really "lost", I just had to reinstall Steam and all my games, including some in my Amazon library plus the typical programs I use like Firefox, Chrome, Avast, CCleaner and Malwarebytes, a pain in the butt but not really that big of a deal. Any documents, photos, etc never are stored on my computers, they always go to a thumb drive or onto a DVD, I tend to keep my hard drives uncluttered just in case.

Windows 8:
xiutl4ks.jpg

Thank you kindly Ringle...Cortana is still eating memory but has sent 0 mbs of data over the network.
Nice

Forum List

Back