Eye Of The ZOMBIE.....XP STILL ROCKING ON!

Tom Horn

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2015
NEARBY
My 2008 Dell Demension E521 with XP (SP3) still humming along like the first day it arrived. I beefed up the memory and use Firefox, which in my opinion is why I'm still able to use XP. Most if not all of Windows problems come through using IE. CCcleaner and Malwarebytes along with a very aggressive AV complete the security end. I also use an air compressor to blow dust out of the tower every other month and let it rest 6 hours a night. Am I timid about where I post and get my streaming? Nope...using some common sense, I go anywhere I please.....along with over 181,000,000 other ZOMBIE diehards. :terror:

The 12% represented approximately 181 million PCs when compared against the 1.5 billion Windows personal computers worldwide, a number that Microsoft has regularly cited.

That number put XP as No. 4 among Microsoft's editions, behind Windows 7, which powered an estimated 861 million systems, Windows 10 (235 million), and Windows 8/8.1 (199 million).

Windows_XP_SP3.png

Zombie OS: Windows XP still powers 181M PCs two years after support ends

Last edited:
  • Banned
Windows XP Is Still a Favorite Among Hackers

Psst..... Using Firefox or Chrome won't help, that's not where the XP vulnerabilities are........

Bah.....it's exactly where the vulnerabilities are. I don't know if you've used FireFox but when it finds a counterfeit page it red flags you....proceed at your peril. I used IE for years and was hit numerous times on sites you wouldn't suspect. Since Mozilla entered the picture, I don't even get the POP's anymore. Most of the "vulnerabilities" claims are MS propaganda. :cool-45:

Windows XP Is Still a Favorite Among Hackers

Psst..... Using Firefox or Chrome won't help, that's not where the XP vulnerabilities are........

Bah.....it's exactly where the vulnerabilities are. I don't know if you've used FireFox but when it finds a counterfeit page it red flags you....proceed at your peril. I used IE for years and was hit numerous times on sites you wouldn't suspect. Since Mozilla entered the picture, I don't even get the POP's anymore. :cool-45:
I've been using Firefox for decades and the red flag isn't always correct and doesn't always pick up attack sites. Besides, if you know anything about how computers are infected and it appears you don't, you'd know that with it just leaving it turned on and not even being on the net it can still be hacked. Hackers use the known vulnerabilities, send out "wake up" packets, find the vulnerability and take advantage of it.

• Banned
I've been using Firefox for decades and the red flag isn't always correct and doesn't always pick up attack sites. Besides, if you know anything about how computers are infected and it appears you don't, you'd know that with it just leaving it turned on and not even being on the net it can still be hacked. Hackers use the known vulnerabilities, send out "wake up" packets, find the vulnerability and take advantage of it.

It appears I know more about how I've been hacked than you ever could and I haven't been since FireFox. Don't try to pull some horseshit rank on me here.....I've been using this system for 8 years and know what's up with it. I listed my security program but didn't name my AV since you or some other poster might use that to your advantage. My registry is checked every morning and I clean out my cookies and add-ons before shutting down. I'm not saying I can't get hacked and if I am, since I never access my banking or CC information online, they don't get squat.

It appears I know more about how I've been hacked than you ever could and I haven't been since FireFox. Don't try to pull some horseshit rank on me here.....I've been using this system for 8 years and know what's up with it. I listed my security program but didn't name my AV since you or some other poster might use that to your advantage. My registry is checked every morning and I clean out my cookies and add-ons before shutting down. I'm not saying I can't get hacked and if I am, since I never access my banking or CC information online, they don't get squat.
I wasn't tying to "one up" you, simply trying to get you to see your sense of security is based on a false presumption so no need to get your feathers all in a ruffle. As for not using it for banking that's a smart move on your part. I would not use if for my advantage, former law enforcement with extensive knowledge in how hacking occurs so, again, your apparent assumption and defensive attitude is not called for.

• Banned
I wasn't tying to "one up" you, simply trying to get you to see your sense of security is based on a false presumption so no need to get your feathers all in a ruffle. As for not using it for banking that's a smart move on your part. I would not use if for my advantage, former law enforcement with extensive knowledge in how hacking occurs so, again, your apparent assumption and defensive attitude is not called for.

You said I didn't understand how I'd get hacked....pretty bold assumption since you only know what I've told you about my XP security. I replied in kind which I guess you didn't expect. No harm, no foul. I also use a registry sweep that returns it to default settings....no way a trojan horse can lurk in there with this: sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\services.exe

You said I didn't understand how I'd get hacked....pretty bold assumption since you only know what I've told you about my XP security. I replied in kind which I guess you didn't expect. No harm, no foul. I also use a registry sweep that returns it to default settings....no way a trojan horse can lurk in there with this: sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\services.exe
Hey, whatever floats your boat, was simply trying to help, obviously you think trojans are the only threat out there...... Good luck, hopefully your computer isn't already a bot right now. :thup:

XP is fine.
Yeah but basically wide open, to many vulnerabilities that can be exploited in any number of ways.
If you have been hacked you have attracted someone´s attention in the normal case.
I personally think that XP is save to use. It has over a decade of extensive usage behind it with plenty of vulnerabilities discovered and fixed. In reality, it could be saver than any other OS.

XP is fine.
Yeah but basically wide open, to many vulnerabilities that can be exploited in any number of ways.
If you have been hacked you have attracted someone´s attention in the normal case.
I personally think that XP is save to use. It has over a decade of extensive usage behind it with plenty of vulnerabilities discovered and fixed. In reality, it could be saver than any other OS.
Not with new vulnerabilities discovered since M$ stopped patches. You wouldn't use WEP to secure your wifi would you?

XP is fine.
Not with new vulnerabilities discovered since M$ stopped patches. You wouldn't use WEP to secure your wifi would you?
Yes, I would. The professional hacking my network doesn´t care and the noob trying to get in will fail anyway. So called Penetration Testing Distributions provide the tools you need to hack a w-lan with little effort.
As for XP, I recommend XP x64 that combines the safety of Windows 2003 (uses the 2003 kernel) and the compatibility of XP.
It has not the best third party driver support, though.

XP is fine.
XP is fine.
Yes, I would. The professional hacking my network doesn´t care and the noob trying to get in will fail anyway. So called Penetration Testing Distributions provide the tools you need to hack a w-lan with little effort.
As for XP, I recommend XP x64 that combines the safety of Windows 2003 (uses the 2003 kernel) and the compatibility of XP.
Very little is going to stop a determined professional hacker and that's not what I meant by it. I guess I should have ask if the majority of normal users would use WEP, they wouldn't.
As for XP being secure...... we'll have to agree to disagree, the vast majority of bots are still XP run machines which are still in major use around the world.

XP is fine.
XP is fine.
Very little is going to stop a determined professional hacker and that's not what I meant by it. I guess I should have ask if the majority of normal users would use WEP, they wouldn't.
As for XP being secure...... we'll have to agree to disagree, the vast majority of bots are still XP run machines which are still in major use around the world.
I don´t think that the OS the bots are running on, matters.

XP is fine.
My point is that XP is more susceptible to being turned into a bot than the preceding releases, read the link I provided the OP.

My point is that XP is more susceptible to being turned into a bot than the preceding releases, read the link I provided the OP.
Really? Half of the infected PCs in the article do not run XP and it is the same bot.

Last I heard approx. 40% of businesses are still using Windows XP.
In all honesty - can you imagine them using Windows 10??? With all of the startup problems, system freezes, software freezes?? It would be like going back to Windows 95.

MS screwed Windows to create a cross platform system but it is unsuccessful in the mobile sector and all the efforts are in vain. If I had a say there I would make a new Windows without harassment and unnecessary stuff, leaving advanced stuff to third party developers.

Forum List

Back