Extracurricular Activities

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
For the past 40 years or so I have had to listen to friends, neighbors, and relatives going on (and on) about their kids' activities. Band, football, chess, whatever.

A good friend's grand-daughter is a cheerleader. 16-years old, she spends, on average 19 hours a week (according to her mother) during the school year on cheerleading stuff, and goes to at least four week-long "camps" in the summer. I won't go into whether it is a "sport" or not (clearly it's not), but I have to wonder about the thought process that parents go through to determine that this is a worthwhile way for the said daughter to spend such a huge portion of her "free" time. Indeed, when you take out for sleep, school, studying, and eating, these 19 hours probably consume three-quarters of the time available.

It is said that she might get a scholarship for "cheer." As perverse as that is, I accepted it for true. But is it worth it? If she spent half that time studying (in addition to what she already does), she could get an academic scholarship. And what about the money? This activity involves transportation, special clothing, meals out, lodgings for the girl and her posse, fees of various kinds, and who knows how many hours of time for her parents. I would venture to say that if the family saved the money now wasted on "cheer," and she worked a part-time job (which is now out of the question), the savings might go a long way toward PAYING for her college tuition.

And not to be a complete wet blanket, but NOBODY goes to any sports event to see the cheerleaders, and NOBODY gives a shit about the cheers. Do you think that the people in the stands wish more fervently for their team to prevail because these bunnies are bouncing around and screaming at them? All the more reason to go to the toilet during breaks in the action.

I suspect that this whole thing is an attempt by the mother to vicariously live her high school experience over again, THIS TIME as a cheerleader.

It's pathetic.

It is completely up to them as to worth. Go pee on some other parade.

Forum List

Back