Extending presidiential terms to 12 years

I think term limits should go. There are mechanisms in place for 'bad' officials both periodical votes as well as the impeachment process in between. iirc, term limits were put in place when fdr was elected for his third term (which he only served part of before dying).

Actually FDR was elected president 4 times.

First term : March 4 1933
Second term : January 20, 1937
Third term : January 20, 1941
Fourth term : January 20, 1945

He died on April 12, 1945.

The term limit ammendment was added because of FDR's four terms by Republicans after the war. FDR was elected to four terms in large part because of the war.

In times of crisis, people tend to gravitate towards dictatorships.

Originally posted by JIHADTHIS
...their was serious talk of extending Guiliani's term after 9/11......

As a New Yorker, I gained alot of respect for him for his handling of post-911 events. Seeing him on my street, 5 blocks from Ground Zero, the day of the attacks and for days to come and seeing him constantly answering reporters questions and assuring the people of the ciy and the world that ther was a solid figure(himself) in control put people at ease. I don't think that the level of cooperation by law enforcement, medical personnel, etc. would have been achieved and in such a timely fashion were Bloomy in control.:p:

Well, let's just hope that if there is a similar situation "the system" is ready, minus the leadership of Rudolph. And yes, there was a lot of speculation that term limits might be extended so that Rudy could remain in office. Actually, there was talk of Bloomy letting him stay on for a few months just to ensure a smooth transition.

Term limits are needed because otherwise youget carreer politicians who ride their name forever and get nothing done because they know they wont get eleceted out of office. I.e Teddy Kennedy, John KErry, Arlen Spector, Strom Thurman, etc.

That is why we have term limits. Because in a Republic where people arent always paying attention to who they are voting for, its a mechanism to prevent bad politicians from ruling like a dictator. While it might punish good politicians like Bush, its neccassary to have term limits.

Would people have really wanted another 4 or 8 years of CLinton? Would liberals really want another 4 or 8 years after 2004-2008 of Bush? I'd suspect not.

I go with what seems to be the consensus on this one, I'm against extending the term right now, but if we could get multiple parties going, then I'd be quite alright with extension.

Originally posted by preemptingyou03
Does anybody else support extending the max a president can serve is three terms? Three, four-year terms, at the most? Everything would stay the same, except the president would be able to run for re-election twice...

Does anybody else support this change? I think someone can do much more in 12 years than in 8 years.

Are you fucking nuts? America will barely survive four years of Dubbyuh. And Goatboy's eight years in office brought shame to the presidency.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
Are you fucking nuts? America will barely survive four years of Dubbyuh. And Goatboy's eight years in office brought shame to the presidency.

I think we need to limit the amount of consecutive years you can serve in office. I think the prez should be allowed to serve 2 full terms if properly elected. Then he takes a full term off. Once his "time out" is done, he is eligible to repeat.

That means that everyones favorite dope smoking, draft dodging, womanizing, lier should be allowed to run against W in 04. Not that he win or anything..............

Personally I think that this could be adapted for the Senate and House as well. It would have the effect of placing the seniors in a junior position after each "time out". No sitting as head of the HASC for twenty years etc.

Forum List

Back