Extending presidiential terms to 12 years

Mar 18, 2004
Does anybody else support extending the max a president can serve is three terms? Three, four-year terms, at the most? Everything would stay the same, except the president would be able to run for re-election twice...

Does anybody else support this change? I think someone can do much more in 12 years than in 8 years.

No, but I would have liked 12 years of Reagan and I would like 12 years of Bush.

If a leader is doing a poor job, he'd be removed from office. Bush would have beaten Clinton in 2000.

Originally posted by preemptingyou03
No, but I would have liked 12 years of Reagan and I would like 12 years of Bush.

If a leader is doing a poor job, he'd be removed from office. Bush would have beaten Clinton in 2000.

I would have liked 12 years of reagan.

saying bush would have beaten clinton wouldn't make it so, hypothesize clinton in a 3rd term, how rabid would you be right now?

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Good Point DK! I do however find it hard to believe that a single term is enough to make a change by any president, two terms should be sufficient! If no success is made by then, there should be a definite outing! On the other hand if a president should make strides I would not mind seeing them being able to go a third term, but Clinton for 12? my gosh that would of been a mess!

Reminder:

Our government was designed so that all political action would be tied up therefore slowing the corruption process.

To subvert that is surefire doom.

I want to see these guys with the original system in place. That way I can keep liberty a bit longer. -EVEN IF I LIKE THE CANDIDATE.

I think it might be a bit healthier two keep the two-term limits.
I'm not sure exactly how the term length or number were chosen (perhaps someone could fill me in) but I like things the way they are now. It's hard to imagine having the same President for 12 years if you don't like him. And likewise, even if you do, just like a stream needs movement for the water to stay clean... so does the highest office in the land. IMO

But worse than having a 3-term limit would be a 1-term limit. Clearly you can get more done in two terms than one, if you can get re-elected:rolleyes:

12 years

3 terms for president,2 terms for senators and 3 or 6 terms for representatives ( 6 or 12 years) or 3 terms for each:18 years for senators,12 years for president,6 years for representatives.
or

what do you think?

Im of the mindset that Senators and congressmen should have term limits.

The presidential term limits are a good setting. 8 years should be enough to do something or just long enough to tolerate idiocy. I however think Senators need to have 2 term limits as well. 12 years is more than enough to get done what you intended to do and then step down. These lifers(Teddy Kennedy, Arlan Spector, Strom thruman before he kicked it) in there now are whats wrong with our system. They do some small things then live off their names for another 30 years. Reps should have 4 term limits (8 years). That should be enough to get stuff done for them as well.

Politics should not be a carreer. It should be a chance to help better your nation.

Does anybody else support extending the max a president can serve is three terms? Three, four-year terms, at the most? Everything would stay the same, except the president would be able to run for re-election twice...

Does anybody else support this change? I think someone can do much more in 12 years than in 8 years.

For my man Dubya? Hell yeah! We need him!

Since we cant possibly get the congressmen to vote themselves out of power, would it be possible to get a refferendum vote on term limits?

No referendum, but a the state legislatures could call a Constitutional Convention and change the Constitution while bypassing the House and Senate.

Originally posted by Reilly
No referendum, but a the state legislatures could call a Constitutional Convention and change the Constitution while bypassing the House and Senate.

We need a Constitutional Convention for several major issues. This is one of them.

I dislike term limits. Even though it would in all likelihood have meant four more years of Clinton, I still supported an end to term limits during his Presidency, and I do now.

I should be able to vote for whoever I want. In the year 1999 we were all denied the right to vote for someone, the President of the United States.

If the majority of people in a majority of the states feel the President isn't doing a good job, or someone else could do better, they have the right to vote him out.

Artifical term limits are anti-democratic and, I believe rightly, were not a part of the original Constitution.

I don't know. If you get a bad president in there and socially our country changes for the worse, we may be stuck with Howard Dean for 28 years.

12 years is more than enough. I could go either way though.

I don't know. If you get a bad president in there and socially our country changes for the worse, we may be stuck with Howard Dean for 28 years.

Should that happen, it would be because of the stupidity of the majority of the electorate, which is what democracy is all about.

Originally posted by Zhukov
Should that happen, it would be because of the stupidity of the majority of the electorate, which is what democracy is all about.

I agree with that assessment. Isn't their a quote that "people get the government they deserve" ? If you're too busy at the mall shopping...........

Term limits can go either way, but I think they are an indictment of the stupidity of a large part of the electorate. "You people won't vote out someone who deserves it, so they are forced out for you. Now you HAVE to make a choice."

This also backfires, their was serious talk of extending Guiliani's term after 9/11......

Forum List

Back