Explain what this accomplished other than reducing supply which increases demand & $

Reasoning

Apr 15, 2010
Explain what this accomplished other than reducing supply which increases demand & profitability?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLiYLQnkpQk]YouTube - BIGGEST DRUG BUST IN HISTORY![/ame]

Explain what this accomplished other than reducing supply which increases demand & profitability?

YouTube - BIGGEST DRUG BUST IN HISTORY!

yeah...what the hell were they thinking? They should be recruiting instead of taking these guys down. The more we can get...the cheaper it is!!! And that's good for EVERYBODY! Even the crack babies!
:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

I thought this was going to be a thread about Obama making us MORE dependent of foreign oil.:eusa_eh:

yeah...what the hell were they thinking? They should be recruiting instead of taking these guys down. The more we can get...the cheaper it is!!! And that's good for EVERYBODY! Even the crack babies!

I could have sworn you asked the exact same question a minute ago. But I'll play along.

any interruption of drugs to this or any country is considered to be a good thing to most people. It's the reason that thousands and thousands of narcotics agents get up every morning and go to work. I don't think they are thinking about the profitability going up. They ARE thinking about how many people could have and would have died if all that cocaine made it to the states or elsewhere. I'm assuming you don't agree...but you asked. And that's the answer I have since you didn't like my first one.

1) Took tons of poison out of circulation
2) $28M into the US coffers
3) Pretty well accepted fact that drug cartels funnel money to terrorists
4) Untold lives saved from being ruined by drugs
5) If they can smuggle drugs into the US they can certainly smuggle other things or people into the US

Why do value human life so little that you want drugs to be rampant?

I see someone skipped Eco 101

Reducing supply does NOT increase demand

Reducing supply increases the price, which REDUCES demand

History teaches us nothing huh.... It just goes right over our heads.

The Opium War, also called the Anglo-Chinese War, was the most humiliating defeat China ever suffered. In European history, it is perhaps the most sordid, base, and vicious event in European history, possibly, just possibly, overshadowed by the excesses of the Third Reich in the twentieth century.

By the 1830's, the English had become the major drug-trafficking criminal organization in the world; very few drug cartels of the twentieth century can even touch the England of the early nineteenth century in sheer size of criminality. Growing opium in India, the East India Company shipped tons of opium into Canton which it traded for Chinese manufactured goods and for tea. This trade had produced, quite literally, a country filled with drug addicts, as opium parlors proliferated all throughout China in the early part of the nineteenth century. This trafficing, it should be stressed, was a criminal activity after 1836, but the British traders generously bribed Canton officials in order to keep the opium traffic flowing. The effects on Chinese society were devestating. In fact, there are few periods in Chinese history that approach the early nineteenth century in terms of pure human misery and tragedy. In an effort to stem the tragedy, the imperial government made opium illegal in 1836 and began to aggressively close down the opium dens.

Lin Tse-hsü
The key player in the prelude to war was a brilliant and highly moral official named Lin Tse-hsü. Deeply concerned about the opium menace, he maneuverd himself into being appointed Imperial Commissioner at Canton. His express purpose was to cut off the opium trade at its source by rooting out corrupt officials and cracking down on British trade in the drug.

He took over in March of 1839 and within two months, absolutely invulnerable to bribery and corruption, he had taken action against Chinese merchants and Western traders and shut down all the traffic in opium. He destroyed all the existing stores of opium and, victorious in his war against opium, he composed a letter to Queen Victoria of England requesting that the British cease all opium trade. His letter included the argument that, since Britain had made opium trade and consumption illegal in England because of its harmful effects, it should not export that harm to other countries. Trade, according to Lin, should only be in beneficial objects.

To be fair to England, if the only issue on the table were opium, the English probably (just probably) would have acceded to Lin's request. The British, however, had been nursing several grievances against China, and Lin's take-no-prisoners enforcement of Chinese laws combined to outrage the British against his decapitation of the opium trade. The most serious bone of contention involved treaty relations; because the British refused to submit to the emperor, there were no formal treaty relations between the two countries. The most serious problem precipitated by this lack of treaty relations involved the relationship between foreigners and Chinese law. The British, on principle, refused to hand over British citizens to a Chinese legal system that they felt was vicious and barbaric. The Chinese, equally principled, demanded that all foreigners who were accused of committing crimes on Chinese soil were to be dealt with solely by Chinese officials. In many ways, this was the real issue of the Opium War. In addition to enforcing the opium laws, Lin aggressively pursued foreign nationals accused of crimes.

The English, despite Lin's eloquent letter, refused to back down from the opium trade. In response, Lin threatened to cut off all trade with England and expel all English from China. Thus began the Opium War.

Ch'ing China: The Opium Wars

How many lives need to be destroyed before people can just learn to say no????

Eco 405....

Whether its' oil or drugs, the basic laws of supply and demand no longer apply, due to a 3rd price determinent.........CARTELS.

Eco 405....

Whether its' oil or drugs, the basic laws of supply and demand no longer apply, due to a 3rd price determinent.........CARTELS.
Exactly. The cartels control the price of drugs because they're illegal. OPEC controls the price of oil because they control the supply spigot...the demand is constantly growing.

Eco 405....

Exactly. The cartels control the price of drugs because they're illegal. OPEC controls the price of oil because they control the supply spigot...the demand is constantly growing.

In both of these commodities, both drugs and oil, and due to the nature of these commodities, there is always a growing demand as global population increases.
CARTELS already know that. What CARTELS deceive us about is the supply. For example, when gas was over 4 bucks a gallon a few years ago, many an expert said that the supply of oil was sufficient. So like a good magician, the CARTELS blamed lack of oil refineries, oil futures traders blamed the lack of oil supply to the refineries, and they both blamed most of the demand coming from the emergent nations of India and China (especially when explaining the high cost of diesel!)
To this day, we still don't know where the responsibility lies for the higher prices.
Whatever the case was/is, basic supply/demand economics is no longer a sufficient analytic tool.

I could have sworn you asked the exact same question a minute ago. But I'll play along.

any interruption of drugs to this or any country is considered to be a good thing to most people. It's the reason that thousands and thousands of narcotics agents get up every morning and go to work. I don't think they are thinking about the profitability going up. They ARE thinking about how many people could have and would have died if all that cocaine made it to the states or elsewhere. I'm assuming you don't agree...but you asked. And that's the answer I have since you didn't like my first one.

1) drug agents are traitors to freedom loving people
2) those people that may have died if the cocaine got to America should have personal responsibility and not depend on us spending billions to prevent them from doing something stupid. their death is better for the gene pool

1) Took tons of poison out of circulation
2) $28M into the US coffers
3) Pretty well accepted fact that drug cartels funnel money to terrorists
4) Untold lives saved from being ruined by drugs
5) If they can smuggle drugs into the US they can certainly smuggle other things or people into the US

Why do value human life so little that you want drugs to be rampant?

people should be free to choose if they ruin their life on drugs or not. our billions (now over 1 trillion) should not be spent trying to save people from themselves.

assuming the demand stayed constant (which it would since random drug user X doesn't care if cartels or stopped, they just want their drugs), then it implies that increase has raised in relation to supply AND profitability will increase for dealers since their is less product

especially the crack babies

especially the emotional appeals that should have no effect on law and our liberties

2) those people that may have died if the cocaine got to America should have personal responsibility and not depend on us spending billions to prevent them from doing something stupid. their death is better for the gene pool

So people who dedicate their lives to limiting the poison available to your children are traitors? Good grief.

So people who dedicate their lives to limiting the poison available to your children are traitors? Good grief.

are you stupid?
my children will have just as much access to drugs whether DEA agents are out ruining the lives of people with joints and dimes of weed or not.
Also, it will be much worse for my children if they do try drugs because they have no idea if its laced or not, unlike if the drugs were legal and made by companies as they would be required by law not to poison it or lace it with things.

are you stupid?
my children will have just as much access to drugs whether DEA agents are out ruining the lives of people with joints and dimes of weed or not.
Also, it will be much worse for my children if they do try drugs because they have no idea if its laced or not, unlike if the drugs were legal and made by companies as they would be required by law not to poison it or lace it with things.

Do you have to debase every thread by being a child towards those who disagree with you? I asked a simple question that could equally have been answered by "yes I do think drugs should be legal"

The fact that you think people who uphold laws are traitors speaks volumes about you.

Forum List

Back