Expanded and Improved Medicare for All Act: comprehensive universal coverage

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by ScienceRocks, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,866
    I lived on the border of Canada and the US (Seattle) and I am old enough to remember when Canada first instituted its national health care program. I remember that at first Canadians didn't like it, complained about it, etc. Now they love it and have for decades. It's a matter of getting used to a new way of doing things. That's why progressives are progressives: we believe in progress and welcome and embrace it. Dinos like the cons hate and fear anything new and different. They are the ones blocking universal health care in the US: their fear is blocking it. It is irrational and childish. I have lived in Europe in a country with universal health care and it is a great thing. I don't mind tax dollars going toward it. It doesn't cost any more than personal insurance premiums for health care coverage and the coverage is complete.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. shockedcanadian

shockedcanadian Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,241
    I don't prefer a single payer system. I am supportive of healthcare for all, but I prefer a two tier system. One in which private businesses enter the system. It would take a great deal of strain out of the already over extended system and also provide a multitude of options for those who can afford it, those have or wish additional insurance and, for those who get additional benefits at work.

The reality is, with the excessive costs of healthcare, it's simply unsustainable.

3. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,650
    I think the problem is that they're intellectually restricted by their partisan political ideology.

They start with a premise that the government can't be part of any solution, and then work backwards from there. So all of their answers are only going to come from half of the available options.

It's like a painter trying to create a bold, complicated masterpiece with only half a color palette. He's choosing to work against himself. Why?

This is why the GOP couldn't back up its eight-year lie that it had a better health care plan. It can't be done with only half the available options. Clearly.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  4. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,650
    Yes, the government works closely with the private sector on it, and it's an excellent public/private blend of foundational coverage and dynamic free market competition.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  5. gipper

gipper Libertarian/Anarchist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,977
    Until HC costs are somehow controlled, nothing will improve. The American HC system is a racketeering operation designed to enrich big hospital and big pharma. It is then expected that these enriched enterprises pay kickbacks to politicians and government officials for protection from competition and regulation. Costs raise year after year, thanks to a criminal government.

The opioid problem in America is a perfect example of how this racket works.

It is all about greed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. debbiedowner

debbiedowner Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,604
    Medicare isn't 100% single payer.

I don't prefer Medicare for all just 50 or 55 on up and going back to the old underwritten system of under these ages and if someone is declined for medical reasons then they can buy in early to Medicare. Insurance rates just might be a lot lower for the healthy that were on just old regular health insurance.

7. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,015
    Cons keep repeating the horror stories provided them by medical insurance companies, who have everything to lose.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1