Expanded and Improved Medicare for All Act: comprehensive universal coverage

Yes, you too can get the Canadian healthcare experience.

You too can wait months for an MRI and have your stage 1 cancer escalate to stage 3. You too can die in a hospital hallway as there isn't a room available for you (a cost saving measure in our system is having you perish quickly). You too can have a torn bicep, have it under diagnosed, untreated and heal in pain without surgery. You too can have a destroyed knee that requires a replacement, limp around for 6 months with a cane waiting for the initial ASSESSMENT with the knee replacement surgeon.

All of this, while costs soar, quality is down and state actors and their families receive first dibs and better access to treatment, because, you know, they are from a more important caste.
Canadians are overwhelmingly in favor of their national healthcare program.
New poll shows Canadians overwhelmingly support public health care
I lived on the border of Canada and the US (Seattle) and I am old enough to remember when Canada first instituted its national health care program. I remember that at first Canadians didn't like it, complained about it, etc. Now they love it and have for decades. It's a matter of getting used to a new way of doing things. That's why progressives are progressives: we believe in progress and welcome and embrace it. Dinos like the cons hate and fear anything new and different. They are the ones blocking universal health care in the US: their fear is blocking it. It is irrational and childish. I have lived in Europe in a country with universal health care and it is a great thing. I don't mind tax dollars going toward it. It doesn't cost any more than personal insurance premiums for health care coverage and the coverage is complete.

You too can wait months for an MRI and have your stage 1 cancer escalate to stage 3. You too can die in a hospital hallway as there isn't a room available for you (a cost saving measure in our system is having you perish quickly). You too can have a torn bicep, have it under diagnosed, untreated and heal in pain without surgery. You too can have a destroyed knee that requires a replacement, limp around for 6 months with a cane waiting for the initial ASSESSMENT with the knee replacement surgeon.

All of this, while costs soar, quality is down and state actors and their families receive first dibs and better access to treatment, because, you know, they are from a more important caste.
I lived on the border of Canada and the US (Seattle) and I am old enough to remember when Canada first instituted its national health care program. I remember that at first Canadians didn't like it, complained about it, etc. Now they love it and have for decades. It's a matter of getting used to a new way of doing things. That's why progressives are progressives: we believe in progress and welcome and embrace it. Dinos like the cons hate and fear anything new and different. They are the ones blocking universal health care in the US: their fear is blocking it. It is irrational and childish. I have lived in Europe in a country with universal health care and it is a great thing. I don't mind tax dollars going toward it. It doesn't cost any more than personal insurance premiums for health care coverage and the coverage is complete.

I don't prefer a single payer system. I am supportive of healthcare for all, but I prefer a two tier system. One in which private businesses enter the system. It would take a great deal of strain out of the already over extended system and also provide a multitude of options for those who can afford it, those have or wish additional insurance and, for those who get additional benefits at work.

The reality is, with the excessive costs of healthcare, it's simply unsustainable.

If more people knew how it actually worked - and clearly, few do - they'd be demanding it immediately.
Most that are against it don't care to research how Medicare works or just too plain dumb.
I think the problem is that they're intellectually restricted by their partisan political ideology.

They start with a premise that the government can't be part of any solution, and then work backwards from there. So all of their answers are only going to come from half of the available options.

It's like a painter trying to create a bold, complicated masterpiece with only half a color palette. He's choosing to work against himself. Why?

This is why the GOP couldn't back up its eight-year lie that it had a better health care plan. It can't be done with only half the available options. Clearly.

Last edited:
Single Payer, a completely closed system, is probably better than Wild West health care, a completely open system.

But a better alternative is a carefully-balanced blend of public financing and free market competition.

Which we already have in the Medicare/Medicare Supplement/Medicare Advantage program.

If more people knew how it actually worked - and clearly, few do - they'd be demanding it immediately.

Most that are against it don't care to research how Medicare works or just too plain dumb.

Most who are for it have the same problem. Most of them don't realize that Medicare is outsourced to private insurance companies. If you think Medicare for All is going to push the big, bad corporations out of the picture, think again. It just means they get in bed with government.
Yes, the government works closely with the private sector on it, and it's an excellent public/private blend of foundational coverage and dynamic free market competition.

Last edited:

I don't prefer a single payer system. I am supportive of healthcare for all, but I prefer a two tier system. One in which private businesses enter the system. It would take a great deal of strain out of the already over extended system and also provide a multitude of options for those who can afford it, those have or wish additional insurance and, for those who get additional benefits at work.

The reality is, with the excessive costs of healthcare, it's simply unsustainable.
Until HC costs are somehow controlled, nothing will improve. The American HC system is a racketeering operation designed to enrich big hospital and big pharma. It is then expected that these enriched enterprises pay kickbacks to politicians and government officials for protection from competition and regulation. Costs raise year after year, thanks to a criminal government.

The opioid problem in America is a perfect example of how this racket works.

It is all about greed.

Medicare isn't 100% single payer.

I don't prefer Medicare for all just 50 or 55 on up and going back to the old underwritten system of under these ages and if someone is declined for medical reasons then they can buy in early to Medicare. Insurance rates just might be a lot lower for the healthy that were on just old regular health insurance.

Cons keep repeating the horror stories provided them by medical insurance companies, who have everything to lose.

Forum List

Back