Executive Order to forgive $50,000 in student debt

I am glad you ask this because it acknowledges that you agree that this is their rightful cost.

How to accomplish this? Simple, whatever educational requirements a business has should be collected as a tax.
So if a company requires an MBA, a company must pay a tax amount comparable to that cost.

Okay. So you and I are trying for the same job. I have a college education in which to do the job immediately. You apply for the job and the employer would have to fund your education first. Who do you think would get that job, you or me?
Why should a business fund your education when you can go get a better job the minute you complete your studies?
Many do, my former employer would pay tuition and books for any employee without a post graduate degree. They also would fund post-grad degrees if they benefited the company. Not all companies do this, but there are a few.

And I'm guessing they also required the employee to remain in their employ for a certain amount of time to justify the cost to the company. They didn't just let them get the degree and then prance off to their competitors.
There were NO strings attached to undergrad degrees, post grad degrees had some requirements, chief among them, the degree had to advance them in their chosen field in the company. There were no length of employment requirements. I have worked for a few larger companies and a couple of smaller ones that provided this benefit.

So they were willing to pay out the money for you to get a degree, and then have you immediately jump ship to their competitors before the ink was dry on the diploma? I'm really dubious about that.
Be dubious all you want. There are numerous companies that do it. I worked for my last employer for 33 years, but I attended school during my time with other smaller companies for sometimes less than two years.

Oh, I plan to be incredibly dubious, unless and until you provide something other than your word for it.

My company gave me time to go (4-day workweek) and paid for (reimbursed) about half the cost of driving school to get my class A license.

My employer just decided to put his other employees to work to train the new drivers. It worked out real well for both employees and himself. The straight truck guys already knew our customers, knew our operation, knew what to expect. When he did it the old way like hiring guys he didn't know, they were either a pain in the ass or quit in a couple of months. He knew what he was getting by training our current staff. I guess driving schools are okay, but what can they do that one of our employees couldn't? It saved my employer money at the same time.

My company gave me time to go (4-day workweek) and paid for (reimbursed) about half the cost of driving school to get my class A license.

My employer just decided to put his other employees to work to train the new drivers. It worked out real well for both employees and himself. The straight truck guys already knew our customers, knew our operation, knew what to expect. When he did it the old way like hiring guys he didn't know, they were either a pain in the ass or quit in a couple of months. He knew what he was getting by training our current staff. I guess driving schools are okay, but what can they do that one of our employees couldn't? It saved my employer money at the same time.

I couldn't. One driver tried, but another driver bitched and got it stopped. (I'd never train with that prick.)

When I say "medical professional", I'm talking a doctor or nurse practitioner. My checkups are performed by a medical assistant, maybe a nurse, with a quick five-minute visit for the doctor to come in and read the results at me. Of course, I'm obscenely healthy, so my checkups rarely involve much.

Yeah, it was always that way, but these nurse practitioners do a lot of what a doctor does. In relation to paying for the education of a doctor, you only really see him or her for about 20 minutes.

Cursive is useless. I have not used it since high school and I am 60 years old.

I still write checks for tax deductible items so I have a paper trail. My bank sends back photo copies of the canceled checks. Then I can categorize them, do the math, and present the results to my tax preparer. The more work I can do on taxes myself, the less she charges.

If I get audited, I don't have to show the IRS all my bank statements with selected deductions. I can give them photo copies of the checks of questionable payments only showing who I sent money to and why.

But as I said earlier, if somebody had to fill out a police report, I'd love to see one written by a person that doesn't know cursive.
Last police reports I saw were typed.

Last time I had to interact with the police (as a witness), the initial report was hand-written, because the officer was doing it on the scene. The later, more official and comprehensive report was done on a computer.

e couldn't. Mostly: our lease with Ryder explicitly prohibits permit drivers from using the trucks.

We never dealt with them. We used Penske, and we carried our own insurance so their only requirement is that we bring back the truck at the end of the lease in the same shape they gave it to us.

When I say "medical professional", I'm talking a doctor or nurse practitioner. My checkups are performed by a medical assistant, maybe a nurse, with a quick five-minute visit for the doctor to come in and read the results at me. Of course, I'm obscenely healthy, so my checkups rarely involve much.

Yeah, it was always that way, but these nurse practitioners do a lot of what a doctor does. In relation to paying for the education of a doctor, you only really see him or her for about 20 minutes.

Which is fine, if you're just getting a wellness checkup. Of course, one assumes you're also paying for his expertise in reviewing your file and what his employees did. I would hope so, anyway.

Last time I had to interact with the police (as a witness), the initial report was hand-written, because the officer was doing it on the scene. The later, more official and comprehensive report was done on a computer.

The guy typed his report out on the laptop in his car. Witness statements were handwritten, then typed and saved to the report.

We never dealt with them. We used Penske, and we carried our own insurance so their only requirement is that we bring back the truck at the end of the lease in the same shape they gave it to us.

Also, another driver bitched and got it stopped, because he was the only "official" driver trainer. Unfortunately, by the time he was gone, the no-permit-drivers thing was in the lease contract.

Also, another driver bitched and got it stopped, because he was the only "official" driver trainer. Unfortunately, by the time he was gone, the no-permit-drivers thing was in the lease contract.

I only dealt with Ryder once when I first got my Class A back in the 90's. I got the tractor and they made me take a road test with one of their guys. How Fn stupid. Penske is pretty liberal, especially once you get to know the guys. When we first started to use them, they wouldn't even let me install my radio. They demanded to install it, even though it was only a few screws. The power cord and antenna were already on the thing. When I switched trucks and asked them if I could transfer my CB to the new one, they said "Sure! Go ahead. Our guys can do better things."

How about the alternative of not purchasing something you can't afford? Everyone has that option.
Which would mean that only the rich have college educations.
No. There would still be scholarships for the intellectually adept and, gasp, saving up for college.
I don't think you'd actually like that country
Then you don't think. Not my problem.

I am glad you ask this because it acknowledges that you agree that this is their rightful cost.

How to accomplish this? Simple, whatever educational requirements a business has should be collected as a tax.
So if a company requires an MBA, a company must pay a tax amount comparable to that cost.

Okay. So you and I are trying for the same job. I have a college education in which to do the job immediately. You apply for the job and the employer would have to fund your education first. Who do you think would get that job, you or me?
Why should a business fund your education when you can go get a better job the minute you complete your studies?
Many do, my former employer would pay tuition and books for any employee without a post graduate degree. They also would fund post-grad degrees if they benefited the company. Not all companies do this, but there are a few.

And I'm guessing they also required the employee to remain in their employ for a certain amount of time to justify the cost to the company. They didn't just let them get the degree and then prance off to their competitors.
I've worked at companies that have educational benefits. That's the way they look at it, as a benefit. They will pay for one or two classes per year. It's a relatively small amount of money.

My sister got her Master's degree in Health Administration through her company's tuition reimbursement program. She had to agree to put that degree to use with that company for X number of years (I don't remember how long, off the top of my head) if she doesn't want to become responsible for paying it back. Of course, I don't think that's much of a hardship, since she works for one of the best companies in our area for that field, and they pay her obscene amounts of money AND happily let her work from home even without Covid.
The military has like requirements for students that attend their academies as well. Those students attend full time, however and must perform compulsory military service for an equal amount of time. Some states have programs that pay for medical professionals' education in return for a like number of years that the students provides services to underserved areas. The companies that I referred to had no such requirements--I actually knew of a case where a mediocre employee earned a BA on the company's dime. After graduating, he threw a fit and they fired him. But for every one like him the company had easily 50 success stories--I was one.

He doesn't seem to be aware that tuition reimbursement programs ALWAYS contain a clause specifying that the employee MUST work for the company for X amount of time after the education in order to pay it off. If they leave before that time is up, they have to pay it back, because the company has not used those skills sufficiently to pay back their investment. Also, you have to already BE an employee for a certain amount of time first; they aren't going to hire you off the street and then send you to school.

Yep, that's what my employer did for his employees that have been with him for years. We had tractor-trailer drivers and straight truck drivers which are two different licenses. He always had one or two straight truck drivers with a Class A (tractor-trailer) license as a backup for when one of us were off for illness or vacation.

The straight truck driver had to get his temps. An experienced driver took him out on weekends to teach him how to drive a T/T. When our experienced driver felt he drove good enough to pass the test, they both went out to get him his written and road test complete. When he passed, we always had him as backup. They would advance to full time T/T job when one became available. The guy that took my job when I left was our backup.

My employer also realized that with a Class A, that straight truck driver could find a better paying job driving T/T full-time somewhere else. So he made them sign a three year contract in order to be trained and get his Class A license.
How long do these classes last, three months? It's not the same as paying for 4 years to get a bachelor's degree.
The company that I worked for paid tuition and books for four year schools. These classes were taken while you were a full time employee, but they could be from any accredited school, community college or university. Among larger companies, I don't think it is unusual, but many smaller companies have tuition reimbursement programs.

There were NO strings attached to undergrad degrees, post grad degrees had some requirements, chief among them, the degree had to advance them in their chosen field in the company. There were no length of employment requirements. I have worked for a few larger companies and a couple of smaller ones that provided this benefit.

So they were willing to pay out the money for you to get a degree, and then have you immediately jump ship to their competitors before the ink was dry on the diploma? I'm really dubious about that.
Be dubious all you want. There are numerous companies that do it. I worked for my last employer for 33 years, but I attended school during my time with other smaller companies for sometimes less than two years.

Oh, I plan to be incredibly dubious, unless and until you provide something other than your word for it.
I don't normally do research for those disbelievers who are too lazy to do their own, but I'll make an exception this time-- 25+ Companies with Tuition Reimbursement Programs SMH.

One third of S&L's failed in that time period. The problem wasn't regulations, it was lax enforcement. Same with the 2008 crisis.
Sure. Enforce the laws fairly. Lately the IRS has been targeting conservative and Republican businesses, political organizations, and charities to bleed them dry, while refusing to enforce the law against Democrats.
I remember when my mortgage got sold to another company because the guy who ran the place that gave me my initial mortgage had bought himself a huge yacht with the proceeds of his S&L.
Why do you work so hard for someone else to own a yacht and fuck your wife? The 30-year mortgage with a diamond wedding ring is wholly a Democrat institution. There's a lady sporting a pair of diamond earrings, the man is "house-bound" under all that debt with a ball and chain on his foot, and they only have kids as the economy, their lifestyle, and the woman's "choice" as mediated by the OB/GYN pimp at the local hospital permit.
I love the child-like view of economics of Bernie Bros.
It's just bread-and-circuses, isn't it? Pull the wool over our eyes, steal our money, and revoke our rights. Damn.

I only dealt with Ryder once when I first got my Class A back in the 90's. I got the tractor and they made me take a road test with one of their guys. How Fn stupid. Penske is pretty liberal, especially once you get to know the guys. When we first started to use them, they wouldn't even let me install my radio. They demanded to install it, even though it was only a few screws. The power cord and antenna were already on the thing. When I switched trucks and asked them if I could transfer my CB to the new one, they said "Sure! Go ahead. Our guys can do better things."

I hate Ryder. The trucks are absolute shit, from the specs to the service. We have had 2 trucks with CEL on for months. One of those and another tractor doesn't power trailer ABS. Another is dripping DEF. Two of our rentals are totally used up...one with 450,000 miles (DEF leak, bad ABS) and one with 519,000 (CEL). The mileage isn't too bad for OTR, but these are city trucks (One has 30,000 engine hours.)

Whoever spec'd our three new tractors is an idiot. They are Freightliner M2s with 350HP Cummins L9 engines...and 5.38 gears, and Allison automatics...that start in second gear. (Wait, what?) Result: they're slow, noisy, and guzzle fuel (about the same mileage as our twin screw, with its 500HP 15-litre Cummins and 490,000 miles), because they're spinning 1900RPM at 65. With bigger engines, more power (410HP DD13, 400HP ISX12,, 375HP ISM), and physically larger, the Cascadias and our one International LT use less fuel.

The more sensible relief would be to revoke that aspect, allow students in over their head to file bankruptcy, like anyone else in that spot.
Education loans are not like car loans, the lender who you're fucking over can't repossess your education as a partial mitigation of their loss.

I don't normally do research for those disbelievers who are too lazy to do their own, but I'll make an exception this time-- 25+ Companies with Tuition Reimbursement Programs SMH.

Newsflash, Mensa Boy: you still haven't "done research". What you did was find a link that "proved"companies offer tuition assistance programs - which only a shitbrained moron would think I ever disputed - and then triumphantly declared that it "proved" the point I did dispute - that companies offer tuition assistance without expecting any commitment in return.

Congratulations. You have now achieved thinking and debating like a leftist. If you still have any pretensions of actually being a person, with a functioning cerebral cortex, you should be very ashamed of your existence at this point.

If you can stop wagging your head mindlessly back and forth a moment, let me show you how research and proof are ACTUALLY done (always assuming you haven't pussied out and run away because I talked mean to you).

From your list:

AT&T - program does not apply to courses that begin before you have been employed for six months (page 2); if you quit two years or less after you receive the tuition assistance, you have to repay the funds (page 10).

BP - only covers approved courses which benefit BP (page 2); if you quit within a certain time period after completing the course, you repay the funds (page 6).

Now, those are just the first two which made their entire tuition program available online, and already they prove ME right, rather than you. Shall I go on, or would you like to apologize in abject humiliation?

Forum List

Back