EXCLUSIVE: 'Baby Joseph' Gets Second Chance at Life in U.S.

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
The baby who was hours from being pulled off life support at his Canadian hospital has been rescued by the national director of Priests for Life and taken to the U.S. for treatment.

Thirteen-month-old Joseph Maraachli, who is currently kept alive by a respirator and was recently denied a transfer to a Michigan hospital to undergo a tracheotomy, arrived in the U.S. early Monday morning with Fr. Frank Pavone and other Priests for Life staff.

EXCLUSIVE: 'Baby Joseph' Gets Second Chance at Life in U.S. - FoxNews.com

Wonder what these Priests know that the Canadian Doctors don't know?

Maraachli was on his way to SSM Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center in St. Louis, Mo., a non-profit health-care facility open to all children in need of medical care.

I don't know, but I'd guess not.

Maraachli was on his way to SSM Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center in St. Louis, Mo., a non-profit health-care facility open to all children in need of medical care.

I don't know, but I'd guess not.

Maybe it will be pro bono medical care.

I'd hope that Medicaid was not billed.

I know. I'd hate to see him saved when it costs money to feed the little grub.

Expect a drive-by from Care now freaking out over the horror of an imperfect child, and bemoaning the fact he wasn't killed previously.

The baby who was hours from being pulled off life support at his Canadian hospital has been rescued by the national director of Priests for Life and taken to the U.S. for treatment.

Thirteen-month-old Joseph Maraachli, who is currently kept alive by a respirator and was recently denied a transfer to a Michigan hospital to undergo a tracheotomy, arrived in the U.S. early Monday morning with Fr. Frank Pavone and other Priests for Life staff.

I think it's simply the disagree on this point:
"The medical board overseeing his case is apparently convinced that giving proper care to 'Baby Joseph' is futile," the website reads. "They don’t mean that the medical care won’t help him. They mean his life in its current condition isn’t worth the trouble."

:eusa_pray:

That all life has a value that can't be measured in canadian dollars.

1. Americans have better survival rates than Europeans for common cancers. Breast cancer mortality is 52 percent higher in Germany than in the United States and 88 percent higher in the United Kingdom. Prostate cancer mortality is 604 percent higher in the United Kingdom and 457 percent higher in Norway. The mortality rate for colorectal cancer among British men and women is about 40 percent higher.

2. Americans have lower cancer mortality rates than Canadians. Breast cancer mortality in Canada is 9 percent higher than in the United States, prostate cancer is 184 percent higher, and colon cancer among men is about 10 percent higher.

3. Americans have better access to treatment for chronic diseases than patients in other developed countries. Some 56 percent of Americans who could benefit from statin drugs, which reduce cholesterol and protect against heart disease, are taking them. By comparison, of those patients who could benefit from these drugs, only 36 percent of the Dutch, 29 percent of the Swiss, 26 percent of Germans, 23 percent of Britons, and 17 percent of Italians receive them.

4. Americans have better access to preventive cancer screening than Canadians. Take the proportion of the appropriate-age population groups who have received recommended tests for breast, cervical, prostate, and colon cancer:

Ten Reasons Why American Health Care Is Better Than You’ve Been Told - By Jonah Goldberg - The Corner - National Review Online

Baby Joseph is an especially difficult and painful case. I can appreciate the parents fighting to see that he doesn't suffer and wanting him to come home to die in the loving arms of his family, as his sibling did, rather than violently and cruelly as they would see removing his feeding tube in the hospital.

I believe parents should do what is best for their child. I commend those who will voluntarily help with whatever medical costs are involved. I do struggle with any requirement that others pay for the costs however.

I believe parents should do what is best for their child. I commend those who will voluntarily help with whatever medical costs are involved. I do struggle with any requirement that others pay for the costs however.

I agree with this and extend the view to encompass a new relationship with the medical industry.

Extending life for the sake of extending life is not what medicine is about (imho). Doubly so on the public dole.

The boy suffers from a rare, progressive neurological disease which, Canadian doctors say, has left him in a vegetative state beyond recovery. He has been at the Children’s Hospital in London, Ontario, since the fall.

Doctors in Canada said the illness is irreversible and wanted to remove the breathing tube

so will the trach prolong his life or just make it more comfortable? and then my question is "is a vegatative state" a life worth living? Will the baby care if he is allowed to slip away? I know if I'm in a vegatative state I hope someone in my family has the courage to pull the plug. In this case though mom and dad want to hold him a bit longer and I'm good with that too. There is no right or wrong answer is there?

In this case, baby Joseph probably won't be aware one way or the other whatever is done. But putting myself in the shoes of those parents, I would still want him to die naturally, humanely, and loved which I believe he will if they'll just allow the parents to do what the parents want to do.

Canadian health care is over rated.

and we are racing to catch up with them :doubt:

I heard since their health care is free they have long waiting lists for certain procedures, and Canadians actually come down here for more quicker efficient care. The only advantage the Canadians have is that its free.

Thats just it.... its NOT free. They pay for it, just like we will.... and the results will be the same old shit.

and we are racing to catch up with them :doubt:

I heard since their health care is free they have long waiting lists for certain procedures, and Canadians actually come down here for more quicker efficient care. The only advantage the Canadians have is that its free.

Thats just it.... its NOT free. They pay for it, just like we will.... and the results will be the same old shit.

I thought they had a universal health care system up there?

Forum List

Back