Examining Holocaust Denial

Sodafin

Dec 17, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Having posted on the Stormfront and CODOH forums for some time, I've noticed that the people who get suckered into Holocaust denial seem to follow very similar patterns.

Firstly, they have never visited the camps themselves.

Secondly, they have read very few of the classic works (Kershaw, Overy, Arendt, Browning, Speer/Sereny) and actively avoid them.

They rely on the most appalling sources imaginable - generally ex-members of fascist groups who have no education or training in the subjects they write about, one of whom has a background as a UFOlogist, one of whom awarded himself a PhD, and one of whom does not even exist in reality.

They generally claim that they are only interested in truth, honesty and answers to their questions - and yet refuse to read the books that would answer their questions.

But what puzzles me most of all is how Deniers see their questions answered and their conspiracy theories disproven day after day - and yet still keep repeating the same myths.

My question is - are these people simply naive and gullible - or are they just motivated by racism and hatred?

Having posted on the Stormfront and CODOH forums for some time, I've noticed that the people who get suckered into Holocaust denial seem to follow very similar patterns.

Firstly, they have never visited the camps themselves.

Secondly, they have read very few of the classic works (Kershaw, Overy, Arendt, Browning, Speer/Sereny) and actively avoid them.

They rely on the most appalling sources imaginable - generally ex-members of fascist groups who have no education or training in the subjects they write about, one of whom has a background as a UFOlogist, one of whom awarded himself a PhD, and one of whom does not even exist in reality.

They generally claim that they are only interested in truth, honesty and answers to their questions - and yet refuse to read the books that would answer their questions.

But what puzzles me most of all is how Deniers see their questions answered and their conspiracy theories disproven day after day - and yet still keep repeating the same myths.

My question is - are these people simply naive and gullible - or are they just motivated by racism and hatred?

None of the above. Racism is stupid and people aren't "that" stupid in general.
The only reason such outlandish claims are made is to engender a response. I think if you were to visit the dwellings of these creeps, you'd find that none of them have any friends. Making silly claims is a way of getting attention.

Not bad reasoning at all, Candy.

I was thinking the same yesterday when a poster was saying "Hitler was the greatest" on a thread about despots.

Given no rational adult could believe Hitler was "the greatest" at anything except destroying his own country, the post could only be a cry for attention.

How did you manage to stay on CODOH, then tend to ban dissent or at least limit your ability to dissent?

The requirement for denying the holocaust is you have to be a racist. In the history of the world (with one or two exceptions) theres never been a person that denied the holocaust first, then later became a racist. It can only happen when you are a racist first, because that is the requirement for suspending all logic.

Last edited:
They are generally folks who put too much faith into narrow bogus sources.

It is always a good idea to make sure your sources are valid before running with the information.

And it is also always a good idea to re examine everything everyone knows to be true. Always check. But there are so many varied good sources of information you can use to evaluate claims either way that there is no good reason to be a denier.

Most of the denier types I have run across on the internet seem to have the opinion that it didn't happen, but it was a very good idea. Which sort of poisons the well of their honesty.

Forum List

Back