Ex-CIA Official: US Lagging Behind In New Space Race

Does It Matter If the USA Is Lagging Behind In The Space Race?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Don't Know

• WTF? Who Cares?

• Other (State Reason)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

james bond

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2015
I doubt we are falling behind. After all, we are spending a lot of money trying to go to Mars. NASA spent $1 million on building a Mars simulation station on Hawaii. Is there anything up there that will benefit you? Your children? Humankind?

"I think one of the big challenges that we have today is a number of our capabilities in the space arena have atrophied over the years," Gaffney said.

Gaffney said decades of spending reductions regarding the space program have taken its toll.

"China and Russia have continued to build and to invest in their capabilities in this area as well as other areas," he said. "And in many ways, the U.S. has some catch-up to do.”

Ex-CIA Official: US Lagging Behind in New Space Race

Given we haven't had a manned space program since 2011, I'd say you don't need to be a CIA official to deduce we're behind in a race we've quit running.

Exhausted-Runners-750x400.jpg

Given we haven't had a manned space program since 2011, I'd say you don't need to be a CIA official to deduce we're behind in a race we've quit running.

Is winning the race important to you? If so, why?

It's not important at all. It's just crazy to maintain that we're even still in the race when we quit running 50 years ago.

When you spend decades focusing on technology to blow up desert caves in the Middle East, you’re probably going to get surpassed in tech by other countries.

When you spend decades focusing on technology to blow up desert caves in the Middle East, you’re probably going to get surpassed in tech by other countries.

It's a lot harder to blow up a cave. For one thing, it's not a straight shot.

I doubt we are falling behind. After all, we are spending a lot of money trying to go to Mars. NASA spent $1 million on building a Mars simulation station on Hawaii. Is there anything up there that will benefit you? Your children? Humankind?

"I think one of the big challenges that we have today is a number of our capabilities in the space arena have atrophied over the years," Gaffney said.

Gaffney said decades of spending reductions regarding the space program have taken its toll.

"China and Russia have continued to build and to invest in their capabilities in this area as well as other areas," he said. "And in many ways, the U.S. has some catch-up to do.”

I think it's important to keep up the facade of Space exploration imo... It's probably 'used' as a front for other secretive things like new spying technology in space, or Starwars protection type stuff???

I think it's important to keep up the facade of Space exploration imo... It's probably 'used' as a front for other secretive things like new spying technology in space, or Starwars protection type stuff???
Hopefully space lasers to obliterate liberal scum.

:rofl::rofl:

oh, shut up!

If we don't already have space lasers then the gov't should be working on it. Even though there's an international agreement forbidding weapons in space. Trump should pull out of that too. You can be sure the Russians and Chinese are working on it.

And what the fuck pray tell does NASA have to do with blowing up caves in Afghanistan.

I'd love to be able to put up an invisible shield either for Star Wars type protection or for personal protection. Some kind of quantum mechanics application. A car could try to ram you and you'd be safe while the car is destroyed.

If we don't already have space lasers then the gov't should be working on it. Even though there's an international agreement forbidding weapons in space. Trump should pull out of that too. You can be sure the Russians and Chinese are working on it.

I saw Goldeneye. That was a satellite that produced an EMP wave. That was definitely a weapon. Space lasers doesn't necessarily mean it's a weapon. It could help clear the debris and things we do not want striking Earth.

It's not important at all. It's just crazy to maintain that we're even still in the race when we quit running 50 years ago.

I've been thinking about this and think you are right in terms of space race. You do bring up excellent points. I think the USA leads in terms of rocketry, satellites, telescopes and probes. They do not care about the space race anymore. The Chinese and Russians can set up a fueling and supplies station on the moon. They can colonize it, if possible. The USG owes trillions in debt. What they may care more about is finding aliens or evidence of past alien life. NASA is getting a lot of funding to do this. As for the Star Wars weapons, who really knows? It's all hush-hush, but found in these R&D and developing technologies.

But we have several in the private sector that are doing major things in space. And the first man on Mars may well be put there by a private company, more than likely Space X. Isn't this what the conservatives have said would happen once the initial exploration was done by the government? Kind of like the way the West was explored in this nation. But, of course, the 'Conservatives' hate Elon Musk because he is educated, a realist, and a very successful entrepreneur.

Just what does the space race mean? A "mile-stone" such as Russia being first to send a dog into space? That is just a media me-first event. The things that have value are communication satellites, GPS system, cosmic particle detectors and space telescopes. The US excels at that. I wonder what the CIA is worrying about. Surely not another PR gimmick.

Forum List

Back