Evolution. Not Fully Explained by Darwin.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by flacaltenn, Sep 9, 2011.

1. flacaltenn

flacaltenn USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,342
    This is NOT an anti-Darwin thread. I'm fully comping his efforts. Nor is this a science vs evolution thread (although there are definate implications to be made).

But IMHO -- we've gone WAAAY past Darwin in terms of looking at the entire picture of evolution, the fossil record, missing links, survival thru mass extinctions, ect. And it does a dis-service to concentrate SOLELY on Darwin's natural selection as the prime explanation for the tree of life on earth..

The three big bangs: comet crashes ... - Google Books

"The Three Big Bangs"-Dauber and Muller

Their theory is large jumps in evolutionary process can occur in times of extreme stress.
    The authors also cite the discovery and implications of "jumping genes" in the evolutionary mutation process. From another source on macroevolution::

Jumping genes helped evolution - Joshua Rampling - Science Alert - RichardDawkins.net

The following is what I posted in another thread (with embellishment).

THe entire concept of "missing links" is something that shouldn't escape scientific scrutiny.
    I think we all would agree. Needs to be explained -- or "does it"?

Darwinian natural selection doesn't focus on the mechanism of mutations.. It only focuses on the "sifting and sorting" that occurs AFTER a reproducible genetic mutation is caused to be produced.

The adaptation does not CAUSE the mutation. The adaptation and selection part has to WAIT on the random occurence of mutations..

Therefore, what if there were to be found great LEAPS in mutation? Some anatomical form change that taxonomy scientists don't recognize as "a link"? Before you scoff -- realize that we can today jump species in the laboratory. It's being done regularly solely at the will of man.. No "missing link" to be found between a natural species and what can be fabricated TODAY in the lab.

I think we know very little about what actually happened during great extinctions. What if there were periods of great mutation. Caused by intense cosmic ray, chemical exposure or even the periodic introduction of alien DNA every 10 million years or so? All (except the alien part) KNOWN scientific accelerators of mutation.

Have we validated the adaptation and natural selection theory for EVERY Branch of the tree of life -- of course not. To do so would require enormous familiarity with food chain, environment, predation, disease, weather, ect, ect.. that accompanied every branch. So what makes us believe that we haven't missed events and eons where the motive force of evolution ran in overdrive?

But don't SOLELY use Darwin and natural selection to explain every branching of the tree of life. Darwinian theory didn't CAUSE that branching -- it's only the effect that sorted out the results. For instance...

QED -- no potential missing links. Never were any to begin with... 10 days to new species? Imagine if those conditions persisted for a hundred years!!!!!!

Anybody want to extrapolate to the "religious" aspects of all this evolution discovery?

Wouldn't an insurance company define a 100 yr period of intense cosmic radiation as "an act of God?" Or is that just over-reacting to the scientific possibilities that species jumps and macro-evolution due to meteor collisions and cosmic rays looks ever more possible?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  2. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,661
    Diversity flourished in the good times and a weeding out occurred in the bad. It doesn't sound like a concept Darwin wouldn't have embraced and included in his theory, if his knowledge of natural history was as vast as ours.

3. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,883
    Why don't right wingers go to school? They wouldn't start threads this laughable.

4. flacaltenn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,342
    Hope you realize that you've just demonstrated a complete inability to comprehend the 150years of evolutionary science SINCE Darwin. I've spent way too much time trying to protect you from yourself. I'm quoting from the website of the scientist who was CITED as a principal defender and explainer of Darwinian evolution. And I brought in the latest knowledge of HOW mutation rates change under environmental pressure and external effects and why..

PLEASE go destroy yourself somewhere else you poor naive hack... I can't watch it anymore..

5. flacaltenn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,342
    That's one implication.. But I think Darwin would have relished an actual physical confirmation that RATES of mutation could be variable depending on stress levels and exposure to radiation or chemicals (for example) and would have pounced on the discovery of latent gene structures that could activate and cause relatively fast branches in the evolutionary tree.

6. percysunshine

percysunshine Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,834
    Evidently, rdean is a human product of evolution.

Maybe Darwin missed something.

7. flacaltenn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,342
    Well it IS a time of great environmental stress for him.. Maybe he's about to bust out a fin or a tail or something..

There goes the OP... :booze: