Everything that is wrong with modern politics everywhere

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Former U.S. Rep. Steve Stockman blames 'deep state' conspiracy for arrest

I dont want to be making a partisan point here because this sort of thing happens in all parties.

Why do politicians need so much money ?

Why are they so greedy ?

In the UK proposals to deal with MPs have been quietly watered down.

What does Trump propose to deal with the "donations/bribery" culture and is this a part of swamp draining ?

I dont want to be making a partisan point here because this sort of thing happens in all parties.

Why are they so greedy ?

What does Trump propose to deal with the "donations/bribery" culture and is this a part of swamp draining ?
Nothing. He's not going to do anything. He's one of THEM! And none of THEM should be President. None of THEM should be in government. None of THEM should even have a voice in government.

It's also worth noting, Obama was one of THEM; Bush was one of THEM; even Bernie Sanders is one of THEM. And just to see how bad it has gotten, if you want someone who is not part of THEM, then you need someone like Cindy Sheehan. She is definitely not one of THEM.

BTW, THEM = corporate oligarchy.

Why are they so greedy ?

Nothing. He's not going to do anything. He's one of THEM! And none of THEM should be President. None of THEM should be in government. None of THEM should even have a voice in government.

It's also worth noting, Obama was one of THEM; Bush was one of THEM; even Bernie Sanders is one of THEM. And just to see how bad it has gotten, if you want someone who is not part of THEM, then you need someone like Cindy Sheehan. She is definitely not one of THEM.

BTW, THEM = corporate oligarchy.
You may be right that The Donald is just like the lying corrupt Big Ears, but there is still a chance you aren't.

If he pushes hard for term limits on Congress...I know BIG IF...that would go a long way to reducing the criminal actions of a criminal government.

Seems to me the very qualities that brought them to national politics, made them willingly go through the horrific fundraising and campaigning process, and play the various political games once in office are what drive the rest of their behaviors.

The egos of these people are probably impossible for most folks to comprehend.

You may be right that The Donald is just like the lying corrupt Big Ears, but there is still a chance you aren't.

If he pushes hard for term limits on Congress...I know BIG IF...that would go a long way to reducing the criminal actions of a criminal government.
I'm hoping he's not.

Seems to me the very qualities that brought them to national politics, made them willingly go through the horrific fundraising and campaigning process, and play the various political games once in office are what drive the rest of their behaviors.

So they are bought and paid for by the time they get there ?
Its depressing. Lawmaking can be very lucrative if you have no morals. There have been several sting operations over here where politicians have been caught selling influence.

None of them seem to end up in jail though.

Perhaps this should be a deterrent.

Its depressing. Lawmaking can be very lucrative if you have no morals. There have been several sting operations over here where politicians have been caught selling influence.

One of my brothers lives in London and says the same thing, so clearly this isn't limited to our shores.

There must be ways to put reasonable restrictions on these people. Term limits and publicly-funded elections would certainly decrease some of this. As long as these people are allowed to both sell influence and keep getting re-elected, I don't see any improvements coming.

We need term limits and jail time for bribery aka "lobbying".

Trump's already done a thing or two.

Forcing Congress to vote themselves off the Gravy Train, that's gonna be a big job.

He has mentioned term limits.

The idea that some presidents are beyond corruption is ridiculous. The average presidential campaign spends over $12 million. To get a job that pays $176k a year.

One of my brothers lives in London and says the same thing, so clearly this isn't limited to our shores.

There must be ways to put reasonable restrictions on these people. Term limits and publicly-funded elections would certainly decrease some of this. As long as these people are allowed to both sell influence and keep getting re-elected, I don't see any improvements coming.
Its worth considering the career of Jack Strw MP. A labour grandee who has been in parliament for 30 odd years.
In 2009 he was caught taking donations from a crooked Peer, Lord Taylor.
Straw is dragged into peers for hire mire

He shook that off but 6 years later he was caught himself in taking cash for influence.

The only punishment he has had is to be denied a Peerage. Parliament is self policing and they rarely turn on their own.

This is a non partisan issue because both major parties recognise that the next one up on charges could be one of their own. The interests of the people are not uppermost in this process.

Jack Straw to be 'denied knighthood and peerage' under Jeremy Corbyn

He will get his peerage in a few years when the fuss dies down.

Closer scrutiny of their finances is needed. Also a ban on outside consultancies or interests. Not sure about term limits. Experienced politicians have a better chance of standing up to the civil service.
I would prefer that ex politicians cannot work for companies that they have been involved with during their political careers.
EG a politician involved with defence procurement cant work for a bomb maker.

Forcing Congress to vote themselves off the Gravy Train, that's gonna be a big job.

Literally my thoughts. I hope that President Trump pushes the issue of term limits. Career politician should not be a part of our vocabulary.

Literally my thoughts. I hope that President Trump pushes the issue of term limits. Career politician should not be a part of our vocabulary.

If he can broker that deal, I will be impressed. Not sure what angle he can approach that from.

Guilt-trip, maybe? I know he wants to.

If he can broker that deal, I will be impressed. Not sure what angle he can approach that from.

Guilt-trip, maybe? I know he wants to.
He will have to use Congressional unpopularity with the public against them. Probably the biggest plunger he could use to try to unplug that clog in the swamp.

Forum List

Back