Everyone Knows We Are All Equal

No one is equal, equality would suggest that Humans are robot like.

No 2 people have exactly the same DNA, nor life experience.

Even if DNA, and life experience might cluster towards groups.

Those groups aren't equally represented either.

In that sense, yes, we are different (DNA), yet still all human
Groups are not equally represented by who? Other human beings no better than any other "said" group.... still ultimately, all with equal human worthiness.

I disagree, even in death, all Humans differ in the legacy they left behind.

I mean do you think Hitler, and Gandhi should have left behind the same legacy?

Equality is a social construct.

Equality is not a social construct. Equality is a philosophical and legal construct. As it should be. Everyone should be equal under the law.

Social constructs have complex hierarchies.

Equality of Man, definitely falls closely within the definition of a Social Construct.

Social construction

A social construction, or social construct or a social concept is an invention or artifact of a particular culture or society which exists solely because people agree to behave as if it exists, or agree to follow certain conventional rules

Groups are not equally represented by who? Other human beings no better than any other "said" group.... still ultimately, all with equal human worthiness.

No, but genetically both born human beings.
I have no idea what happens to them after they die, but their legacy means nothing if the Earth is destroyed .... these points and examples you use are all based on the overall assumption of agreement of what is moral and right. But who ultimately really knows? And who is really empowered to make that call?

Equality is not a social construct. Equality is a philosophical and legal construct. As it should be. Everyone should be equal under the law.

Equality of Man, definitely falls closely within the definition of a Social Construct.

Social construction

A social construction, or social construct or a social concept is an invention or artifact of a particular culture or society which exists solely because people agree to behave as if it exists, or agree to follow certain conventional rules

Thank you. I was getting my definitions wrong.

Social construction

Thank you. I was getting my definitions wrong.

I mostly said it, because many people like to say "Race is a Social construct"

But, in the scheme of things, race is far more real, than equality of man.

I have no idea what happens to them after they die, but their legacy means nothing if the Earth is destroyed .... these points and examples you use are all based on the overall assumption of agreement of what is moral and right. But who ultimately really knows? And who is really empowered to make that call?

Do you think Hitler, and Gandhi should be treated the same just because they were born Human?

Do you think Hitler, and Gandhi should be treated the same just because they were born Human?

You are asking what *I* think - I am a flawed human being so what difference does it make what *I* think on the matter (or anyone else?). Moral codes differ and there may be people that answer "yes" to this question, but who is the judge to say if they are right or wrong?

Deep down, everyone knows we are all equal ultimately.

We only "care" about difference because of our own biases. Which is always towards those like us, and against those that are not. Whether is be for race reasons or political reasons (or, something else).

The only way we are unequal is in our minds. Period.
We're not all equal. Some are taller, some are dumber, some are fatter, some are brown, some have blond hair...

In the deepest part of a person is the realization of being alone in a universe that will end at one's death.

Not sure I follow. Alone in what way? Living or dead? We end at our death, but not the universe... or am I not reading your post correctly?
What we think of as 'I' is a construct of the mind built up from perceptions. Perceptions are 100% subjective and only take place inside the brain. There is nothing, and no way, to prove anything exists exterior to this. When perceptions stop (death) that's all that happens; everything stops. The very concept that the universe exists as a non-relative absolute, and that it continues, is meaningless; one may choose to believe it, but that very belief evaporates with the cessation of existence.

• Quote mining
  • Fallacy of Accent -- This one dates to Aristotle, yet people even now, people who ostensibly should have learned better, continue to employ it.

We only "care" about difference because of our own biases. Which is always towards those like us, and against those that are not. Whether is be for race reasons or political reasons (or, something else).

And the Founding Fathers knew everyone was equal as well, yet they went to war to fight for the said equality.

Politics is a dirty business. It is a business that does not want equality. After all, would you support politicians if you thought they all would treat us equally? Would you send them your money? Nope. Instead, politics is about division. It is about setting one group against another and hoping you come out on top. That is why the country is divided in terms of race, sex, socioeconomic status, and religion, etc.

What they are after is unquestioned loyalty from certain groups that are pitted against other groups. These not even need be real divisions, only imagined ones will do.

• Quote mining
  • Fallacy of Accent -- This one dates to Aristotle, yet people even now, people who ostensibly should have learned better, continue to employ it.

It seems the OP is talking about equality of individuals, rather than equality of the law.

Besides, as I pointed out, even equality of law doesn't exist.

I don't agree we are all equal. If one is to believe in a creator, or not, I DO believe we are all created equally...sperm and egg.

What each individual does with his/her life from that point on makes us individuals. However, this nation is designed to give all an equal opportunity and treat us equal under the law. Not perfect, but better than anything I've seen.

We all have freewill and choices and those determine what comes next for each person. In that regard, we are equal.

There's a difference between equal and being the same.

In order for there to be equality, 2 must be the same, otherwise there's disparities.

Therefor equality is perhaps the most retarded ideal the World has ever seen.

No, it depends on how you see equality. If it is that the govt has to see you as equal, you get the same rights, the same restrictions as everyone else based on your race, sex, religion etc. Then it's fine, I mean, these are the ideals the US was founded on.

Equality before the law, would also be impossible to achieve, because no 2 judges, juries, or lawyers are identical.

So what you're demanding is that it's either 100% perfect, or it doesn't happen at all. That if we can't get 100% equality under the law, then fuck it, let's have NO equality under the law?

In order for there to be equality, 2 must be the same, otherwise there's disparities.

No, it depends on how you see equality. If it is that the govt has to see you as equal, you get the same rights, the same restrictions as everyone else based on your race, sex, religion etc. Then it's fine, I mean, these are the ideals the US was founded on.

Equality before the law, would also be impossible to achieve, because no 2 judges, juries, or lawyers are identical.

So what you're demanding is that it's either 100% perfect, or it doesn't happen at all. That if we can't get 100% equality under the law, then fuck it, let's have NO equality under the law?

There aren't equal rights, anyways.

Criminals don't have the same rights, and that's a good thing.

Sure it's comforting to think all races are equal, but unfortunately I don't believe it to be true. We still have to treat people as individuals first and foremost

In the deepest part of a person is the realization of being alone in a universe that will end at one's death.

Not sure I follow. Alone in what way? Living or dead? We end at our death, but not the universe... or am I not reading your post correctly?
What we think of as 'I' is a construct of the mind built up from perceptions. Perceptions are 100% subjective and only take place inside the brain. There is nothing, and no way, to prove anything exists exterior to this. When perceptions stop (death) that's all that happens; everything stops. The very concept that the universe exists as a non-relative absolute, and that it continues, is meaningless; one may choose to believe it, but that very belief evaporates with the cessation of existence.
You have fallen into the Cartesian trap. The correct formulation was "I will, therefore, I am." And suddenly there is objective reality.

There aren't equal rights, anyways.

Criminals don't have the same rights, and that's a good thing.

The problem is you want to be pedantic. Fine, but you have to understand what "equal" means when it comes to such things. It doesn't mean everyone is Harry Potter, no matter how much you want to play the pedant.

Criminals DO have the same rights, they have chosen, by breaking the law, to forgo some of those rights. They made that choice. You don't choose to be a woman, black, etc.

Forum List

Back