Evangelicals and Republicans proud of their influence in Russia and Uganda

He used to be a Republican too

Uh huh

Said so himself

So was I 35 years ago...

Most Republicans of today were Democrats before the middle 60's when blacks joined the Democratic Party. Guess why today's Republicans left the Democratic Party?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the reason you don't have numbers to substantiate this claim is that there are no numbers that substantiate this claim.

Plenty of evangelicals in the Democratic Party also. African Americans majority have unfavorable opinion of gays.
But that does not fit well with the PC liberal crowd as they give them a free pass.

Evangelicals in the Democratic Party?

By Religious Affiliation | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

Couldn't find much information on it. PEW says 27% lean towards the Democratic Party, but that doesn't mean vote Democratic every time.

And while some blacks don't like gays, some gays don't like blacks. Some blacks don't like Hispanics. Some Hispanics don't like Muslims. Some Muslims don't like Hindus. And some Democratic poor think the educated are snobs.

That's why we call the Democratic Party a coalition party. Because even though there are so many different kinds of people, they pretty much work together. Unlike the GOP which is 90% white and Christian. Republicans just follow their leader.

Look at how many GOP policies we've discussed right here on the USMB and how many Republicans say those very same policies, which we prove with video and direct quotes, are lies?

Let's be honest, here. The only facet of American culture that has as much animosity for homosexuals as hardcore bigot rednecks? African American culture.

Name an openly gay rapper. Go ahead, I'll give you a minute.

While we're on the subject of rap music, name the only mainstream genre of music in America that still regularly tosses around the word, "faggot". Oh shit, did I give it away?

You can diffuse this with, "well, there's people of all races that don't like people for all sorts of reasons", and that's true. If, however, you don't acknowledge that African American mainstream culture is disproportionately anti-gay, you're being willfully ignorant or you simply aren't paying attention.

Edit: Sorry to all you rap fans for putting hiphop on blast, it's actually my preferred (though not nearly exclusive) genre of music.

I do, however, call 'em like I see 'em.

Last edited:
Americans’ Role Seen in Uganda "Kill the Gays" Bill

The theme of the event, according to Stephen Langa, its Ugandan organizer, was “the gay agenda — that whole hidden and dark agenda” — and the threat homosexuals posed to Bible-based values and the traditional African family.

The visitors discussed how to make gay people straight, how gay men often sodomized teenage boys and how “the gay movement is an evil institution” whose goal is “to defeat the marriage-based society and replace it with a culture of sexual promiscuity.”

Now the three Americans are finding themselves on the defensive, saying they had no intention of helping stoke the kind of anger that could lead to what came next: a bill to impose a death sentence for homosexual behavior.

Who's Helping Finance Uganda's 'Kill the Gays' Bill?

The "intellectual" fuel for this grotesque law came from Christian fundamentalists in the United States. According to The New York Times:

Much of Africa's anti-homosexuality movement is supported by American evangelicals, the Rev. Kapya Kaoma of Zambia wrote in 2009, who are keen to export the American "culture war" to new ground. Indeed, American evangelical Christians played a role in stirring the anti-homosexual sentiment that culminated in the initial legislation in Uganda.

-----------------------------------------

And in Russia?

How US Evangelicals Helped Create Russia's Anti-Gay Movement

The World Congress of Families' Russian Network

Larry Jacobs, vice president of the Rockford, Illinois-based World Congress of Families (WCF), an umbrella organization for the US religious right's heavy hitters, told the audience that American evangelicals had a 40-year track record of "defending life and family" and they hoped to be "true allies" in Russia's traditional values crusade.

Since Jacobs first traveled to Russia for the Sanctity of Motherhood conference, he and his WCF colleagues have returned regularly to bolster Russia's nascent anti-gay movement—and to work with powerful Russian connections that they've acquired along the way. In 2014, the World Congress of Families will draw an international group of conservative activists together in Moscow, a celebratory convening that Jacobs foreshadowed on that first visit, when he ended his speech triumphantly: "Together, we can win!"

Since 2010, WCF has helped host at least five major gatherings in Russia where American evangelicals put their views before Russian audiences.

WCF has lent its support to anti-gay politics elsewhere in Eastern Europe—Serbia, Lithuania, Romania—but it has had its biggest and most notable successes in Russia. Indeed, the rise of anti-gay laws in Russia has mirrored, almost perfectly, the rise of WCF's work in the country, with 13 new anti-gay laws passed since Jacobs first traveled there. When I ask Jacobs if WCF's work has contributed to this pattern, he laughs and says, "Yes, I think that is accurate."

"The Russians," Jacobs has said, "might be the Christian saviors of the world."

"Putin is repeating our words," he boasts.

------------------------------------------------------

Considering that such a very small percentage of the population is gay, why do so many right wingers think if they can stop gay sex, people will have more children?

Are they saying gays will marry women and have children if they are scared about being killed? Do right wingers really want their daughter or sister to marry a gay?

Is going after gays a "stepping stone" before going after other minorities?

Now onto the OP.

Blaming Uganda's latest bill on American culture is ri-God-damn-diculous. I'm not saying I support the views of those Christians who went over there to spew their unproven dogma as justification for governmental discrimination. What I am saying, however, is that Uganda, before these asshats held their conference, already -had- anti-gay laws, just like many countries throughout that region of the globe.

Uganda already deports people for homosexual behavior. You're telling me that the most likely cause of them making the leap to killing homosexuals is mainstream American culture, which even at its furthest right tends to adhere to a principal of reluctant acceptance of homosexuals? Even the extremist pricks that went over there to preach.

That brings me to my next point, and this next bit's gonna sound racist as fuck, but let's be realistic. . . Most African nations don't need a cultural nod of acceptance from the US to justify murdering people they disagree with.

While I'm saying potentially inflamatory shit, why is the NY Times so concerned with Christians on this one? Uganda is still only toying with the idea of murdering homosexuals. There are Islamic regimes near that same region of the world that ALREADY MAKE A PRACTICE OF THIS! And yet here I am, still waiting with baited breath for the ol' NY Times to similarly demonize Fundamentalist Islam for its ONGOING practice of what they've demonized American Christianity for POTENTIALLY influencing!

Anyway, double standards aside, the anti-gay dogma is fuckin stupid. I have the same problem with these shitheads as I do with Democrats and Progressives: You can't prove that your dogma and morality is correct. Stop expecting others to live by it.

I long for the day when live and let live is truly a mainstream ideal.

So was I 35 years ago...

Most Republicans of today were Democrats before the middle 60's when blacks joined the Democratic Party. Guess why today's Republicans left the Democratic Party?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the reason you don't have numbers to substantiate this claim is that there are no numbers that substantiate this claim.

The Conservative Fantasy History of Civil Rights

Southern white supremacy operated out of the Democratic Party beginning in the nineteenth century, but the party began attracting northern liberals, including African-Americans, into an ideologically cumbersome coalition. Over time the liberals prevailed, forcing the Democratic Party to support civil rights, and driving conservative (and especially southern) whites out, where they realigned with the Republican Party.

==================================

You could actually read history books or newpapers from the middle 60's to find out the truth.

But there are some questions that answered honestly actually tells the tale.

We know that Lincoln was NEVER a confederate. Yet, the GOP South identifies with confederates. What did Goldwater do in 1964 and what platform did he run on?

Southern white supremacy operated out of the Democratic Party beginning in the nineteenth century, but the party began attracting northern liberals, including African-Americans, into an ideologically cumbersome coalition. Over time the liberals prevailed, forcing the Democratic Party to support civil rights, and driving conservative (and especially southern) whites out, where they realigned with the Republican Party.

You could actually read history books or newpapers from the middle 60's to find out the truth.

We know that Lincoln was NEVER a confederate. Yet, the GOP South identifies with confederates. What did Goldwater do in 1964 and what platform did he run on?

Oh no, I'm well aware that a lot of southern Dems left the party when it became racially inclusive, and I'm not arguing that a lot of them didn't go Republican.

When you say, however, that MOST of today's Republicans are dixiecrats who only aren't Democrats because they're racists, well. . . sorry, but again, you don't have the numbers to substantiate that claim because it is a false claim.

The dodge attempt was cute, tho :)

Americans’ Role Seen in Uganda "Kill the Gays" Bill

The theme of the event, according to Stephen Langa, its Ugandan organizer, was “the gay agenda — that whole hidden and dark agenda” — and the threat homosexuals posed to Bible-based values and the traditional African family.

The visitors discussed how to make gay people straight, how gay men often sodomized teenage boys and how “the gay movement is an evil institution” whose goal is “to defeat the marriage-based society and replace it with a culture of sexual promiscuity.”

Now the three Americans are finding themselves on the defensive, saying they had no intention of helping stoke the kind of anger that could lead to what came next: a bill to impose a death sentence for homosexual behavior.

Who's Helping Finance Uganda's 'Kill the Gays' Bill?

The "intellectual" fuel for this grotesque law came from Christian fundamentalists in the United States. According to The New York Times:

Much of Africa's anti-homosexuality movement is supported by American evangelicals, the Rev. Kapya Kaoma of Zambia wrote in 2009, who are keen to export the American "culture war" to new ground. Indeed, American evangelical Christians played a role in stirring the anti-homosexual sentiment that culminated in the initial legislation in Uganda.

And in Russia?

How US Evangelicals Helped Create Russia's Anti-Gay Movement

The World Congress of Families' Russian Network

Larry Jacobs, vice president of the Rockford, Illinois-based World Congress of Families (WCF), an umbrella organization for the US religious right's heavy hitters, told the audience that American evangelicals had a 40-year track record of "defending life and family" and they hoped to be "true allies" in Russia's traditional values crusade.

Since Jacobs first traveled to Russia for the Sanctity of Motherhood conference, he and his WCF colleagues have returned regularly to bolster Russia's nascent anti-gay movement—and to work with powerful Russian connections that they've acquired along the way. In 2014, the World Congress of Families will draw an international group of conservative activists together in Moscow, a celebratory convening that Jacobs foreshadowed on that first visit, when he ended his speech triumphantly: "Together, we can win!"

Since 2010, WCF has helped host at least five major gatherings in Russia where American evangelicals put their views before Russian audiences.

WCF has lent its support to anti-gay politics elsewhere in Eastern Europe—Serbia, Lithuania, Romania—but it has had its biggest and most notable successes in Russia. Indeed, the rise of anti-gay laws in Russia has mirrored, almost perfectly, the rise of WCF's work in the country, with 13 new anti-gay laws passed since Jacobs first traveled there. When I ask Jacobs if WCF's work has contributed to this pattern, he laughs and says, "Yes, I think that is accurate."

"The Russians," Jacobs has said, "might be the Christian saviors of the world."

"Putin is repeating our words," he boasts.

------------------------------------------------------

Considering that such a very small percentage of the population is gay, why do so many right wingers think if they can stop gay sex, people will have more children?

Are they saying gays will marry women and have children if they are scared about being killed? Do right wingers really want their daughter or sister to marry a gay?

Is going after gays a "stepping stone" before going after other minorities?

Now onto the OP.

Blaming Uganda's latest bill on American culture is ri-God-damn-diculous. I'm not saying I support the views of those Christians who went over there to spew their unproven dogma as justification for governmental discrimination. What I am saying, however, is that Uganda, before these asshats held their conference, already -had- anti-gay laws, just like many countries throughout that region of the globe.

Uganda already deports people for homosexual behavior. You're telling me that the most likely cause of them making the leap to killing homosexuals is mainstream American culture, which even at its furthest right tends to adhere to a principal of reluctant acceptance of homosexuals? Even the extremist pricks that went over there to preach.

That brings me to my next point, and this next bit's gonna sound racist as fuck, but let's be realistic. . . Most African nations don't need a cultural nod of acceptance from the US to justify murdering people they disagree with.

While I'm saying potentially inflamatory shit, why is the NY Times so concerned with Christians on this one? Uganda is still only toying with the idea of murdering homosexuals. There are Islamic regimes near that same region of the world that ALREADY MAKE A PRACTICE OF THIS! And yet here I am, still waiting with baited breath for the ol' NY Times to similarly demonize Fundamentalist Islam for its ONGOING practice of what they've demonized American Christianity for POTENTIALLY influencing!

Anyway, double standards aside, the anti-gay dogma is fuckin stupid. I have the same problem with these shitheads as I do with Democrats and Progressives: You can't prove that your dogma and morality is correct. Stop expecting others to live by it.

I long for the day when live and let live is truly a mainstream ideal.

This is you guys:

I don't believe it.

I won't believe it.

I don't care how much evidence there is, I won't look at it.

I have already decided the truth and you guys are liars no matter what evidence you have.

The truth is these evangelicals went to Uganda and told them they were experts in psychology, gays and mental illness. They told these people that the aim of gays is to destroy their families and "turn" their children. They said something has to be done or that will be the end of their country. Links to all of this and video has been posted in other threads from years ago. This has been long running.

Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Act, 2014

During March 2009, Scott Lively met with several legislators and Minister of Ethics and Integrity James Buturo. He followed his visit with a post to his blog saying that he was "overjoyed with the results of our efforts and predicted confidently that the coming weeks would see significant improvement in the moral climate of the nation, and a massive increase in pro-family activism in every social sphere.

------------------------------------------------

Once this legislation was introduced after visits by Lively and other Evangelicals, suddenly, those American so called Christians are running for the hills screaming this is not what we intended. We take no responsibility for this. That's actually typical of the GOP in general. When have you heard any of them take responsibility for anything that happened under Bush?

Oh no, I'm well aware that a lot of southern Dems left the party when it became racially inclusive, and I'm not arguing that a lot of them didn't go Republican.

When you say, however, that MOST of today's Republicans are dixiecrats who only aren't Democrats because they're racists, well. . . sorry, but again, you don't have the numbers to substantiate that claim because it is a false claim.

The dodge attempt was cute, tho :)

It's not a dodge. I never said most of today's Republicans are Dixiecrats. How can those in Idaho and Montana be Dixiecrats. Oh wait. You were making shit up. OK, I get it. The truth is Republicans are 90% white. And that 10% isn't black, only a portion. That 10% are Asians, Hispanics, blacks, American Indians and smatterings of others who may not care to be called white.

The truth is, you don't want to know the truth. But I ask again, was Lincoln a "confederate"?

Forum List

Back