Euthenasia at the requet of a patient?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by JBeukema, Aug 30, 2009.

1. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    If a person is rendered in such a position through illness or injury that they will live for an extended period if their death is not accelerated, but that they will experience great pain or discomfort or other suffering the the meantime, is it (A) acceptable or (B) 'right' for a medical professional to assist them, after establishing that they are of sound mind, in ending their lives in a more tolerable manner? Why or why not?

Is a doctor's greater duty to protect life or to prevent and alleviate suffering? Is it 'doing harm' to enable a patient to end their own life? Is it doing harm to act in their stead in accordance with their wishes either as understood or expressed? Or is it doing greater harm to force a person to continue to living in such a state of suffering against their will?

2. Polk

Polk Classic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +569
    This.

3. iagainsti

iagainsti Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think the argument about euthanasia ties in with other issues involving life and death, and so should be answered by taking those into consideration as well.

Those against abortion argue that a fetus is a human being with a right to live. Those in favor of abortion argue that a fetus does not yet have the right to life that all human beings possess.

Those against the death penalty argue that a person, no matter what crime they've committed, retains his or her right to life. Those in favor of the death penalty argue that committing murder constitutes a forfeiture of one's right to life.

I find it interesting that there are many who will argue both against abortion and for the death penalty. Their reasoning is usually that those sentenced to death forfeited their right to life when they committed murder. But my question is this: what gives them the right to decide what constitutes a forfeiture of one's right to live? Should anyone be able to decide this? And if so, whom?

I think that the answer to all three of these issues is rooted in the question of: who should have the power to determine whether or not a person has the right to live? (For the sake of this argument, "person" also includes the unborn and convicted murderers). If you would answer:

no one: Everyone has a right to life which no one, not even the person in question, should have the power to violate. This means that abortion, the death penalty, and euthanasia should all be illegal.

the government/majority: Our leadership should have the power to determine whether someone has the right to live. This meanst hat the legality of abortion, the death penalty, and euthanasia should be decided by the majority opinion and/or the powers that be.

the person in question: Only the person in question should have the power to acknowledge or forfeit his or her right to life. This means that the death penalty should be illegal, euthanasia should be legal, and abortion is still iffy (obviously the fetus doesn't have the capacity to make any such decision, so it could be argued that the right to decide should lie with the person whom the decision most affects - the mother - therefore meaning that abortion should be legal...although one could also argue that since the fetus doesn't have the capacity to decide, and only the person in question can decide, it should be illegal).

I would answer that only the person in question should have the power to forfeit his or her right to life, and therefore I would argue in favor of euthanasia.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  4. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    A life of suffering is a fate worse than an eternity in hell.

5. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    kill em all!

6. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    :lol: That to. :eusa_whistle:

7. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    I am liberal, I want anyone over the age of 65 dead remember.

8. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    I thought we had it down to 60? :eusa_eh:

9. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    no my parents are 62 and 63, I can't cut them off just yet.

10. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,081
    so, can a teen just off themselves cuz they don't like peer pressure and this be viewed as OK just because they decided it?

can any person on the street decide to blow their heads off in the middle of the street for others to see....it is ''their'' body?

or a teacher that wants to do themselves in, to do such whenever they please, like in their classroom in front of their students?

care