Euthanasia...yes/no/depends/sometimes?

Originally posted by jimnyc
Yes, I think you should be put down peacefully.

thanks, i'll get right on it...seriously.

Originally posted by jimnyc
I think I speak for the majority of the board when I say "Thank You".

you think i'm joking huh?

I'm assuming he was talking about people here, so I'll bite.

I can see where people are coming from on this. If someone is suffering from unimaginable pain and they don't want to live anymore, I can see why some people think it should be legal to help them die. The main problem I have is how they could prove that this is what the person wanted, and it would be terrible if there was some kind of forgery, misunderstanding, or fraud that made someone believe that this was what they wanted when it was not. I don't really know how you would prevent that from happening.

If we're talking about people, speaking for myself, I wouldnt want to live like that. I've done extensive volunteer work in the past with the local hospice organizations. The pain associated with different types of cancers is undescribeable.

I always had a softer side for Dr. Kevorkian (sp?). I know had one of his patients been a family member, I wouldnt want to force them to live through that type of pain, and pain to the extent which cancer involves.

I tend to agree with Tim. The lines over fraud/forgery would definitely be shady in this type of situation. If there were some clear cut way to prove it is the individuals request, and not a disgrunted spouse, it should be allowed.

Technically, murderers are ethanized. They can brutally murder someone and be painlessly "put to sleep". If we can offer that type of relief from the pain of death to convicted murderers, why can we not offer that to a terminal cancer patient.

Originally posted by deciophobic
what are your thoughts?
I think it should be legal. If a person wants to take their own life they should be able to. The constitution guarantees the right to life, it doesn't state that you have to live.

Personally, I have no desire to live via so-called medical miracles.

I think euthanasia should be legal certainly. It's the ultimate control over the duration of one's lifespan, the gov't should not be in charge of such a decision. Oh, sure, there should be counseling and safeguards to prevent a faulty decision but ultimately the decision itself should remain in the hands of the individual. There's really no way to stop a person who's determined to shuffle off this mortal coil anyway. For an interesting look at the concept see 'grace quigley', an excellent katherine hepburn movie.

Originally posted by Aquarian
I think euthanasia should be legal certainly. It's the ultimate control over the duration of one's lifespan, the gov't should not be in charge of such a decision. Oh, sure, there should be counseling and safeguards to prevent a faulty decision

Absolutely right.

This is why I loved Kevorkian so much. If you want to kill yourself, please by all means go ahead. If it were a legal option requiring medical supervision I really feel more people would be inclined to seek psychological advice and medical assistance. Obviously, some would still choose to off themselves without medical consultation, but at least some people might be saved, or some family members or perfect strangers might be saved the grief or horror of gruesome discovery.

Better that then walking into your high school and killing 15 classmates and then killing yourself.

Forum List

Back