Enough is enough

IsaacNewton

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2015
The US Navy is about to launch its newest aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald Ford, the first of the new Ford class.

Cost: $ 13 billion dollars!

Even a layman could see that all ships are now vulnerable to surface to ship missiles. And when those missiles cost a few million dollars, compard to 13 billion dollars, the cost/benefit ratio is gigantic. And this ship won't be invulnerable to missiles, just like every other ship. Especially if 10 missiles or more are shot at them at once. Which, if someone is trying to sink a US carrier then the horse is out of the gate and its full on war so they won't hold back.

The US military wastes hundreds of billions of dollars on crap like this that is meant to fight a war 50 years ago, just because they want to spend the money.

$13 billion for one ship. Ridiculous.

She's a beauty!!!! GO Navy!!!!!

USS-Gerald-Ford-aircraft-carrier-2.jpg

The US Navy is about to launch its newest aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald Ford, the first of the new Ford class.

Even a layman could see that all ships are now vulnerable to surface to ship missiles. And when those missiles cost a few million dollars, compard to 13 billion dollars, the cost/benefit ratio is gigantic. And this ship won't be invulnerable to missiles, just like every other ship. Especially if 10 missiles or more are shot at them at once. Which, if someone is trying to sink a US carrier then the horse is out of the gate and its full on war so they won't hold back.

The US military wastes hundreds of billions of dollars on crap like this that is meant to fight a war 50 years ago, just because they want to spend the money.

I guess you have never been on a carrier, nor have you studied the kind of defenses that they have, because otherwise you wouldn't have brought up missiles.

Carriers have a missile defense system, it's called CWIS (Close In Weapons System) and is usually a gatling gun that is capable of firing over 3,000 rounds per min. Sailors have nicknamed that particular little system "R2D2 with a hard on", because that is exactly what it looks like. And, there is one mounted on the 4 corners of the ship, as well as 2 others on either side, midships.

And that is before we start talking about the countermeasures that the picket ships guarding the carrier are deployed. Aegis and Arleigh Burke class ships that are also able to take out missiles.

BTW Issac, if you look closely at the front right part of the ship (starboard bow), you would see what looks like a white canister that has a domed top, that is on that little area built to the side of the flight deck.

That is the CIWS system, and I've seen it in action, they are marvelous to behold.

Especially when you are putting short legged Air wing on them that will get immediately torched by modern fighters

Do such ships have defence from submarines? Now i am little interesting in the subject, cause the topic of master's diploma is close to that.

The future of naval aviation is is submarine launched drone carriers.

Especially when you are putting short legged Air wing on them that will get immediately torched by modern fighters

So, you think that the FA-18 Super Hornet is a fighter that will get torched by other countries?

Might wanna read up on the capabilities of the airframe. I was stationed with an FA-18 outfit from 1989 until 1994.

Try again.

Do such ships have defence from submarines? Now i am little interesting in the subject, cause the topic of master's diploma is close to that.

Whenever a carrier battle group is deployed, a fast attack submarine goes with them to look for subsurface threats.

I guess you have never been on a carrier, nor have you studied the kind of defenses that they have, because otherwise you wouldn't have brought up missiles.

Carriers have a missile defense system, it's called CWIS (Close In Weapons System) and is usually a gatling gun that is capable of firing over 3,000 rounds per min. Sailors have nicknamed that particular little system "R2D2 with a hard on", because that is exactly what it looks like. And, there is one mounted on the 4 corners of the ship, as well as 2 others on either side, midships.

And that is before we start talking about the countermeasures that the picket ships guarding the carrier are deployed. Aegis and Arleigh Burke class ships that are also able to take out missiles.

Yes sorry I know all about all the defenses, they are formidable. But enough missiles will quickly overload that whole defense network. Evidently you only see what you want to see in a post and you ignore the rest. Read again.

Nevermind, it won't matter. You perhaps need Amuhrca to be untouchable in all things. Sorry that isn't the case. Interesting though, how much exactly WOULD be too much to spend on one ship? $100 billion? $ 1 trillion?

And if you read posts here the very same people that view our military as untouchable are the same people that are terrified of China, Russia, and Isis. A whole schizophrenia going on there.

I have no problem whatsoever with them spending money on a carrier.

What sets my hair on fire and has me spitting bullets is this type of waste that was just uncovered.

"WASHINGTON — U.S. taxpayers footed the bill for a $43 million natural-gas filling station in Afghanistan, a boondoggle that should have cost $500,000 and has virtually no value to average Afghans, the government watchdog for reconstruction in Afghanistan announced Monday.

Military blew $43M on useless gas station

A Pentagon task force awarded a $3 million contract to build the station in Sheberghan, Afghanistan, but ended up spending $12 million in construction costs and $30 million in "overhead" between 2011 and 2014, the Special Inspector General for Afghan Reconstruction (SIGAR) found. Meanwhile, a similar gas station built in neighboring Pakistan cost $500,000."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-afghanistan-gas-station-boondoggle/75037032/

So, you think that the FA-18 Super Hornet is a fighter that will get torched by other countries?

Might wanna read up on the capabilities of the airframe. I was stationed with an FA-18 outfit from 1989 until 1994.

Try again.
I think F-35 will,,,,, F-18 is our weakest current fighter

Whenever a carrier battle group is deployed, a fast attack submarine goes with them to look for subsurface threats.
special submarine to carry carrier? Oh, as far as i know there are a lot of ships around it, so one submarine to add up... and how many units at all it needs to follow?

special submarine to carry carrier? Oh, as far as i know there are a lot of ships around it, so one submarine to add up... and how many units at all it needs to follow?

No, it's a fast attack, not a "special submarine", and we have enough that one submarine can deploy with each and every carrier to guard them. They usually stay pretty close to wherever the carrier is and mainly watch over them alone.

The picket ships have submarine countermeasures (Prairie Masker system, generates lots of bubbles to confuse torpedos), as well as subsurface sonar.

BTW.........whenever a carrier deploys, there are several ships that go with them (in addition to the submarine) to defend them. It's called a carrier battle group.

BTW Issac, if you look closely at the front right part of the ship (starboard bow), you would see what looks like a white canister that has a domed top, that is on that little area built to the side of the flight deck.

That is the CIWS system, and I've seen it in action, they are marvelous to behold.
think its called 'metal storm' in'it BSailor ??

Forum List

Back