English should be the official language?

Should English be America's Official Language

• Yes

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Gingrich got applause at the debate for saying English should be our official language. Agree or disagree?

I agree for several reasons

It allows and encourages new legal immigrants to assimilate
It does not allow for "language ghettos" to be created (that is that people end up stuck in certain communities, usually very low income, based on a language if they don't speak the main language of english)
It helps create a sense of unity amongst all citizens.

I have more reasons...here check out this article it has a few good reasons in it Why the U.S. Needs an Official Language

Too much rep, yada-yada, 24 hours, blah-blah. But thanks!

10 bucks says the majority of progressives believe the natives spoke Spanish.

$10 bucks says that was a pretty damn ignorant statement.

On the other hand, I took history going on 40 years ago, so I am of course wondering if the natives in what is now Texas weren't speaking Spanish.

I'm probably overdue for a refresh on American history.

Step 1 in settling THIS little wager is to come to agreement on the definition of 'progressive'.

:dunno: I'm at a loss. :dunno: Baffled.

1. the US has always been based on the idea we are a melting pot
2. we don't speak English we speak a combination of languages. Words like faux pas are not English.
3. what exactly is it going to accomplish?
4. We weren't founded by English in reality...the natives were here first and there are so many languages and our language is so mixed that it makes no sense really. Why not make it Cherokee if you want an official language? after all we aren't English and in reality no one here speaks English.

For one, it would help weed out naturalized citizens versus illegals. Also If part of the immigration process was to learn to speak english, then you wouldn't have as many language barrier problems, cause it's not just mexicans that game the system by saying me no understand. Third, we could convey the word hideous, in a way that helps you take down that picture.

OMG. When I was a bill collector, I can't tell you how many times I had somebody answer the phone "He- erm, Bueno!" NOT amused when I transferred them to the Spanish reps. In fact, about 80% of the time, they hung up.

It wasn't the language, Betty Bill Collector. :eusa_whistle:

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
Our public schools ought to require the study of Latin as a lead in to a required study of at least one foreign language beginning in grade four.
Why should I be required speak someone else's language in my own country?

You shouldn't. But if through education all kids get exposed to things like foreign languages and piano and guitar, the world will have more parties.

:party: I'm all about the party!

English IS our official language. People really should know their history. It was decided back when we became a country and congress was deciding what language we should have. Dutch came in a close second. As far as I know, Spanish wasn't even on the list.

Requiring English as an official language is UN American

Only read the first 40 replies before posting so apologies if it's already been pointed out.

What the Newt actually said was 'make English the official language of government'.
I take that to mean that you're applying to any government entity you need to know English.
Be it your driver's license, social security card, passport, or whatever.

If you come to this country legally and go through the citizenship process properly this should pose no problem for you.
If it does, tough shit, go back.

And stop with the England English bullshit. You're nit-picking and look stupid with your petty shit.

Only read the first 40 replies before posting so apologies if it's already been pointed out.

What the Newt actually said was 'make English the official language of government'.
I take that to mean that you're applying to any government entity you need to know English.

If you come to this country legally and go through the citizenship process properly this should pose no problem for you.

And stop with the England English bullshit. You're nit-picking and look stupid with your petty shit.

Government represents the people. There is no law that says you have to speak English to pay your taxes. In communicating with it's citizens government has an obligation to be as open as possible.

While whites are the majority so will speaking English be the majority.

When Hispanics become the majority so will speaking Spanish be the majority.

It's that simple.

It's that simple.

I told you, English IS our official language. That was decided back when we became a country. Changing it now is stupid. Even refusing to admit that English is our official language is stupid. Why can't anyone learn history? I don't understand it's like even our government is saying that never happened, but what do you expect when they no longer teach the declaration of Independence in schools today as they don't want our people to declare their independence from this government that no longer represents the people that elected it.

It's that simple.

I told you, English IS our official language. That was decided back when we became a country. Changing it now is stupid. Even refusing to admit that English is our official language is stupid. Why can't anyone learn history? I don't understand it's like even our government is saying that never happened, but what do you expect when they no longer teach the declaration of Independence in schools today as they don't want our people to declare their independence from this government that no longer represents the people that elected it.

I must have missed history class that day

Can you show me where English has ever been designated as our official language?

It's that simple.

Can you show me where English has ever been designated as our official language?

You didn't miss anything. They don't teach real history in our public schools. Bet you think Paul Revere made the midnight ride and the battle of bunker hill actually took place on Bunker hill.

And do you know the real reason for the Boston Tea Party?

You didn't miss anything. They don't teach real history in our public schools. Bet you think Paul Revere made the midnight ride and the battle of bunker hill actually took place on Bunker hill.

And do you know the real reason for the Boston Tea Party?

I know that Revere made that ride to be ringing those bells and warning the British they better not be taking our guns

I know the Battle of Bunker Hill was actually fought on Breeds Hill, I also know the Boston Tea Party had something to do with mandatory health care

Do any of you really think when Hispanics are the majority they are going to speak your language, celebrate your holidays, study your history?

Why would or should they?

how many spanish only speakers are ceo's where you work

The wealthiest man in the world is Carlos Slim, he speaks Spanish. SO think about it you dolt..and look where I live and then tell me how many speak Spanish dolt...all of them do every business owner where I live speaks Spanish. My former next door neighbor is the president of the country I live in.

Are you as stupid as you look? we're not in honduras now are we? If your concern was for honduras, then why worry about the topic of this thread? You also prove my point, that wealthy hispanics stay where they came from. Only the bums flood our shores.

So if you pay your taxes and call 911 you get hung up on because you don't speak English?

:doubt:

It's that simple.

Can you link to this decision? There is nothing in the constitution naming an official language. Who decided?

Oh and Oracle, you can try to get a rise out of me with insults all you want, the more you insult me the more I know you are losing the argument, because when a person results to insulting the other person they are discussing a political issue with it means they have already lost the argument...so make your case or find somewhere else to play because in debate I will stomp your tail and I have been doing this since I was 16 and I am 40 now and I can tell you this, I don't need google to help me.

Tell yourself that if it helps fao. I'm not in honduras pretending to be Cherokee, while at the same time missing the point of the thread, because I'm too busy trying to get google to make me look smart. Since you don't live here, what happens here is really none of your business anyway, now is it? wannabe cherokee.

So if you pay your taxes and call 911 you get hung up on because you don't speak English?

:doubt:

So if you visit another country and call for help, you expect them to speak English for you?

Forum List

Back