English should be the official language?

Should English be America's Official Language

• Yes

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Only read the first 40 replies before posting so apologies if it's already been pointed out.

What the Newt actually said was 'make English the official language of government'.
I take that to mean that you're applying to any government entity you need to know English.
Be it your driver's license, social security card, passport, or whatever.

If you come to this country legally and go through the citizenship process properly this should pose no problem for you.
If it does, tough shit, go back.

And stop with the England English bullshit. You're nit-picking and look stupid with your petty shit.

So if you pay your taxes and call 911 you get hung up on because you don't speak English?

:doubt:

So if you visit another country and call for help, you expect them to speak English for you?
I don't really care what other countries do. None of them are governed by our constitution.

Still doesn't justify the personal crap. Calling bullshit on what you perceive as bullshit is a right of yours that I will defend 'till I'm euthanized, but there's never a call for phrases like "dummy" and "put the peyote pipe and the babies down". That's just mean.

I didn't know that I was here to change your pampers, or be your play date. By the way, it was intended to be mean. I'm not in the business of pacifying folks on this site. As it stands everyone at some point or another is at each others throat. I started out trying to be nice and was given the bums rush. I learned quickly where you folks hail from theoretically. Everyone believes in free speech, until you piss them off. Well now I cut to the chase. If I perceive stupid, I call stupid. This site is designed merely to inspire pissing contests anyway. Do you REALLY think you matter to the other folks that come here? I know I don't. Nor do they, to me. So I don't really think I need your opinion, or code of ethics on what's mean or not. Let miss fao chipowah defend herself.

And if somebody is so obviously nasty that it's apparent that they desperately need to get laid, but that's not an option, I take it it's okay to go ahead and point that out, too. Right?

Don't really care. But if it makes you feel better, then do it. That's how I roll.

Only read the first 40 replies before posting so apologies if it's already been pointed out.

What the Newt actually said was 'make English the official language of government'.
I take that to mean that you're applying to any government entity you need to know English.
Be it your driver's license, social security card, passport, or whatever.

If you come to this country legally and go through the citizenship process properly this should pose no problem for you.
If it does, tough shit, go back.

And stop with the England English bullshit. You're nit-picking and look stupid with your petty shit.

So if you pay your taxes and call 911 you get hung up on because you don't speak English?

:doubt:

So if you visit another country and call for help, you expect them to speak English for you?

Actually, in most other countries, 911 operators are able to speak English

I don't really care what other countries do. None of them are governed by our constitution.

How many languages do you think the people at 911 should have to speak?
Please answer my previous question first.

Where are you getting this information that it was decided long ago that English is our official language?

I didn't know that I was here to change your pampers, or be your play date. By the way, it was intended to be mean. I'm not in the business of pacifying folks on this site. As it stands everyone at some point or another is at each others throat. I started out trying to be nice and was given the bums rush. I learned quickly where you folks hail from theoretically. Everyone believes in free speech, until you piss them off. Well now I cut to the chase. If I perceive stupid, I call stupid. This site is designed merely to inspire pissing contests anyway. Do you REALLY think you matter to the other folks that come here? I know I don't. Nor do they, to me. So I don't really think I need your opinion, or code of ethics on what's mean or not. Let miss fao chipowah defend herself.

And if somebody is so obviously nasty that it's apparent that they desperately need to get laid, but that's not an option, I take it it's okay to go ahead and point that out, too. Right?

Don't worry it is apparent that Oracle is jealous...at 40 I still have a 25 year old fiancee...and wear a size 5 in clothing and can get away with a bikini and there are no babies..my baby is 15 and the oldest is 21 so I raised my babies and am not insecure...I am betting he is though since he finds the need to attack someone else and wail about their 'looks' ..I have to ask this to oracle..jealous much?

Wow that was a great retort...not. 21 huh? started crankin em out at 18, couldn't find a fiancee till 40. Yeah I'd say I'm jealous. I wish I could be miss dry heave 2011 and still convince some retard to get engaged to me AFTER my warranty expired. Size five...can Marc Anthony feed you? You look Cambodian, not sexy. Sorry Fao.

Where are you getting this information that it was decided long ago that English is our official language?

History, read a book.

The first constitution congress had to decide what language we would use. They chose English.

So how many languages do you think the people working at 911 should have to speak?

Nothing wrong with this.
Near as I can tell the first 150 or so years of our country's history immigrants came to this country from non english speaking countries and learned the language.

actually they didn't learn the language. The first 150 years or so there were entire colonies of non english speakers that spoke things like German, Gailic, Polish, Italian, Spanish, etc...in Texas in the first 150 years of the US they spoke Spanish and also in the entire southwest for that matter.

stop with your google quotes. You're not that bright. Your Interpretation of what free speech means proves that.

A 911 operator does not have to speak every language. But they should have access to people who do.

The person making that call may be calling to save YOUR life againshiela. Would you like 911 to hang up on them?

For one, it would help weed out naturalized citizens versus illegals. Also If part of the immigration process was to learn to speak english, then you wouldn't have as many language barrier problems, cause it's not just mexicans that game the system by saying me no understand. Third, we could convey the word hideous, in a way that helps you take down that picture.

Wow, that really makes no sense.

How's that?

Demonstrating an ability to speak English is part of the (legal) immigration process, but speaking it during your daily life is of course not required and would not be even if English were made our official language. And speaking English is in no way required of natural-born citizens.

A 911 operator does not have to speak every language. But they should have access to people who do.

The person making that call may be calling to save YOUR life againshiela. Would you like 911 to hang up on them?

How do you even expect them to know what language is being spoken? Why should those who work at 911 be language experts? Do you have any idea what the job entails? How much it pays? They can't afford to hire language experts. If you can't speak English, you sure as heck shouldn't expect 911 to understand you.

When we were in Japan, if we needed to call for help, we called one of our English speaking friends. We sure as hell didn't expect everyone there to speak English, how stupid is that?

If I'm in trouble and the only person who can call 911 doesn't speak English, I expect I'll die. Maybe it's time to stop illegal immigration completely and curtail legal immigration reducing the chances of someone who doesn't speak our languages having to use our resources.

For one, it would help weed out naturalized citizens versus illegals. Also If part of the immigration process was to learn to speak english, then you wouldn't have as many language barrier problems, cause it's not just mexicans that game the system by saying me no understand. Third, we could convey the word hideous, in a way that helps you take down that picture.

I'm guessing that, either you ARE hispanic, or you have never had an encounter with one that barely speaks English. If part of the immigration process was learning English, adjusting would be easier, no? If all immigrants were required to learn English, you'd know who wasn't here legally for the most part, would you not? As far as the person I was responding to initially...hideous speaks for itself...using my free speech and all. If it still makes no sense, then you are clearly a poster child for why we should act now! Of course you'll argue to be contrary. Folks that post like you, usually do.

You are really, really bad at guessing, and - again - demonstrating an ability to speak English is part of the (legal) immigration process.

Still doesn't justify the personal crap. Calling bullshit on what you perceive as bullshit is a right of yours that I will defend 'till I'm euthanized, but there's never a call for phrases like "dummy" and "put the peyote pipe and the babies down". That's just mean.

All I'm saying is that you'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar, giving instant value to your opinion, making it that much more likely that you're not wasting your time here.

And yes, I do think my opinion matters. I think yours matters too.

As far as the rest goes, calling stupid is as stupid does is kind of what this board is all about and it's certainly what keeps MY dear readers coming back for more. But a quick wit is all I have - I'm not lucky like Ravi to have both a quick wit and a smokin' bod.

Stop it hippie. When you leave here, you don't plan your day around what I say. Even if you agree with something I say, it only has about an 20/80 chance of becoming one of your talking points. By the way, who wants to catch flies for any reason than crushing them anyway?

History, read a book.

The first constitution congress had to decide what language we would use. They chose English.

So how many languages do you think the people working at 911 should have to speak?
They didn't have to decide nor did they decide. Every one of them spoke English.

A system that serves taxpayers should serve tax payers. So if you have a large group of non-english speakers you should hire people that can communicate with.

I'm guessing that, either you ARE hispanic, or you have never had an encounter with one that barely speaks English. If part of the immigration process was learning English, adjusting would be easier, no? If all immigrants were required to learn English, you'd know who wasn't here legally for the most part, would you not? As far as the person I was responding to initially...hideous speaks for itself...using my free speech and all. If it still makes no sense, then you are clearly a poster child for why we should act now! Of course you'll argue to be contrary. Folks that post like you, usually do.

You are really, really bad at guessing, and - again - demonstrating an ability to speak English is part of the (legal) immigration process.

When I lived in Mexico years ago, I sat though a lecture, in Spanish, about how terrible it was that so many Americans were going down there without learning the language. I reserve the right to give that same lecture IN ENGLISH to the Spanish speaking morons who come here and expect us to speak their language.

Words like faux pas are not English.

Yes they are.

no the word faux pas is french, the word patio is Spanish, sauna is a Finnish word, paradise is Persian and so on and so on I could go on all day telling you words we use daily that are NOT english that we use every day.

You could go on and on not understanding what you are really saying.

Those words are all part of the English language. English happens to have quite a lot of loan words, but they most certainly are fully part of the language.

Forum List

Back