English should be the official language?

Should English be America's Official Language

• Yes

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1. the US has always been based on the idea we are a melting pot
2. we don't speak English we speak a combination of languages. Words like faux pas are not English.
3. what exactly is it going to accomplish?
4. We weren't founded by English in reality...the natives were here first and there are so many languages and our language is so mixed that it makes no sense really. Why not make it Cherokee if you want an official language? after all we aren't English and in reality no one here speaks English.

For one, it would help weed out naturalized citizens versus illegals. Also If part of the immigration process was to learn to speak english, then you wouldn't have as many language barrier problems, cause it's not just mexicans that game the system by saying me no understand. Third, we could convey the word hideous, in a way that helps you take down that picture.

Wow, that really makes no sense.

No it doesn't dummy. stop googling and look around. I'll tell you what keep defending those slothful immigrants. When you go to work (assuming you can put down your peyote pipe and babies) if you even HAVE a job and google how many spanish only speakers are ceo's where you work, even if you catch phrase is "would you like fries with that". It may be a melting pot here and a land of opportunity, but it's only that way for those who'll work for it and yes, learning the language is part of that work. Think I'm kidding? Next time you call tech support, ask for a manager, then see if you hear anyone speaking spanish as a first language. For that matter, what position do you hold where YOU work?
I know quite a few successful people whose first language is Spanish. Where do you live, in a cave in Montana?

Successful and company leaders are two different things dolt. You could be a successful dog walker too.

Hispanic Trends

No. Not English.

I've been to England and they talk funny. If we're going to have an official language, it should be 'American'.

But there are no American classes in high school.

We obviously don't speak the Queen's English, but it is English nonetheless.

:D

Obviously.

Sarcasm detectors should be in the 'on' position before proceeding! :eek:

2. we don't speak English we speak a combination of languages. Words like faux pas are not English.
4. We weren't founded by English in reality...the natives were here first and there are so many languages and our language is so mixed that it makes no sense really. Why not make it Cherokee if you want an official language? after all we aren't English and in reality no one here speaks English.

For one, it would help weed out naturalized citizens versus illegals. Also If part of the immigration process was to learn to speak english, then you wouldn't have as many language barrier problems, cause it's not just mexicans that game the system by saying me no understand. Third, we could convey the word hideous, in a way that helps you take down that picture.

How's that?

First of all I am not Mexican. I am Cherokee Indian and Hispanic...so let's make it easy for you...get a life this is not England and we don't speak English here. Furthermore, making any language EXCLUSIVE to any part of life makes it a violation of freedom of speech in the constitution.

On the other hand, printing government publications and forms in a limited number of languages makes good national and economic sense. Doesn't mean you can't speak Mongolian in the Starbucks, ass-u-me-ing the dude you're yakking with understands the words coming out of your mouth, it just means you may need a translator with you when you apply for food stamps.

Last edited:

I'm guessing that, either you ARE hispanic, or you have never had an encounter with one that barely speaks English. If part of the immigration process was learning English, adjusting would be easier, no? If all immigrants were required to learn English, you'd know who wasn't here legally for the most part, would you not? As far as the person I was responding to initially...hideous speaks for itself...using my free speech and all. If it still makes no sense, then you are clearly a poster child for why we should act now! Of course you'll argue to be contrary. Folks that post like you, usually do.

No. Not English.

I've been to England and they talk funny. If we're going to have an official language, it should be 'American'.

You ever been to Alabama?

I have.... back in '69.... there was a banjo on my knee, as I recall.... her name was 'Suzanna'.......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJf-XJPu27Y]Summer of '69 - YouTube[/ame]

First of all I am not Mexican. I am Cherokee Indian and Hispanic...so let's make it easy for you...get a life this is not England and we don't speak English here. Furthermore, making any language EXCLUSIVE to any part of life makes it a violation of freedom of speech in the constitution.

On the other hand, printing government publications and forms in a limited number of languages makes good national and economic sense. Doesn't mean you can't speak Mongolian in the Starbucks, ass-u-me-ing the dude you're yakking with understands the words coming our of your mouth, it just means you may need a translator with you when you apply for food stamps.

Here's what else could make good sense. See how they like getting PAID in their native currency. They shouldn't see any reason to go all "English" with the print on their currency then either. Pay them what they got paid with back home AND pay them WHAT they got paid back home. Watch how fast they want to go "American" then. englais iz gud, englais iz gud.

A melting pot means no official language..especially when we have a bill of rights that includes everyone...

.In Meyer v. Nebraska, a landmark 1923 Supreme Court decision, the Court declared unconstitutional laws which restricted the use of non-English languages. In Meyer, the Supreme Court struck down a state statute that prohibited the teaching of any subject in a language other than English to students below ninth grade in public or private schools.

1923 case, Bartels v. Iowa, an Iowa statute requiring that all teaching be conducted only in English was declared unconstitutional. In Yu Cong Eng v. Trinidad, a 1926 case, a state statute which prohibited the keeping of accounting books in any language other than English or Spanish was unconstitutional because it denied equal protection to Chinese immigrants.

Title VI of the Civil Rights Act, programs that receive federal funding are prohibited from discrimination
How Can There Be Free Speech If It's Only In English?

No it doesn't dummy. stop googling and look around. I'll tell you what keep defending those slothful immigrants. When you go to work (assuming you can put down your peyote pipe and babies) if you even HAVE a job and google how many spanish only speakers are ceo's where you work, even if you catch phrase is "would you like fries with that". It may be a melting pot here and a land of opportunity, but it's only that way for those who'll work for it and yes, learning the language is part of that work. Think I'm kidding? Next time you call tech support, ask for a manager, then see if you hear anyone speaking spanish as a first language. For that matter, what position do you hold where YOU work?
I know quite a few successful people whose first language is Spanish. Where do you live, in a cave in Montana?

:eusa_think: Would living in a Montana cave explain his mean streak?

So I guess those English only advocates would not have a problem if Hispanics became 51% of the population and changed it to Spanish only

If it is so important to have English as the offical language, why did the Founding Fathers not authorize it many years ago?

On the other hand, printing government publications and forms in a limited number of languages makes good national and economic sense. Doesn't mean you can't speak Mongolian in the Starbucks, ass-u-me-ing the dude you're yakking with understands the words coming our of your mouth, it just means you may need a translator with you when you apply for food stamps.

Here's what else could make good sense. See how they like getting PAID in their native currency. They shouldn't see any reason to go all "English" with the print on their currency then either. Pay them what they got paid with back home AND pay them WHAT they got paid back home. Watch how fast they want to go "American" then. englais iz gud, englais iz gud.

:eusa_think: Well, so much for any thoughts of actually shrinking the bureaucracy!

You're going to need a LOT of government to implement that kind of regulation on employment. :eusa_hand: This average Joe is WAY to liberal to advocate for that much government intrusion.

First Joe, this idiot is lying. You ever notice how jackasses always know a whole BUNCH of people that are the opposite of your point? It's amazing really. And living in a cave? where do they live? How many ceo's do they rub elbows with? I mean, it's just dumbfounding, how someone with those kinds of people in their circle can find time to post at 7:00 in the morning, much less be interest in it. You think those super successful friends of hers are posting right now? I call bullshit.

First Joe, this idiot is lying. You ever notice how jackasses always know a whole BUNCH of people that are the opposite of your point? It's amazing really. And living in a cave? where do they live? How many ceo's do they rub elbows with? I mean, it's just dumbfounding, how someone with those kinds of people in their circle can find time to post at 7:00 in the morning, much less be interest in it. You think those super successful friends of hers are posting right now? I call bullshit.

Still doesn't justify the personal crap. Calling bullshit on what you perceive as bullshit is a right of yours that I will defend 'till I'm euthanized, but there's never a call for phrases like "dummy" and "put the peyote pipe and the babies down". That's just mean.

So I guess those English only advocates would not have a problem if Hispanics became 51% of the population and changed it to Spanish only

Here we go. Captain contrary to the rescue. Do you think any other country would let that happen?

If it is so important to have English as the offical language, why did the Founding Fathers not authorize it many years ago?

It was probably a given, since there was no signer of the constitution named Sanchez.

Here we go. Captain contrary to the rescue. Do you think any other country would let that happen?

Let what happen?

We are a country of individual rights and personal choice. If we are going to degrade ourselves and become a country where the majority enforces a language on the minority, we should be consistent and accept the consequences if the minority language reaches 51%

Forum List

Back