Employment bait and switch

airplanemechanic

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2014
For some reason, I've been a victim of this more than once. I take a job, at stated pay with stated job description, and at some point it gets changed not a little bit, but DRASTICALLY with no change in pay.

The first instance was when I was the manager of a corporate jet facility. My job description was maintaining the facility, airplane movement and fueling, and payroll. Fair enough. After 2 and a half years one day my boss texts me and says the yard crew wants a raise of 50 a month, I say no, find another yard crew. I said ok. I call a dozen, they come out, give us estimates, etc. I wind up picking one, and asking the boss if it was ok because it would save us 50 dollars a month over the current yard crews CURRENT rate. He said that works, bring them on. I said ok. I sign the 12 month contract at the stated amount and tell my boss its done. He comes UNGLUED. He said "I never said sign any contracts binding the owners of this facility to anyone." I said you told me to bring on a yard crew. So what does he do? Goes behind me, voids the contract, buys me a PUSH mower and a weedeater and says now its your job. Oh yea, I still had everything to do from before, but now I'm the yard crew too. By the middle of July I was almost passing out mowing the yard, it was a 9 hour job each time. I eventually quit.

The second instance I was hired on to answer phones and input orders for one company. Now this guy owns several companies and that's fine, but my paycheck has one companies name on it. Ignoring the fact that he offered me 4 dollars an hour less than he said he would during the interview, as soon as I was hired on he said basically now you're my bitch. You will do anything I tell you to do for any of the companies I own. You work for me now. Well, that lasted almost 2 years and I walked away from that shit too.

Am I the only one that thinks its unethical to make an offer to someone for a job, stating the job description, and then changing it after the fact? I think that's pretty shitty if you ask me.

Last edited:
That seems to happen frequently. We used to have written job descriptions for our employees so no question on what job duties entailed.

Labor unions kept this sort of thing from happening.

But it's all about corporate overlords these days. Trickle down theory in action.

That seems to happen frequently. We used to have written job descriptions for our employees so no question on what job duties entailed.

Yeah. A former Human Resources female who was employed at my current job ( she was a SGT in the Army ) had a job description for new and incoming Security employees.

In the job description was = No work in severe or harsh weather .

I seen that on the desk in the Foremans office and laughed at myself.

Some people really do not know what we do in Public Safety.

Shadow 355

One step forward, two steps backward...
icon_omg.gif

BLS: Employed Up 67,000 in June; Unemployed Up 347,000
July 8, 2016 | The civilian labor force expanded in June, adding 414,000 people, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today.
The number of employed people increased by 67,000 to 151,097,000 in June, but the number of unemployed people increased even more, by 347,000 to 7,783,000. The unemployment rate ticked up two-tenths of a point to 4.9 percent. BLS said 94,517,000 Americans were not in the labor force in June, a slight improvement from May's record 94,708,000; and after dropping for three straight months, the labor force participation rate increased a tenth of a point to 62.7 percent in June. In September 2015, the labor force participation rate hit 62.4 percent, its lowest point since 1977. So the June participation rate was only three-tenths of a point off its record low. The economy added 287,000 jobs in June, the Labor Department said, a rebound from the extremely weak 11,000 (revised from 38,000) jobs added in May and the revised 144,000 jobs added in April.

In June, according to the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics, the nation’s civilian noninstitutional population, consisting of all people 16 or older who were not in the military or an institution, reached 253,397,000. Of those, 158,880,000 participated in the labor force by either holding a job or actively seeking one. The 158,880,000 who participated in the labor force equaled 62.7 percent of the 253,397,000 civilian noninstitutional population. Last month, Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen told Congress the Fed is keeping a close eye on the labor force participation rate. She said she expects that rate to "continue declining in the coming years because we have an aging population." As baby-boomers retire, "they work less," she noted, even though younger people "participate more."

People who have not actively looked for work in the previous month are not counted as participating in the labor force. Yellen told Congress that "a sign of a strengthening labor market is to see people who were discouraged brought back into the labor force." The Bureau of Labor Statistics counted 5,692,000 people in June as "persons who currently want a job," down from the 5,923,000 in May. Yellen was asked last month why workers are not being hired for those millions of available jobs: "There are an enormous number of job openings, and there is a certain degree of mismatch of workers who are looking for work with the job openings that are available," Yellen said.

She pointed to the shift from unskilled workers to the demand for skilled labor. "The consequence of that has been rising inequality, a high return to education and downward pressure on the wages of those who are less skilled and middle income." Yellen stressed the need for "education and training, perhaps apprenticeships of the type that are used in some European and other countries -- these are ideas that really have to be considered" to boost wages and incomes, she said.

BLS: Employed Up 67,000 in June; Unemployed Up 347,000

Yeah. A former Human Resources female who was employed at my current job ( she was a SGT in the Army ) had a job description for new and incoming Security employees.

In the job description was = No work in severe or harsh weather .

I seen that on the desk in the Foremans office and laughed at myself.

Some people really do not know what we do in Public Safety.

Shadow 355
That can be a problem with government and big corps or franchises. I owned the company so I can assure you the descriptions were written accurately and very detail as to leave no doubt if they did not do what the job required that they applied for and were sent down the road there were no valid come backs on us.

Forum List

Back