Employer recruiters: Applicants are turning down jobs to stay on gov't handouts

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Recruiters: Some Unemployed Turn Down Jobs - Louisville News Story - WLKY Louisville

So, this was a September 2010 article. Recruiters were complaining that many applicants turned down a job because they preferred to simply stay on unemployment. And guess what? We extended unemployment later in 2010.

But what if we didn't? If we didn't extend unemployment, those people would then take the jobs they turned down. But we did extend it, and I bet those people are still on unemployment.

How can liberals not see this? Jobs are there. But if we keep giving handouts, people wont work. They'll take free money as long as they are offered it. THAT article in Sept 2010 says that. I bet if we rewrote history, and did not extend unemployment in 2010, then many of those people would've taken a job and be working TODAY rather than still on unemployment....bitching about not having a job.

Recruiters: Some Unemployed Turn Down Jobs - Louisville News Story - WLKY Louisville

So, this was a September 2010 article. Recruiters were complaining that many applicants turned down a job because they preferred to simply stay on unemployment. And guess what? We extended unemployment later in 2010.

But what if we didn't? If we didn't extend unemployment, those people would then take the jobs they turned down. But we did extend it, and I bet those people are still on unemployment.

How can liberals not see this? Jobs are there. But if we keep giving handouts, people wont work. They'll take free money as long as they are offered it. THAT article in Sept 2010 says that. I bet if we rewrote history, and did not extend unemployment in 2010, then many of those people would've taken a job and be working TODAY rather than still on unemployment....bitching about not having a job.

I have brought this up a number of times.One of the hosts on WABC radio in NY was curious as to why so many people were still out of work after 99 weeks of collecting and they were mad that it might finally be cut off.The callers all were of the same opinion.As long as the checks were coming in they saw no reason to even begin to look for work.

Shit if you could get those bastards at the staffing services to actually do their fucking jobs it would be a miracle. They don't even want to talk to you unless you come in and tell them you will only take temporary positions, you will work jobs that require experience (i.e. not entry level) and you will take minimum wage.

Staffing Agencies suck the big one.

If you are actually looking for a frigging job they don't want anything to do with you.

Immie

PS Sorry about the language. I've been trying to work through staffing agencies and the minute you tell them you are looking for a permanent position, they are kicking your butt out the door.

Immie

They shouldn't be given a choice in jobs, either take it or don't, we are still cutting off your benefits.:eusa_angel:

Someone want to tell me where these job offers were, I'm about to pounce on that...

I have brought this up a number of times.One of the hosts on WABC radio in NY was curious as to why so many people were still out of work after 99 weeks of collecting and they were mad that it might finally be cut off.The callers all were of the same opinion.As long as the checks were coming in they saw no reason to even begin to look for work.

Americans are lazy bastards, for the most part, and not like the workers in the EU.

Someone want to tell me where these job offers were, I'm about to pounce on that...

A 5 sec. search................

TheLadders.com brings you real, open $100k+ jobs across every industry and sector. We currently have 64,340 jobs listed on our site, which makes us the most comprehensive listing of the best $100k+ jobs out there. Our recruiter database also allows you to connect with thousands of top recruiters to help you find that next job faster.
If you're in the market for a $100k+ job, you won't find a better resource anywhere.
:eusa_angel:

TheLadders.com brings you real, open $100k+ jobs across every industry and sector. We currently have 64,340 jobs listed on our site, which makes us the most comprehensive listing of the best $100k+ jobs out there. Our recruiter database also allows you to connect with thousands of top recruiters to help you find that next job faster.
If you're in the market for a $100k+ job, you won't find a better resource anywhere.

Thanks for the link.

Shit if you could get those bastards at the staffing services to actually do their fucking jobs it would be a miracle. They don't even want to talk to you unless you come in and tell them you will only take temporary positions, you will work jobs that require experience (i.e. not entry level) and you will take minimum wage.

Staffing Agencies suck the big one.

If you are actually looking for a frigging job they don't want anything to do with you.

Immie

I agree. If you go into a staffing agencies, they only want to hire you for temp jobs.

See the problem is taking a temp job gets you off unemployment and you can't get back on once that job is done. So if the job that lasts only 2 months is over, you get no unemployment and no food stamps. That just doesn't make much sense to take a temp job.

Like I said, I got laid off because of budget cuts because I was right out of college (for those who think teachers are untouchable). I waited 7 months to get selected for another job, traveled to Springfield, St. Louis and Kansas City, MO while I lived in Columbia to interview for jobs. Took huge expenses to interviews that never panned out. Without unemployment, I wouldn't of had money to travel to these interviews and the time it takes to conduct these interviews (Sometimes would spend 8 hours of travel and time for interview and be exhausted).

So long story short. Bucs' article is misleading.

Thanks for the link.

Welcome, and wish you luck. The job maybe overseas, but the best adventure you could probably experience. I know China is always looking for Americans to teach their people. Saudi Arabia does a lot of hiring of Americans. I think if you stay a year out of country, your wages are US-Tax free as well.

Last edited:
I know at least two folks who fall into this category. Both young white ppl. One Republican, one hippie. Both think their unemployment payments over the years fund their benefits. Idiots.

Unemployment needs to be given creatively. If you accept it there is a 25% chance you will have to pick up littler on the highway 40 hours this week. A 25% chance you have to pull honeysuckle bushes up from public property. 10% chance you will have to wash state vehicles all week. A 5% chance you will be shipped to South Dakota to work on that Crazy Horse statue.

Feel free to offer different percentages or other job ideas.

Hell, I want to see that statue finished. How many folks can we effectively make work there.

Forum List

Back