Empathy..... I know you know how to take care of #1...

That's an interesting list. No empathy for earthquake victims? I understand not having empathy for tornado victims, it's their own fault - But who wouldn't have a heart for those poor suckers nailed by an earthquake?

Why should we have empathy for earthquake suckers? It ain't our "fault"!

sometimes it is san andreas' fault.

Empathy. The ability to walk a mile in another persons moccasins.

Is feeling empathy for others a virtue to be envied and emulated, or a weakness displayed by creatures known as 'food' that should be exploited?

:eusa_think: Common sense and self preservation dictate that, at some level, genuine interest must be shown in the feelings of those we live and work with.....
:eusa_eh: How large a community deserves some level of 'empathy'?​

It depends on your definition of what empathy is.

:eusa_think:

:eusa_eh: How about "The ability to walk a mile in another persons moccasins?"

Although...
I suppose that having the ability is moot if one fails to use it...

A better definition would be the willingness to take it upon yourself to walk that mile no matter what the road conditions are.

Love takes work.

So... :dunno: What level of my community deserves some measure of my empathy?

It depends on your definition of what empathy is.

:eusa_eh: How about "The ability to walk a mile in another persons moccasins?"

Although...
I suppose that having the ability is moot if one fails to use it...

A better definition would be the willingness to take it upon yourself to walk that mile no matter what the road conditions are.

Love takes work.

So... :dunno: What level of my community deserves some measure of my empathy?

To me, it's those who are trying to change, who've maybe made some really bad decisions, but recognize it and want to do it different. That's why I volunteer with the homeless - usually they're homeless due to their own bad choices.... but, in order to get onto the program, they've already had to take steps to change.... giving up the drugs or alcohol... and by the time I work with them, they've done the really hard stuff.... I'm just there to help them re-skill so they can stand on their own two feet.

As far as I am concerned, that's my duty as a Catholic.... and as a conservative.

Kind of hard to walk a mile in the shoes of an unmotivated underachieving idiot. How do us that are not try to emulate that? Instructions please. How can we learn empathy for the idiots among us, tie half our brain behind our back? Become a boozer? Take up smoking crack? Go get an STD? Act like a whiny crybaby bitch? How does one find empathy for stupid when one can't relate?

Kind of hard to walk a mile in the shoes of an unmotivated underachieving idiot. How do us that are not try to emulate that? Instructions please. How can we learn empathy for the idiots among us, tie half our brain behind our back? Become a boozer? Take up smoking crack? Go get an STD? Act like a whiny crybaby bitch? How does one find empathy for stupid when one can't relate?

Empathize: The ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Emulate: Match or surpass (a person or achievement), typically by imitation. Or Imitate.

How is that possible when one can't relate what-so-ever? I.E. I don't understand these occutards one single bit, haven't a clue what's wrong with them or what they are whining and bitching about. They simply sound like a bunch bitch spoiled adult children with an inflated sense of expectation of others.

How can one understand and share feelings that are foreign to them and their world mindset? Seriously, I see a lot of people bitching about life lately and for the life of me I can't see what their fucking problem is, other than in their head maybe.

Sorry, but if you're NOT blind, crippled, retarded, AND you ARE here in the land of endless opportunity, you really have nothing to bitch about and won't find much empathy from anyone I think.

I know a lot of people's lives are kind of fucked up lately, but in most all instances you can blame it on bad life choices, in which case they should serve as an example to others. I.E. you jack around and don't take your high school education seriously you should be destined to living in the gutter. I.E. you eat like a pig and fail to exercise, you should die of a massive stroke. I.E. you sleep around you should get an STD. I.E. You smoke for 40 years, expect cancer . . . and no empathy.

No empathy for self inflicted stoopid, can't relate.

Last edited:

How is that possible when one can't relate what-so-ever? I.E. I don't understand these occutards one single bit, haven't a clue what's wrong with them or what they are whining and bitching about. They simply sound like a bunch bitch spoiled adult children with an inflated sense of expectation of others.

How can one understand and share feelings that are foreign to them and their world mindset? Seriously, I see a lot of people bitching about life lately and for the life of me I can't see what their fucking problem is, other than in their head maybe.

Sorry, but if you're NOT blind, crippled, retarded, AND you ARE here in the land of endless opportunity, you really have nothing to bitch about and won't find much empathy from anyone I think.

I know a lot of people's lives are kind of fucked up lately, but in most all instances you can blame it on bad life choices, in which case they should serve as an example to others. I.E. you jack around and don't take your high school education seriously you should be destined to living in the gutter. I.E. you eat like a pig and fail to exercise, you should die of a massive stroke. I.E. you sleep around you should get an STD. I.E. You smoke for 40 years, expect cancer . . . and no empathy.

No empathy for self infected stoopid, can't relate.

I can empathize with some people. Not with others. Self inflicted - if they choose to do nothing to help themselves, then I won't 'help' them either.

But... for those who find themselves in difficult circumstances... either through their own making (ie drugs or alcohol) but want to change... yea, I can emphasize and try to help. Or for those who find themselves in difficult circumstances through no fault of their own - such as some kind of natural disaster... yea, I'll emphasize and try to assist them..

Empathy. The ability to walk a mile in another persons moccasins.

Is feeling empathy for others a virtue to be envied and emulated, or a weakness displayed by creatures known as 'food' that should be exploited?

:eusa_think: Common sense and self preservation dictate that, at some level, genuine interest must be shown in the feelings of those we live and work with.....
:eusa_eh: How large a community deserves some level of 'empathy'?

Like every other characteristic of personality, EMPATHY exists on a scale of possibility.

Humans exhibit a range of empathy ranging from EMPATH to SOCIOPATH.

Sociopathic personalities are completely berift of the ABILITY to imagine the plight of the other.

Empaths are entirely capable of understanding and identifying with the plight of another.

Most of us are somewhere on that scale of empthy.

We can indentify somewhat with the plight of the other.

But we are no so empthic that that we'll let the plight of the other to get in the way of our maximizing our happiness.

Last edited:

No empathy for self inflicted stoopid, can't relate.

looks like you are talking about pity or compassion, not empathy.

Yeah, I like the idea of discretionary/selective help.

There are many I can sympathize with out there and would and do help, a lot. What I take issue with is having to involuntarily help those I wouldn't otherwise give the time of day to.

Lots of people out there may need help, but many don't deserve it nor should they get any because of bad choices in life should come with difficult consequences. And serve as examples.

I really do have a lot of empathy, compassion, for those at a disadvantage due to no fault of their own. Ticks me off however to see others trying to equate themselves to someone that is blind, for example,and is truly in need and deserving of help.

I'll feed the blind. I won't help idiots that had more children than they were prepared to raise and handle. I'll help if you get hit by lightening while strolling on a cloudless sunny day. I'll laugh my ass off at you if you get hit by lightening strolling outside on a cloudy rainy stormy day. I'll also laugh if mother nature strikes back at your kind for slaughtering dolphins and whales (i.e.no empathy for Fuku victims, not after witnessing a dolphin harvest ~ that shit makes me want to see the earth open up and swallow them all alive ~ no empathy, hell no).

Forum List

Back