Emmys Sink to Record-Low Ratings

There was a time most people watched these award programs with some pride in it. A time with many fewer TV stations and no social media. A time when the people involved were not political. But the award programs in a slow fashion started to become political. It was amusing and shocking at first from protestors to mild rebuttals from entertainers. The age of hundreds of TV channels and other ways of viewing on a TV screen has turned us into a political view woke dystopian nightmare. For us and not those who spout it.

Award shows are a joke anyway.

People get paid large sums of money to sing and act, they get to have lavish lives with stuff handed to them, they are catered to, they are famous, millions of people listen to them everytime they fart out a tweet, and are treated like royalty.

Then they go on national TV and get awards on top of all of that. So they get fame and fortune, then we give them awards for it. I'd imagine the fame and fortune would be enough payment.

Awards shows are a sham anyway. They only exist to make money off advertising. If the people running awards shows didn't get paid no one would do them.

There was a time most people watched these award programs with some pride in it. A time with many fewer TV stations and no social media. A time when the people involved were not political. But the award programs in a slow fashion started to become political. It was amusing and shocking at first from protestors to mild rebuttals from entertainers. The age of hundreds of TV channels and other ways of viewing on a TV screen has turned us into a political view woke dystopian nightmare. For us and not those who spout it.

I never understood pride in watching an awards show.

Why would I take pride in what someone else does? That always seemed weird to me. So they acted and got paid? Well, that's a job. I don't take pride in what anyone else does at their job. I don't know the people personally so it isn't like I have anything invested in them. I'm not involved in the show or movie. All I did was watch it. It's not even like the actors are from my town or anything. I have 0 relation to them.

I don't know. I'd rather cut my grass, play a game, watch a movie, visit my grandma, talk to my neighbors, fix something at my house, fire up the grill, anything except sit and watch someone I don't even know win an award for doing a job they were paid to do.

But yeah, before I didn't care about awards. But when they started becoming about political and social agendas I started to hate them. Some rich and famous stranger that isn't qualified to lecture isn't going to lecture me about their agendas.

Last edited:

They've become a platform to virtue signal. If you're not part of the club, then it's a colossal waste of time.

yawn!

Oh brother....

No....

Back in the 70's through the 2010's, you may not watch a show but you'd see commercials for it...and be aware of it. Because there were 3 or 4 terrestrial networks that were in every market. UPN and CW were there as well but they were somewhat regional and fragmented. So when the Emmys came on (or the OSCARS or the Grammys) you were at least aware of the actors, performers, projects, works of art produced that you may not have experienced first hand. Here is an example. I never watched 3rd Rock From the Sun. For whatever reason, I never watched it. But I was happy to see the actors I knew win it. Compare that to today.... you can sit there and watch the Grammys and have never even heard of the shows that won because you don't subscribe to the service that airs them....and usually Hulu series are not advertised on Peacock. So it's hard to have interest in the winners or their artwork unless you're familiar with it. Zendeyah (sp?) won an award last night. I wouldn't be able to pick her out of a police lineup. Its hard for an award show to hold your interest when you're unaware of the winners and nominees.

yawn!

Oh brother....

No....

Back in the 70's through the 2010's, you may not watch a show but you'd see commercials for it...and be aware of it. Because there were 3 or 4 terrestrial networks that were in every market. UPN and CW were there as well but they were somewhat regional and fragmented. So when the Emmys came on (or the OSCARS or the Grammys) you were at least aware of the actors, performers, projects, works of art produced that you may not have experienced first hand. Here is an example. I never watched 3rd Rock From the Sun. For whatever reason, I never watched it. But I was happy to see the actors I knew win it. Compare that to today.... you can sit there and watch the Grammys and have never even heard of the shows that won because you don't subscribe to the service that airs them....and usually Hulu series are not advertised on Peacock. So it's hard to have interest in the winners or their artwork unless you're familiar with it. Zendeyah (sp?) won an award last night. I wouldn't be able to pick her out of a police lineup. Its hard for an award show to hold your interest when you're unaware of the winners and nominees.
I was never Interested in any award shows ever. I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would be. Who gives a shit if some actor gets an award? Seriously, if all the actors and all the musicians disappeared in a flash of light tmw how is my life really all that different? Anyone who’s life is changed by some stupid TV show or a song you hear probably needs reevaluate their life.

I was never Interested in any award shows ever. I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would be. Who gives a shit if some actor gets an award? Seriously, if all the actors and all the musicians disappeared in a flash of light tmw how is my life really all that different? Anyone who’s life is changed by some stupid TV show or a song you hear probably needs reevaluate their life.
Thats just sad.

I don't think I've ever watched one but in today's climate lemme guess
Big fat black lesbians and dudes in dresses swept up every stage monkey award

Pun intended for the big fat black lesbians

Cause I can

Award shows are a joke anyway.

People get paid large sums of money to sing and act, they get to have lavish lives with stuff handed to them, they are catered to, they are famous, millions of people listen to them everytime they fart out a tweet, and are treated like royalty.

Then they go on national TV and get awards on top of all of that. So they get fame and fortune, then we give them awards for it. I'd imagine the fame and fortune would be enough payment.

Awards shows are a sham anyway. They only exist to make money off advertising. If the people running awards shows didn't get paid no one would do them.

I never understood pride in watching an awards show.

Why would I take pride in what someone else does? That always seemed weird to me. So they acted and got paid? Well, that's a job. I don't take pride in what anyone else does at their job. I don't know the people personally so it isn't like I have anything invested in them. I'm not involved in the show or movie. All I did was watch it. It's not even like the actors are from my town or anything. I have 0 relation to them.

I don't know. I'd rather cut my grass, play a game, watch a movie, visit my grandma, talk to my neighbors, fix something at my house, fire up the grill, anything except sit and watch someone I don't even know win an award for doing a job they were paid to do.

But yeah, before I didn't care about awards. But when they started becoming about political and social agendas I started to hate them. Some rich and famous stranger that isn't qualified to lecture isn't going to lecture me about their agendas.
There was a comfort watching those shows at one time. They had their political views, but it was muted for the most part and they put on a good show. Once in a while some type of a protest showed up causing a stir. It was Americana even with some from foreign nations as presenters and receivers of awards. After a hard day of work and relaxation needed with the kids watching also or in bed, it ended a day and set up the nest at the water cooler or anything else people worked at or being a homemaker to debate what happened. That died a long time ago.

Thats just sad.
Why because I don’t idolize someone who can sing or dance? Can you really name a song or movie that had you not seen or heard it your life would be demonstratively different? Really?

I like movies. I don’t watch them or TV all that much but on occasion I will watch one and if the movie is good I enjoy it. But my life would be the same whether or not I ever saw any of the movies I’ve watched over my lifetime.

Why because I don’t idolize someone who can sing or dance? Can you really name a song or movie that had you not seen or heard it your life would be demonstratively different? Really?

So singing happy birthday at your kid’s birthday to give them joy or Christmas carols is something you don’t do?
I like movies. I don’t watch them or TV all that much but on occasion I will watch one and if the movie is good I enjoy it. But my life would be the same whether or not I ever saw any of the movies I’ve watched over my lifetime.
So you never discuss these movies with anyone…?

So singing happy birthday at your kid’s birthday to give them joy or Christmas carols is something you don’t do?

So you never discuss these movies with anyone…?
Did I say that? The only reason not singing that song on someone's birthday would be significant is because it's a normal thing to do in our culture. Birthday celebrations are forbidden in Islam pretty sure no one is singing Happy Birthday to Muslim kids and the vast vast majority of them end up ok.

If the Birthday song had some lasting effect on your life.....

Did I say that? The only reason not singing that song on someone's birthday would be significant is because it's a normal thing to do in our culture.
Yes.

Anyone who’s life is changed by some stupid TV show or a song you hear probably needs reevaluate their life.

Birthday celebrations are forbidden in Islam pretty sure no one is singing Happy Birthday to Muslim kids and the vast vast majority of them end up ok.

If the Birthday song had some lasting effect on your life.....
Again...your reasoning is just sad.

The Birthday song changed your life?
At the time...yes. Just like hearing Brahms lullaby, the Star Spangled Banner, hymns I sang in church, Christmas Carols... Stairway to Heaven.
And I’m sad?
Not sure you feel sadness. This board has no shortage of weird people.

I am 100% sure your thinking that music means nothing....art means nothing is profoundly sad.

At the time...yes. Just like hearing Brahms lullaby, the Star Spangled Banner, hymns I sang in church, Christmas Carols... Stairway to Heaven.
So its your contention that had you never heard the Birthday song you would not be essentially the same person you are now? Wow.

How do you explain all those Muslim kids growing up never even celebrating their birthday and it seems to affect them not at all?

You are a fundamentally different person because of the Birthday song and an entire religion (over a billion people) get along just fine without it. Maybe thats why some of them become terrorists. We should just sing them the Birthday Song….

Not sure you feel sadness. This board has no shortage of weird people.

I am 100% sure your thinking that music means nothing....art means nothing is profoundly sad.

I didn’t say music and art meant nothing. They just aren’t nearly as important as we make the out to be.
Plumbers have made a bigger impact on your life than the most talented song artist ever alive.

Forum List

Back