Emiratis Want Dress Code For Tourists

Well here we go again, Sharia law here we come.

r-UAE-DRESS-CODE-large570.jpg

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates -- With the number of foreigners dwarfing that of locals in her hometown of Abu Dhabi, Asma al-Muhairi has become increasingly anxious at the prospect of her younger nieces abandoning their full-length black robes in favor of Western attire that seems to be everywhere she goes.

But it wasn't until the 23-year-old marketing worker came face to face with two scantily-clad female foreigners at one of the many luxury shopping malls in the United Arab Emirates that she decided to take action.

"While going to a mall, I saw two ladies wearing ... I can't say even shorts. It was underwear," said al-Muhairi, whose black abaya – a long garment worn by conservative Gulf women – is offset by a gold Versace watch and egg-shell blue handbag.

"Really, they were not shorts," she said. "I was standing and thinking: `Why is this continuing? Why is it in the mall? I see families. I see kids around.'"

Failing to persuade the mall to intervene, al-Muhairi and another Emirati woman, Hanan al-Rayes, took to Twitter to air their concerns in May.

They were inundated with responses that prompted them to launch a Twitter campaign dubbed (at)UAEDressCode that aims to explore ways to combat the growing number of shoppers in low-cut dresses and hot pants.

As the campaign picked up steam, it also has served to symbolize the growing concerns among Emiratis, a tiny minority in their own country.

Emirati citizens account for a little more than 10 percent of the 8 million people living in the Gulf nation. Most of the population is made up of Asian, African and Middle Eastern guest workers, as well as Western expatriates living here temporarily.

The overall population more than doubled over the past decade as the country embarked on a building boom that transformed Dubai, up the coast from Abu Dhabi, into the Arabian Gulf's financial hub and a popular tourist draw.

"I think in an increasingly tumultuous region and in an era of powerful and often intrusive globalizing forces, citizens of the UAE are increasingly concerned that their traditions and core values are being eroded," said Christopher Davidson, an expert on Gulf affairs at Britain's Durham University.

"In some senses, it is a grassroots reaction to authorities and leaders that have for many years done little to check this erosion," he added. "We've seen reactions to alcohol, so now we are seeing a reaction to immodest dress."

How very Puritanical of them.

Conservatives aren't generally "puritans" brah. I know you think you're getting a dig, but you aren't numb nuts.

Well here we go again, Sharia law here we come.

r-UAE-DRESS-CODE-large570.jpg

How very Puritanical of them.

Conservatives aren't generally "puritans" brah. I know you think you're getting a dig, but you aren't numb nuts.
Hell, you're right about CON$ervoFascists, not only are they not Puritans they aren't even Christian. They are ChINOs, Christians In Name Only, for political purposes only. I know you think you're dodging a dig, but you aren't numb nuts.

Last edited:
One step forward, three steps backwards. Just your average day in the Islamic shithole of your choice.

So I take it you believe you have the right to wear whatever you please in another country?
If so, please explain why.
Yes. As Long as you're not walking naked in public. Seriously what is wrong with people making their own choices? If a woman wants to dress wearing jeans, or a skirt that goes up to the knees, why does she have to worry about some facist "morality police" with a baton harassing or arresting her. Of course this just one component of Shariah Law which treats women as property and cattle and persecutes non Muslims. Are all the problems in
Emirates solved and now they have nothing better to do but force women to wear Islamic attire?

Those who claim that "this is their culture" and "what the women their want" are IGNORANT IDIOTS that have not been following the oppressin and subjugation of women in countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and Afghanistan under the the Taliban.

Basically, the West has no dress codes or apparel standards.

So women from the Middle East can wear their burqa's, hijab, niqab, and other exotic clothing in our country.

Remember, it's all about personal liberty, and Freedom of expression, and all of that jazz. :cool:

and I have noticed the Somalian Muslims in our town let their women drive, walk alone and attend school. All without being harrassed, or subjugated like Muslim countries. Muslims would be much happier in the world without the dogmatic social oppression that they now face.

Obviously not. It was the women doing the complaining. Muslims in this country permit these things with the intended goal of changing the laws in this country so that they can't do them anymore.

It is truly amusing to see Americans twisting up when they go to another country and are actually expected to abide by their laws. But, when foreigners come here, we expect them to abide by our laws.

Emirates solved and now they have nothing better to do but force women to wear Islamic attire?
Why does this bother you soo much?

Are you planning to live there? :cool:
Doesn't bother me. Just stating my opinion. Muslims insist in living like backwards ass Neanderthals, and dragging the rest of the world back with them to the Middle Ages. Why does this impress you so much?

I cheer these two muslim women that started the blog about the obscene way that Western women dress in their country.There needs to be a dress code for tourists and other foreign visitors.If they don't like it; than don't visit.

This trolling chimp is predictable to the point of hilarity; idiot fucking moron, does this mean that in the West then we can deport all muslims who do not conform to Western culture/styles of dress, etc.?

The IQs of posters like this and sherri the whore racist filth are so low that they cannot be measured.

I cheer these two muslim women that started the blog about the obscene way that Western women dress in their country.

There needs to be a dress code for tourists and other foreign visitors.

If they don't like it; than don't visit. :cool:
You cheer the oppression of women. Only a crazy person would do that.

This trolling chimp is predictable to the point of hilarity; idiot fucking moron, does this mean that in the West then we can deport all muslims who do not conform to Western culture/styles of dress, etc.?

I agree with Sunni Man, and calling him a moron for holding a different opinion is out of line, not to mention disrespectful.

Every country has different culture. In America, you have more freedoms. I don't think these women want foreigners to cover up entirely, just to dress a little more modestly, and there is nothing at all wrong with that.

It is truly amusing to see Americans twisting up when they go to another country and are actually expected to abide by their laws. But, when foreigners come here, we expect them to abide by our laws.

Good point. :clap2:

I cheer these two muslim women that started the blog about the obscene way that Western women dress in their country.

There needs to be a dress code for tourists and other foreign visitors.

If they don't like it; than don't visit. :cool:

Yet another good point. :clap2:

They don't have to let foreigners in if they don't want to. And if they want to impose a dress code, then why not?

I agree with Sunni Man, and calling him a moron for holding a different opinion is out of line, not to mention disrespectful.

Every country has different culture. In America, you have more freedoms. I don't think these women want foreigners to cover up entirely, just to dress a little more modestly, and there is nothing at all wrong with that.
Naomi, that's an Arab name isn't it? The other day I was walking through one of these open malls when I started seeing a lot of Muslim families with the men walking in the front and the women following them like cattle, totally covered from top to bottom in black, with only the eyes showing. It really made me vomit and I'm sure I wasn't the only one feeling that way.

Why do these backwards ass Neanderthals come to the US anyway, and start walking in malls with people dressed normally, girls wearing nice dresses that complement their bodies, and their freedom to choose wo and what they want to be? Why don't they go back to the shithole they come from? I bet you, to those filthy apes, anybody not dressed like they were, was probably a whore. Meanwhile people were avoiding walking close to them.

I think we need to pass one of those laws like they did in France banning this kind of gear in public. Even their clothes carry the stench of oppression and barbarism.

Last edited:
Naomi, that's an Arab name isn't it? The other day I was walking through one of these open malls when I started seeing a lot of Muslim families with the men walking in the front and the women following them like cattle, totally covered from top to bottom in black, with only the eyes showing. It really made me vomit and I'm sure I wasn't the only one feeling that way.

Why do these backwards ass Neanderthals come to the US anyway, and start walking in malls with people dressed normally, girls wearing nice dresses that complement their bodies, and their freedom to choose wo and what they want to be? Why don't they go back to the shithole they come from? I bet you, to those filthy apes, anybody not dressed like they were, was probably a whore. Meanwhile people were avoiding walking close to them.

I think we need to pass one of those laws like they did in France banning this kind of gear in public. Even their clothes carry the stench of oppression and barbarism.

Noomi is a Swedish name. :) My username comes from the Swedish actress Noomi Rapace.

I don't believe that any woman should be forced to cover herself if she chooses to live in the US or in Australia. We have freedoms here, including the freedom to wear pretty much what you want. If she is being made to cover up by her husband, then that is obviously very wrong and the husband should be ashamed of himself.

But some of these women actually want to cover themselves up. They feel more comfortable. We can't expect them to just whip off their clothes and walk around in shorts and a t shirt, especially if they have been wearing the burqa their entire lives.

I don't think we need to pass any laws making Muslim women take off their burqu's here, as the number of women who actually wear them is very small.

You are so full of hate Roudy it's sickening.

A visit to a mental health professional should be a top priority on your "Need to do" list.

I'm serious........ :cool:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back