Elon Musk floats an interesting idea about your car

Yeah, its something I would never ride in; ever. Period.

Its one of those things that, on a standard public roadway is a terrible idea and there is no way to make it even a “good” idea.
Doh! I gotta agree with you on that. It pains me.

A freezing blizzard would render the sensors useless and sure as hell wouldn't trust one on black ice.
That takes years of experience and intuition to drive in those conditions.

No, never will I trust driverless technology.
According to Elon Musk, it will be available in bulk next year. By the way, he voted for Biden. But won't make that mistake again.

Does this work for bicycles? ... not that I know of ... they all got stolen ... what's going to happen to your rig if you loan it to total strangers? ... it'll get stolen ...

With 90% less passenger vehicles on the road, y'all will be taken public transit ... "Don't make a fuss / just get on the bus" ...

This video presents an interview with Elon Musk about cars, his business model and future uses of your car.
Well to get to it, you would own a car that is automatic. And when you were working, your car drives away and picks up passengers like a Taxi does. And the owner engages in revenue sharing.

Would you allow your car to be automatic and engage in revenue sharing?

I dunno, my luck I’d get the guy who just finished lunch at the bbq place who decided to not wash his hands before crawling into my car…

Does this feature come with cleaning service?

I dunno, my luck I’d get the guy who just finished lunch at the bbq place who decided to not wash his hands before crawling into my car…

Does this feature come with cleaning service?
I do not know 100 percent of the details. Did you actually see the entire video?

Does this work for bicycles? ... not that I know of ... they all got stolen ... what's going to happen to your rig if you loan it to total strangers? ... it'll get stolen ...

With 90% less passenger vehicles on the road, y'all will be taken public transit ... "Don't make a fuss / just get on the bus" ...
Bus service is not available in this neighborhood.

A freezing blizzard would render the sensors useless and sure as hell wouldn't trust one on black ice.
That takes years of experience and intuition to drive in those conditions.

No, never will I trust driverless technology.
Do you trust airplanes autopilots?

Do you fly as a passenger?
Rarely. Pretty much have to roll the dice hoping someone didn't fuck up the programming.
But I drive everday and in the weather conditions here, driverless systems will be useless. Shit, they can't even program a car without errors.

Rarely. Pretty much have to roll the dice hoping someone didn't fuck up the programming.
But I drive everday and in the weather conditions here, driverless systems will be useless. Shit, they can't even program a car without errors.
Do you truly understand the way the driverless car is operating? The Driver is not in the car. The car at most can be involved in some accident. Insurance pays for damages. Musk spent days in one car driving in San Francisco and even he was amazed it worked perfectly and did so with no problems.

Do you truly understand the way the driverless car is operating? The Driver is not in the car. The car at most can be involved in some accident. Insurance pays for damages. Musk spent days in one car driving in San Francisco and even he was amazed it worked perfectly and did so with no problems.
Try it in a blinding snowstorm with black ice, clogged snow covered sensors and sporadic GPS because of the storm during rush hour and get back to me.

I prefer driving, actually like it.
Save the sales pitch for someone more enamored by it.

Bus service is not available in this neighborhood.

... and bicycles are illegal? ...

With 90% fewer passenger vehicles, there's more room for bus service ... if it's still too far (and there are limits to bicycle range*), you can use an EV to get to the closest bus stop ... that's the price you'll pay living a life of luxury out by the country club ... you pay them dues, you can afford the extra taxes on your rig ...

My Toyota Tacoma is a utility vehicle ... [sticks tongue out] ... so it's none of my problem ...

* = as a teenager, I thought nothing of riding ten miles one way to work ... easy ... mornings took me 30 minutes, nearly as long as by car ... afternoons tended more towards 45 minutes ... not an athlete, the cheerleaders could beat me up if wasn't nice to them ...

Last edited:
This video presents an interview with Elon Musk about cars, his business model and future uses of your car.
Well to get to it, you would own a car that is automatic. And when you were working, your car drives away and picks up passengers like a Taxi does. And the owner engages in revenue sharing.

Would you allow your car to be automatic and engage in revenue sharing?

I would be surprised if self driving cars ever become a common reality. Of course only time will tell.

I would be surprised if self driving cars ever become a common reality. Of course only time will tell.

How much time? ... self-flying airplanes are a reality today ... pilots are only needed in non-standard situations and/or airports without support for self-flying airplanes ...

There's real savings for the consumer if semi-trucks could travel closer together ... computer controlled slipstream ... and with 90% fewer passenger vehicles, these "convoys" could travel heavier and faster ... modern freeways are designed for 100 tons at 100 mph ... it's just all the amateur drivers out there ... "unsafe at any speed" ...

Brave New World was published about 100 years ago ... we're there in another 100 years ... you won't have permission to travel, so you don't need a rig ... simple ...

How much time? ... self-flying airplanes are a reality today ... pilots are only needed in non-standard situations and/or airports without support for self-flying airplanes ...

There's real savings for the consumer if semi-trucks could travel closer together ... computer controlled slipstream ... and with 90% fewer passenger vehicles, these "convoys" could travel heavier and faster ... modern freeways are designed for 100 tons at 100 mph ... it's just all the amateur drivers out there ... "unsafe at any speed" ...

Brave New World was published about 100 years ago ... we're there in another 100 years ... you won't have permission to travel, so you don't need a rig ... simple ...
I get all that. The difference between self driving planes and self driving cars is the cars have to rely on lane markings. The other big difference is the density. The planes aren't flying next to other planes. I've got a vehicle with adaptive cruise control and super cruise. I love it. It is based entirely off of lane marking. And it doesn't stay on 100% of the time. So like I said, I'll believe it when I see it. There are so many things that could cause problems that I don't think it will be practical at scale. Bad to put all of one's eggs in one basket.

Imagine being a cop that stops a driverless truck. Who can he ticket?

I get all that. The difference between self driving planes and self driving cars is the cars have to rely on lane markings. The other big difference is the density. The planes aren't flying next to other planes. I've got a vehicle with adaptive cruise control and super cruise. I love it. It is based entirely off of lane marking. And it doesn't stay on 100% of the time. So like I said, I'll believe it when I see it. There are so many things that could cause problems that I don't think it will be practical at scale. Bad to put all of one's eggs in one basket.

Cars don't have to rely on lane markings ... we could run a wire under the asphalt and install cheap induction coils under the tractors ... and then cheap radar in the front of each ... but MOST IMPORTANT is the computers on each rig communicate with each other ... like non-self-flying airplanes do ... even just pinging the 1200 channel let's everyone in the area know who you are, what you're doing, and where you're going ...

You won't see this ... no one in high school today will live long enough to see any of this ... I know you think you'll live forever, and so partying like you gonna die young works ... but only for a little while ... first we have to remove passenger vehicles from the roads and all the bad drivers ... once it's just CDLs out there, then we can run 100 tons at 100 mph ... nose-to-tail-pipe ... the public transit you're riding fits right in ...

Cars don't have to rely on lane markings ... we could run a wire under the asphalt and install cheap induction coils under the tractors ... and then cheap radar in the front of each ... but MOST IMPORTANT is the computers on each rig communicate with each other ... like non-self-flying airplanes do ... even just pinging the 1200 channel let's everyone in the area know who you are, what you're doing, and where you're going ...

You won't see this ... no one in high school today will live long enough to see any of this ... I know you think you'll live forever, and so partying like you gonna die young works ... but only for a little while ... first we have to remove passenger vehicles from the roads and all the bad drivers ... once it's just CDLs out there, then we can run 100 tons at 100 mph ... nose-to-tail-pipe ... the public transit you're riding fits right in ...
oh boy

Imagine being a cop that stops a driverless truck. Who can he ticket?

What probable cause would a driverless rig be subject to ... this might surprise you, but there has to be a traffic infraction for there to be a traffic ticket ... if there's no human, then there's no intent to commit a crime ... no ticket can be issued ...

We won't need traffic patrols ... computers would be self-reporting ... and self-paying out of your checking account ... we have that technology today ... installed since 2014 ...

Forum List

Back