Ellicott City, MD underwater....... Again

iI've driven hundreds of miles to kayak down rivers that looked a lot like that. Of course, I didn't have to dodge cars floating by though.

iI've driven hundreds of miles to kayak down rivers that looked a lot like that. Of course, I didn't have to dodge cars floating by though.
I've driven through Ellicott numerous times but never underwater........

Interestingly, enough, I have driven underwater several times, but never though Ellicot.

Oops, strike that. I think it was just the acid that made me think I was driving under water.

Never mind.

I've driven underwater. It's kinda cool.

It's amazing how the fact that you're underwater has no effect on either a car engine or one's lungs. First you have to be dreaming though.

It's a very deep ravine where the old town is. Flood prone. Mostly shops and restaurants with not much housing and for good reason. The water line of the river at the bottom of the ravine is very close to the street. Most people actually live in the high ground in the newer developments. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Good reason not to live there.

It's actually a very nice area. Many historic buildings and it definitely has an 'old town' feel to it. http://visitoldellicottcity.com/

The flood from 2 years ago was bad as well. I was driving home from a friends house when the rain started coming in. Torrential downpours that this area rarely sees. Couldn't see more than a few feet in front of you at the time. Many low lying areas were underwater within a few minutes. Roads turned into raging rivers. At one point on my way home, the GPS on my phone went 'haywire' and pulled up a map of a bridge. I couldn't get it to refresh; it kept going back to that one location. I pulled over on the side of the highway to restart my phone. Back up, it went right back to that location. After about 5 minutes, I got it to go back to where I currently was and got back on the road. The next morning, I found out that a couple of tourists had drowned in their car at the location my GPS kept bringing up. That was very eerie.

Good reason not to live there.

It's actually a very nice area. Many historic buildings and it definitely has an 'old town' feel to it. Home

The flood from 2 years ago was bad as well. I was driving home from a friends house when the rain started coming in. Torrential downpours that this area rarely sees. Couldn't see more than a few feet in front of you at the time. Many low lying areas were underwater within a few minutes. Roads turned into raging rivers. At one point on my way home, the GPS on my phone went 'haywire' and pulled up a map of a bridge. I couldn't get it to refresh; it kept going back to that one location. I pulled over on the side of the highway to restart my phone. Back up, it went right back to that location. After about 5 minutes, I got it to go back to where I currently was and got back on the road. The next morning, I found out that a couple of tourists had drowned in their car at the location my GPS kept bringing up. That was very eerie.
Been through there many times, lived in Northern Va for 35 years.

Forum List

Back