Electric Vehicles real effect on the environment

theHawk

Registered Conservative
Sep 20, 2005
Arizona
Wow, look what the fire departments have to do to deal with on EV fire:

Great for the environment, huh?

Then there is the effect they have on the power grid:

More and more EV charge stations means the more unstable the power grids will become, aside from the fact that no new infrastructure is even being talked about to supplying the huge new demand.

I just heard a CalTrans spokesman explain that battery disposal for their EVs wasn't going to be a problem because they would sell them to other people before the batteries died! He also said that powering all the new charging stations wouldn't be a problem because they had backup generators...

I actually like some of the tech that Edison Motors has developed. (They developed a hybrid)

These logging trucks have a "drive by wire" system that can really put torque and speed into the drive wheels. No limits on distance due to exceedingly long charging times and actually weighs less than a standard diesel truck. The Tractor frame is actually stronger and has more steel than current tractor frames but comes in lighter. It does have an extra axel but that doesnt negate the cost efficiencies of the hybrid.

So, it costs less to operate and has no loss of hauling capacity.

I could support this tech so long as the maintenance and repairs are not overbearing.

Wow, look what the fire departments have to do to deal with on EV fire:

Great for the environment, huh?

Then there is the effect they have on the power grid:

More and more EV charge stations means the more unstable the power grids will become, aside from the fact that no new infrastructure is even being talked about to supplying the huge new demand.

Wow, concern troll.

I just heard a CalTrans spokesman explain that battery disposal for their EVs wasn't going to be a problem because they would sell them to other people before the batteries died! He also said that powering all the new charging stations wouldn't be a problem because they had backup generators...
Backup generators that run on hydrocarbon fuel

I actually like some of the tech that Edison Motors has developed. (They developed a hybrid)

These logging trucks have a "drive by wire" system that can really put torque and speed into the drive wheels. No limits on distance due to exceedingly long charging times and actually weighs less than a standard diesel truck. The Tractor frame is actually stronger and has more steel than current tractor frames but comes in lighter. It does have an extra axel but that doesnt negate the cost efficiencies of the hybrid.

I could support this tech so long as the maintenance and repairs are not overbearing.
Hybrid maintenance is always going to cost more and create more problems. Sadly idiots decided to go zero emissions instead of improving on the hybrids to make them more viable. All this little 'green' experiment will accomplish is resetting ICE vehicles as the only viable form of personal and professional transport for decades to come.

More and more EV charge stations means the more unstable the power grids

We don't have to worry about that.

Companies trying to make a buck out of installing charging stations are scaling back after finding they are not profitable.

Nissan has a passenger car that runs on a similar concept.

A small ICE charges the battery and the drive train is fully electric . The engine is tuned for efficiency in just a narrow RPM range because it doesn;t have to supply power over a range of accelerations and the engine only kicks on when the battery reaches a specified depletion. This makes a lot more sense to me than the all electric plug in.

Nissan has a passenger car that runs on a similar concept.

A small ICE charges the battery and the drive train is fully electric . The engine is tuned for efficiency in just a narrow RPM range because it doesn;t have to supply power over a range of accelerations and the engine only kicks on when the battery reaches a specified depletion. This makes a lot more sense to me than the all electric plug in.

As far as I know....it's still not got a lot of power or performance and it's not "drive by wire" where each drive wheel gets its own 50hp+ DC motor.

A "drive by wire" system is where each wheel is driven or braked depending upon road conditions. One wheel doesn't end up spinning uselessly while the other is not turning (as with most torque converters) The huge difference is now there's better handling and maneuvering because all 4 wheels independently drive, brake, or even reverse. 4 wheel drive has nothing on this. This is very different.

Drive by wire is better than most systems in place. It also is cost effective.

As far as I know....it's still not got a lot of power or performance and it's not "drive by wire" where each drive wheel gets its own 50hp+ DC motor.

A "drive by wire" system is where each wheel is driven or braked depending upon road conditions. One wheel doesn't end up spinning uselessly while the other is not turning (as with most torque converters) The huge difference is now there's better handling and maneuvering because all 4 wheels independently drive, brake, or even reverse. 4 wheel drive has nothing on this. This is very different.

Drive by wire is better than most systems in place. It also is cost effective.
and dependent on a computer program.

I have an aversion to computer controlled cars

We have overcomplicated the simplest of mechanisms

and dependent on a computer program.

I have an aversion to computer controlled cars

We have overcomplicated the simplest of mechanisms
Well yeah...but instead of the computer controlling and limiting the cars performance (to save the batteries) the batteries this time actually only filter the electricity generated....huge difference. The computer now tries to deliver performance instead of limiting it for the sake of distance. And because the batteries can generate a larger voltage and amperage necessary the performance is much better. Instead of one electric AC motor you have 4 larger DC ones. (DC motors have more torque)

So far...if an off road logging truck can use this system and out perform a normal diesel truck....it's worth a look. That's why I like this system. It's out performing modern diesel trucks. No DEF or other emissions reducing features.

Mack Bulldog dump trucks were outperforming other diesel trucks during the construction of the Hoover Dam...that's how they made a name for themselves. Other manufacturers started copying and slowly improving on their design. And now we have gone way beyond that for the cargo fleets.

Where this design is decidedly Canadian...it's still built upon American technology. I think that if this sort of hybrid can be further fleshed out and most of the wrinkles in the systems ironed out....it actually could be a vehicle we all wouldn't mind driving. We could have better for cheaper and with better fuel economy. I'm OK with that.

Well yeah...but instead of the computer controlling and limiting the cars performance (to save the batteries) the batteries this time actually only filter the electricity generated....huge difference. The computer now tries to deliver performance instead of limiting it for the sake of distance. And because the batteries can generate a larger voltage and amperage necessary the performance is much better. Instead of one electric AC motor you have 4 larger DC ones. (DC motors have more torque)

So far...if an off road logging truck can use this system and out perform a normal diesel truck....it's worth a look. That's why I like this system. It's out performing modern diesel trucks. No DEF or other emissions reducing features.

Mack Bulldog dump trucks were outperforming other diesel trucks during the construction of the Hoover Dam...that's how they made a name for themselves. Other manufacturers started copying and slowly improving on their design. And now we have gone way beyond that for the cargo fleets.

Where this design is decidedly Canadian...it's still built upon American technology. I think that if this sort of hybrid can be further fleshed out and most of the wrinkles in the systems ironed out....it actually could be a vehicle we all wouldn't mind driving. We could have better for cheaper and with better fuel economy. I'm OK with that.

the average passenger car will never need that complexity because they are driven on uniform surfaces. The Nissan system removed range limitations from the equation by reducing both the size of the ICE and the size of the batteries

the average passenger car will never need that complexity because they are driven on uniform surfaces. The Nissan system removed range limitations from the equation by reducing both the size of the ICE and the size of the batteries
Yes...but it still has lackluster performance. Not that fun to drive or pretend it's sporty. Not saying its a bad car....but its like a prius...it needs a rainbow flag to fly to be complete. Ugghhh.

If they want these hybrids to actually sell....they need rugged trucks and sports car models. Even a station wagon for kid and grocery hauling. That's what sells. That's what people want.

When it comes to personal dollars people put performance over any and every environmental concern. Fuel efficiency is a lesser concern unless the vehicle is a gas hog (like a truck) unless fuel costs rise significantly. They want abilities for their vehicle they most likely will only use once or twice....stupid I know but that's people.

I'm waiting for self driving cars to be available to the public.

Yes...but it still has lackluster performance. Not that fun to drive or pretend it's sporty. Not saying its a bad car....but its like a prius...it needs a rainbow flag to fly to be complete. Ugghhh.

If they want these hybrids to actually sell....they need rugged trucks and sports car models. Even a station wagon for kid and grocery hauling. That's what sells. That's what people want.

When it comes to personal dollars people put performance over any and every environmental concern. Fuel efficiency is a lesser concern unless the vehicle is a gas hog (like a truck) unless fuel costs rise significantly. They want abilities for their vehicle they most likely will only use once or twice....stupid I know but that's people.

What do you mean by performance?

No one really cares if their car can do 0 to 60 in 2 seconds where the hell can you use that in daily driving conditions anyway?

What do you mean by performance?

No one really cares if their car can do 0 to 60 in 2 seconds where the hell can you use that in daily driving conditions anyway?
Yes they do! They generally don't use it but want the ability to if they feel they have need.

It's human nature. Many people want to drive a muscle car...but affording one is a different story. However the suprising sporty feel with only slightly diminished performance to a lesser car with a few luxury features? And now you have a winner.

Forum List

Back