Electric Cars Great....Indoors

Electric cars are an extremely expensive luxury, nothing more. If even half the people in one city owned an electric car it would create a shortage of electricity.

Yet imagine if you got the contract to provide all those charging stations, it would be billions of dollars.
Further, each car would literally need two charging stations, with another one at work, so someone will have to build all those charging stations wherever people work, billions of dollars.

everything that renewables or green energy proposes is backed by Heavy Industry, Chemical Plants, Blast furnaces that use massive amounts of Fossil Fuel.

So what is the source for this new need for electricity? I guess we shut down all Industry, live off the Baby Boomer's wealth by being a medical service economy, and we then can just power electric cars and fantasy.

Yup

And a hundred years ago oil went through those same growing pains. It was a new energy source looking for a use.
But the US Government invested billions in transportation infrastructure that made a car more practical than a horse

Stuck+in+Mud,+Pie+Town,+N_M_,+1940.JPG

Now,now.....are you pretending that you missed the implication that Leftists invest in these failures simply to kick back taxpayer funds to their supporters????

Let's take a trip down memory lane.....

1. “On March 3, 2007 USA Today ran a piece on then-Senator Obama regarding two stocks in his portfolio. Obama was running for President and his critics were stating that the Senator may have been involved in insider trading, cronyism, using his position for personal gain, etc. Basically the media ran this story for a day, and then kissed it goodbye. Could you imagine the outrage if these same set of circumstances involved a Republican running for President?”
Obama the Investor ? Brian Sussman

2. And, from the original AP story: WASHINGTON — Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said Wednesday he was not aware he had invested in two companies backed by some of his top donors and said he had done nothing to aid their business with the government. The Illinois senator faced questions about more than $50,000 in investments he made right after taking office in 2005 in two speculative companies, AVI Biopharma and Skyterra Communications.

3. Obama purchased $5,000 in shares for AVI, which was developing a drug to treat avian flu. Two weeks after buying the stock, as the disease was spreading in Asia, Obama pushed for more federal funding to fight the disease, but he said he did not discuss the matter with any company officials.

4. Obama also had more than $50,000 in shares of Skyterra, a company that had just received federal permission to create a nationwide wireless network that combined satellite and land-based communications systems. Among the company’s top investors were donors who raised more than $150,000 for Obama’s political committees, the New York Times reported Wednesday.

a. 'Skyterra' doesn’t ring a bell? Well, how about under its new name: LightSquared? “Reston-based satellite company SkyTerra Communications Inc. re-emerged July 20 as LightSquared,…”
SkyTerra, now LightSquared, enters the national 4G race - Washington Business Journal

b. “The liberal Daily Beast reports on a broadband project backed by a frequent Obama White House visitor and donor that has Pentagon officials concerned over potential military GPS interference. The Obama FCC took the lead in intervening on the donor, billionaire hedge fund manager Philip Falcone’s, behalf and granting his company called “LightSquared” one of those coveted Obama waivers from existing law. Then Obama officials reportedly pressured a general to alter his testimony about the company’s impact on military satellite transmissions.” Michelle Malkin | » LightSquared: The next Obama pay-for-play morass?

5. Obama said he didn’t invest in a qualified blind trust because it wouldn’t enable him to limit which companies he invested in, such as those in the tobacco industry and other areas that he did not want to support. USATODAY.com - Obama faces questions on his investments

Just another Chicago thug-thief.

Wipe that egg off your face.

PC strikes again...trying to derail her own thread

Is there some reason you believe oil companies are not corrupting our political process?

Has your head been in the sand about what has happened in the last 100 years with Big Oil?

".......trying to derail her own thread."

Get over it.

Just admit I rubbed your face in it, and you have no way to control what I post.

But I do love making you squirm.

Now,now.....are you pretending that you missed the implication that Leftists invest in these failures simply to kick back taxpayer funds to their supporters????

Let's take a trip down memory lane.....

1. “On March 3, 2007 USA Today ran a piece on then-Senator Obama regarding two stocks in his portfolio. Obama was running for President and his critics were stating that the Senator may have been involved in insider trading, cronyism, using his position for personal gain, etc. Basically the media ran this story for a day, and then kissed it goodbye. Could you imagine the outrage if these same set of circumstances involved a Republican running for President?”
Obama the Investor ? Brian Sussman

2. And, from the original AP story: WASHINGTON — Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said Wednesday he was not aware he had invested in two companies backed by some of his top donors and said he had done nothing to aid their business with the government. The Illinois senator faced questions about more than $50,000 in investments he made right after taking office in 2005 in two speculative companies, AVI Biopharma and Skyterra Communications.

3. Obama purchased $5,000 in shares for AVI, which was developing a drug to treat avian flu. Two weeks after buying the stock, as the disease was spreading in Asia, Obama pushed for more federal funding to fight the disease, but he said he did not discuss the matter with any company officials.

4. Obama also had more than $50,000 in shares of Skyterra, a company that had just received federal permission to create a nationwide wireless network that combined satellite and land-based communications systems. Among the company’s top investors were donors who raised more than $150,000 for Obama’s political committees, the New York Times reported Wednesday.

a. 'Skyterra' doesn’t ring a bell? Well, how about under its new name: LightSquared? “Reston-based satellite company SkyTerra Communications Inc. re-emerged July 20 as LightSquared,…”
SkyTerra, now LightSquared, enters the national 4G race - Washington Business Journal

b. “The liberal Daily Beast reports on a broadband project backed by a frequent Obama White House visitor and donor that has Pentagon officials concerned over potential military GPS interference. The Obama FCC took the lead in intervening on the donor, billionaire hedge fund manager Philip Falcone’s, behalf and granting his company called “LightSquared” one of those coveted Obama waivers from existing law. Then Obama officials reportedly pressured a general to alter his testimony about the company’s impact on military satellite transmissions.” Michelle Malkin | » LightSquared: The next Obama pay-for-play morass?

5. Obama said he didn’t invest in a qualified blind trust because it wouldn’t enable him to limit which companies he invested in, such as those in the tobacco industry and other areas that he did not want to support. USATODAY.com - Obama faces questions on his investments

Just another Chicago thug-thief.

Wipe that egg off your face.

Is there some reason you believe oil companies are not corrupting our political process?

Has your head been in the sand about what has happened in the last 100 years with Big Oil?

Get over it.

Just admit I rubbed your face in it, and you have no way to control what I post.

Lets see how you try to derail your own thread

You start a thread on electic cars and divert it to Solar Energy and "Chicago Thugs"

You off your meds today?

Oh, nooooo!

Not more bad news for our Warmist pals!

Environmentalists understand that Electric CARS are in no way a solution to global weirding.

Of course none of us expect YOU to know what environmentalists understand, PC.

Get over it.

You start a thread on electic cars and divert it to Solar Energy and "Chicago Thugs"

You off your meds today?

Great!

Another opportunity to put you in your place!

You posted this: :"....a new energy source looking for a use."

And I definitively showed that Liberals were hardly aiming programs at " a new energy source looking for a use..."

....but were using it as a corrupt way to steal taxpayer funds to give to their donors.

How ya' like that, boyyyyeeeee?

C'mon....you set 'em up....

...I'll knock 'em down.

Get over it.

You off your meds today?

Great!

And I definitively showed that Liberals were hardly aiming programs at " a new energy source looking for a use..."

....but were using it as a corrupt way to steal taxpayer funds to give to their donors.

...I'll knock 'em down.

Maybe this will help you. It is worth a try

Ritalin_Methylphenidat.jpg

Oh, nooooo!

Environmentalists understand that Electric CARS are in no way a solution to global weirding.

Of course none of us expect YOU to know what environmentalists understand, PC.

Time for your tutorial.

1. 'Environmentalism' is simply one more iteration of Marxism.....a way to dictate regulations based on make-believe crises.

a. When the Soviet Union fell, many fellow travelers migrated to the environmental movement. So much so, that the movement is often referred to as the ‘Watermelon Movement”: green on the outside, red on the inside.

b. “Delingpole does an excellent job of cutting through he jargon and presenting the essentials. But where the book really shines is exposing the politics behind this manufactured crisis.” From a review of “Watermelons: The Green Movement's True Colors”

You off your meds today?

Great!

...I'll knock 'em down.

A sign that you have no way to compete.

Take your defeat with grace.

Great!

...I'll knock 'em down.

A sign that you have no way to compete.

Take your defeat with grace.

It seems you hae a difficult time staying focused. Did you squirm a lot as a child?

Yikes...someone should have told me my wonderful commuting experience was supposed to be something else, based on their vast experience of never having owned one.

Are you arguing with me about the efficacy of electric cars, or making excuses for your own gullibility?

I have no argument about efficiency, but those who do not use them apparently don't realize how that has nothing to do with their use in modern America suburbia. And I certainly didn't buy mine based on gullibility but the ABILITY to do something the average american commuter CAN'T...which is avoid the corner extortion stores for months at a time.

And of course if I don't buy liquid fuels, I can spend that money on other stuff. Feel free to spend your money on liquid fuels just to move your body around, but that strikes me as where the gullibility lies.

politicalchic said:
Take up the argument with the scientists and engineers at the AAA.

Why? I don't use liquid fuels....which is the point of the exercise. What are they going to tell me that i don't already know? Are they going to insist I use more liquid fuels? Are they going to insist that I CAN'T do EXACTLY what I have been doing for years now? Do they live in a different dimension where their liquid fuels cost is less than the cost of electrical fuels for my car?

Why exactly would I want to argue with them when my electric is doing exactly what was advertised? And costs less? And I don't have to buy liquid fuels?

You don't like electrics? Don't buy them. But those of us using them and those cars meeting our expectations, hell, we don't need to talk to engineers anywhere. The things just work. Just as they are supposed to.

Perhaps your expectations need recalibrated?

So long as your drive is under a 100 miles you should be fine. I don't drive often, but when I do, my average drive distance is around 380 miles. No electric out there will allow me to drive that distance in a single day. I can drive down to Menlo park, do my thing and drive back home, 19,000 feet in elevation climb and 220 miles one way (440 round trip obviously) all on a single tank of gas, then I can refuel, and drive down to Reno for a nice dinner. An electric would not be ready till the next day.

EV's are great for short range commuting but they are nowhere near as versatile as an ICE vehicle.

"Solyndra Scandal
Key coverage of the investigation into Solyndra, the Silicon Valley startup that collapsed, leaving taxpayers liable for $535 million in federal guarantees ."
Solyndra Scandal | Full Coverage of Failed Solar Startup - The Washington Post

Why do Leftists continue to throw taxpayer funds into the bottomless pit of failure....

...unless it is simply a way to reward their donors....

Yup

And a hundred years ago oil went through those same growing pains. It was a new energy source looking for a use.
But the US Government invested billions in transportation infrastructure that made a car more practical than a horse

Actually, it didn't. Prior to petroleum whale oil, and coal oil were the predominant sources of indoor lighting fuel. Both had enormous problems, not the least of which was the three foot deep cloud of smoke in your home when you were using your lights (why do you think old houses had twelve foot ceilings) and of course the grotesque number of whales being killed for their oil.

Kerosene came along and it was cheaper, cleaner (by far), and easier to use. And, just so you know, petroleum products have been in use for over 2000 years.

Big Oil did not become Big Oil because of indoor lighting.......it was the internal combustion engine

Yup

Actually, it didn't. Prior to petroleum whale oil, and coal oil were the predominant sources of indoor lighting fuel. Both had enormous problems, not the least of which was the three foot deep cloud of smoke in your home when you were using your lights (why do you think old houses had twelve foot ceilings) and of course the grotesque number of whales being killed for their oil.

Kerosene came along and it was cheaper, cleaner (by far), and easier to use. And, just so you know, petroleum products have been in use for over 2000 years.

Big Oil did not become Big Oil because of indoor lighting.......it was the internal combustion engine

Of course it was. The ICE is probably the most significant technological advance that mankind has ever enjoyed. It has allowed more people to travel faster, safer, and with less wear and tear on the body than any other method. It allows us to feed billions of people, move product from point A to point B faster and more efficiently than ever before and finally they have given poor people the most valuable possession they own......time.

Time to do leisurely things like read, watch TV, play with the kids, or just simply relax, once only the purview of the wealthy.

Not to fear, PoliChic
A former GM manager started his own company
(featuring local parts, labor, manufacturing)
Elio Motors: Ultra High Mileage Vehicle

based on a car he designed with 3 wheels
that gets 84 MPG and costs 6800 (where owners
can pay off the car in place of paying more for more fillups)

Oh, nooooo!

Yup.....AAA tested electric cars and found they perform poorly in cold weather......

....and in hot weather......
So.....as long as the temperature is 75 degrees.....you're fine.

Only driving indoors is the answer......

Or......hope for global warming.

or communicating, teleconferencing, and even doing group therapy by internet.
And not having to leave your house at all.

Last edited:
Electric cars are an extremely expensive luxury, nothing more.

When they cost about the same (or in many cases LESS) than the average price for a new car in America…then no…they are no more a luxury than a new ICE powered car. Nothing more.

elektra said:
If even half the people in one city owned an electric car it would create a shortage of electricity.

oh…and no one is going to want to sell more electricity to make more money so they won't ever want to build more power generation infrastructure? Please.

elektra said:
Yet imagine if you got the contract to provide all those charging stations, it would be billions of dollars.

So those of us who own these machines charge them at home. In my case, without a charging station. Where do people get this stuff?

elektra said:
Further, each car would literally need two charging stations, with another one at work, so someone will have to build all those charging stations wherever people work, billions of dollars.

The ones I use at work are already built. And are attached to acres of solar panels as well, so they have built in generation capacity. And that fuel is free. Where do you live that modern amenities aren't available to you, in terms of a garage to charge your car in, or work that doesn't provide charging opportunities as well?

elektra said:
So what is the source for this new need for electricity? I guess we shut down all Industry, live off the Baby Boomer's wealth by being a medical service economy, and we then can just power electric cars and fantasy.

At the office, they use acres of solar panels. And no one had to shut down any industry to make it happen. Where do people get these silly ideas? I waited like a YEAR after the panels went in before they installed the charging stations and began handing out the fuel, people pretending this ongoing transition requires these crazy choices is just…silly.:eusa_hand:

Perhaps your expectations need recalibrated?
So long as your drive is under a 100 miles you should be fine. I don't drive often, but when I do, my average drive distance is around 380 miles. No electric out there will allow me to drive that distance in a single day.

You sound like someone who would not fall into the 75% of Americans who commute less than 40 miles a day then. So electric certainly wouldn't be what fits your needs.

Fortunately, you are in a small minority, and all those other folks who don't drive as far could certainly take advantage of electrics just like I do. Admittedly, an EV may not work as a primary car for most, but as the around town car they work great. None of this "indoor only" nonsense for sure..but as usual, such things are being claimed by folks who have never owned one of these before.

westwall said:
EV's are great for short range commuting but they are nowhere near as versatile as an ICE vehicle.

Range isn't the main priority to those commuting 40 miles or less a day. And certainly, ICE vehicles are versatile. But my EV in terms of OpEx is far lower than the ICE powered machines, and certainly it is a stress reliever when I no longer have to stop in at the "support your local jihadist" store at the corner to pay their extortion money for something so mundane as personal transport.

So an individual buys an all-electric car with a 40-mile (warm weather) range and commutes 30 miles to work. Usually he/she/it will get there. Probably almost always. But how will said "person" get home?

Oh wait, the employer, being a greenie, will provide plug-ins for employees with electric buggies. Free!

Next the union (being a greenie it would be a union shop, wouldn't it?) will demand that employees not using the free plug-ins get a cash payment in the interest of equality.

Then the IRS steps in when the cash-compensated employees report their income and lands with both feet on the ones with the free electricity because it's income. The employer, unless he/she/it (just for PC compliance do I use that) has a damn good accountant the benefit was not assigned a cash value and reported as income.

All the freeloading employees get audited. The employer gets audited. Some of them get to pay fines though probably none get jail time unless they back-talk to the IRS goon squad.

Who wins?

Why the whistle-blowing employee who properly declared and paid tax on the "equality" cash payment! A percentage of all that's collected from those environmentally friendly tax-dodging others.

Good for him! Or Her! Or It.

Another oil ignorant. Standard Oil, the original big oil, acquiring properties and refineries throughout the Middle East of the late 19th century (OH,PA,WV), made kerosene for lighting.

Standard Oil was broken up (1911) 3 years after Henry Ford built the first Model T, but before he cranked up the volume on them. Burton didn't come up with the mass production process of gasoline until AFTER Standard Oil was broken up. In part to feed all those Model T's. The one and only Big Oil was already gone…..come on people…google is your friend even if you never have taken a history course in life to understand these things….

So an individual buys an all-electric car with a 40-mile (warm weather) range and commutes 30 miles to work. Usually he/she/it will get there. Probably almost always. But how will said "person" get home?

In my case, I would plug into the charging station. But let us say my employer doesn't have the free charging available, I would make it 10 miles towards the house and then my gas motor comes on. I find this very distressing, so I concentrate heavily on not letting this happen.

HenryBHough said:
Oh wait, the employer, being a greenie, will provide plug-ins for employees with electric buggies. Free!

Maybe yours won't. Mine does.

I haven't had any of the issues you mention about taxes, unions, or any of those other things. I also shop at Kohl's, in part because they provide charging stations as well. I like to reward those who hand out free fuel to their customers, it is a great fringe benefit, and I like to support forward thinking companies.

In my case, I would plug into the charging station. But let us say my employer doesn't have the free charging available, I would make it 10 miles towards the house and then my gas motor comes on. I find this very distressing, so I concentrate heavily on not letting this happen.

What part of "all-electic" escaped your attention?

I haven't had any of the issues you mention about taxes, unions, or any of those other things. I also shop at Kohl's, in part because they provide charging stations as well. I like to reward those who hand out free fuel to their customers, it is a great fringe benefit, and I like to support forward thinking companies.

Patience on the tax issues. Especially if Obama's minions are monitoring this forum. They never met an opportunity to tax or penalize that they didn't simply adore.

As to Khol's, good for them! A benefit to shoppers like that is not taxable. Well, unless you consider the small percentage it adds to the cost of every item every shopper pays in the store. Then it would be the right of every non-free electricity shopper to demand a discount or to leave stuff in the cart and shop elsewhere.

Not that many will but it wouldn't take a whole lot to catch management's attention.

Forum List

Back