EIA may Have Grossly Misstated Gas Demand

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
Gasoline demand is a very long function [{crude produced domestically - (X-M for crude) x gasoline fraction distilled} adjusted for changes in all inventories across the supply chain to reach gasoline consumed domestically -(X-M for gasoline)

The X-Ms are what complicates the crap out of the above function because crude can be exported for distillation and then end up reimported as gasoline, diesel or what have you.

I was trying to find out how soon proved reserves would hit the market and cause crude prices to crash again. I was trying to find out about what kind of lags would be involved and after following a lot of links on Bloomberg I ran across this Jewel.

To praphrase the conclusion it boiled down to the demand for Gasoline this week will probably have a solid number some time in January 2017. Of more importance all EIA data for US gasoline demand for as far back as Jan will have to be revised downward by a lot. I want to know if anyone else has seen similar analyses because so far I haven't.

Forum List

Back