Egypt's capital tense after religious clashes

Ropey

אחרית הימים
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 5, 2010
egypt-church-fire.jpg

Pitched street battles broke out across the impoverished neighborhood of Imbaba, in the western part of Egypt’s capital, after Salafi Muslims turned out in force to demonstrate outside Saint Menas Church Saturday night.

'Salafists blamed'

"The Salafists are being blamed, but who exactly is responsible is not clear," Al Jazeera's Rawya Rageh, in Cairo, said.

The hardline Muslims were angry over rumors that a Christian woman was being held against her will inside the church because she wanted to convert to Islam and marry a Muslim man. Christians deny the claims.

The Salafis set the front of the church ablaze while Christians were still inside the building, and threw petrol bombs at homes and shops.

"The violence is symptomatic of a bigger problem. In fact, it's about increasing lawlessness in the country since the revolution, and the perception that security forces are being quite lax - not just in dealing with petty crime but with sectarian tension."

Later on Sunday, hundreds of young Christian men ran through central Cairo towards the main state television building calling for the removal of Tantawi, who leads the military council ruling Egypt.

A crowd of Muslim men met them and some sought to calm the Christians' anger but fights broke out and the two groups pelted each other with stones.

egypt-church-fire.jpg

AFP: Egypt sectarian deaths slammed amid civil war fear

I know. Just an isolated incident.

Every year there are less Christians in Egypt.

So thats what it's like when Muslims are the majority of a country

Egyptians will long for the days of Mubarak I am telling you, things are going to get alot worse especially for women and religious minorities in that country, if I were a Christian living in Egypt I would be working on getting the fuck out as soon as possible.

Called it.

From dictatorship to theocracy, muslim theocracy.

this is just the beginning, the religion of peace will keep killing christians and other members of the religion of peace that are not the same kind of muslims they are.

just wait, some tool will be here and say it's a small minority.

Mubarak is going to look like a pussy cat compared to the new religious nuts that take over the Egyptian government.

One look at Yemen, or any other, ANY other ME country not run by a dictator is ruled by a theocracy that does not tolerate other religions. And lets not speak of the people that belong to different tribes. :eusa_shhh:

I'm afraid you guys are nailing it in this thread. So what happens with the Suez Canal when a Muslim Theocracy eventually takes power?

Forum List

Back