Egyptian People's Push For Democracy?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
What a wonderful sentiment, and one all of us can support...in principle.

But the devil is in the details...and I use that phrase advisedly.

For, what, exactly, is the 'democracy' that the Egyptian people wish....and is it really the same thing we Americans mean by 'democracy'?

1. 84 percent of Egyptians favor the death penalty for people who leave the Muslim religion.

2. When asked which side they would take in a struggle between "groups who want to modernize the country [and] Islamic fundamentalists," 59 percent of Egyptians picked the fundamentalists, while 27 percent picked the modernizers.

3. just 32 percent believe in civilian control of the military.

4. 54 percent, support making segregation of men and women in the workplace the law throughout Egypt.

5. When asked whether suicide bombing can ever be justified, 54 percent said yes

6. Eighty-two percent supported stoning for those who commit adultery.

7. 82 percent of Egyptians hold an unfavorable view of the United States. That's higher than in Pakistan, higher than in Jordan, higher than 18 other nations Pew surveyed.
Egypt's conflicting views of democracy and religion | Byron York | Politics | Washington Examiner

8. Hamas receives relatively positive ratings in Jordan (56% favorable) and Egypt (52%).

9. favorable view of Hezbollah, [in] Egypt (43%)
Mixed Views of Hamas and Hezbollah in Largely Muslim Nations - Pew Research Center

10. Eighty two percent of Egyptians support executing adulterers by stoning, 77% support whipping and cutting the hands off thieves. 84% support executing any Muslim who changes his religion.
...the U.S. has failed to identify strategic interests in Egypt— and questions what the next move will be if the Muslim Brotherhood becomes "the power behind the throne of the next regime."
Caroline Glick: U.S. Adopting Harmful Egypt Policy | Neon Tommy

For, what, exactly, is the 'democracy' that the Egyptian people wish....and is it really the same thing we Americans mean by 'democracy'?

1. 84 percent of Egyptians favor the death penalty for people who leave the Muslim religion.

2. When asked which side they would take in a struggle between "groups who want to modernize the country [and] Islamic fundamentalists," 59 percent of Egyptians picked the fundamentalists, while 27 percent picked the modernizers.

4. 54 percent, support making segregation of men and women in the workplace the law throughout Egypt.

5. When asked whether suicide bombing can ever be justified, 54 percent said yes

7. 82 percent of Egyptians hold an unfavorable view of the United States. That's higher than in Pakistan, higher than in Jordan, higher than 18 other nations Pew surveyed.
Egypt's conflicting views of democracy and religion | Byron York | Politics | Washington Examiner

8. Hamas receives relatively positive ratings in Jordan (56% favorable) and Egypt (52%).

Mixed Views of Hamas and Hezbollah in Largely Muslim Nations - Pew Research Center

10. Eighty two percent of Egyptians support executing adulterers by stoning, 77% support whipping and cutting the hands off thieves. 84% support executing any Muslim who changes his religion.
...the U.S. has failed to identify strategic interests in Egypt— and questions what the next move will be if the Muslim Brotherhood becomes "the power behind the throne of the next regime."

The article doesn't state when "last year" and in 09 this survey was taken or the methods of the sample taken.

I suspect that since the events of the last week these opinions of the Egyptian people are radically different. They were not in any position to expect anything different from a 30 year reign of Mubarak and now it seems a new ball game. I'm not saying I have any idea what's going on in Egyptian public opinion as do hardly any of the pundits but before we draw any conclusions the world needs to take a survey of what the people of Egypt feel about their future now taking into account the recent events.

The article doesn't state when "last year" and in 09 this survey was taken or the methods of the sample taken.

I suspect that since the events of the last week these opinions of the Egyptian people are radically different. They were not in any position to expect anything different from a 30 year reign of Mubarak and now it seems a new ball game. I'm not saying I have any idea what's going on in Egyptian public opinion as do hardly any of the pundits but before we draw any conclusions the world needs to take a survey of what the people of Egypt feel about their future now taking into account the recent events.

"...radically different..."

Now, that is funny!

As for "...but before we draw any conclusions the world needs to take a survey of what the people of Egypt feel..."

that is exactly the reason for the OP. Too many folks think 'democracy' means the same thing the world over.

It doesn't ...and I don't believe that we have the competence in the WH to make the decisions that we have been hearing.

But studies such as the Pew research is a beginning.

Forum List

Back