Egyptian Billionaire Naguib Sawiris Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
Egyptian Billionaire Naguib Sawiris Offers To Buy Mediterranean Island For Refugees

Egypt’s 3rd richest man, Telecoms billionaire Naguib Sawiris, has disclosed that he plans to purchase an island off Italy or Greece and develop it to house hundreds of thousands of refuges fleeing from the conflict in Syria.

“Greece or Italy sell me an island, I’ll call its independence and host the migrants and provide jobs for them building their new country,” Sawiris said in a tweet on Tuesday that has since gone viral.

Naguib, who spoke to Agence France Press (AFP) after publishing his tweet, believes his idea is feasible and insists that he is serious about his proposition.

“You have dozens of islands which are deserted and could accommodate hundreds of thousands of refugees,” Sawiris said in an interview to AFP on Thursday.

Outlining his blueprint, Sawiris stated on Twitter that he could build temporary shelters to house the refugees, and then employ the people to build housing, schools, universities and hospitals.

“And if things improve, whoever wants to go back (to their homeland) goes back,” he added. Sawiris promised that if his plan works, the refugees who take refuge in his new country would be treated as “human beings”.

Great Idea, , the refugees, him, and Greece.

A new Palestine off the coast of Greece and Italy, what a deal!

He could put a nick in Greece's debt the trained terrorist could take on the mob in Italy and some problems could be solved there too.

Last edited:

He could put a nick in Greece's debt the trained terrorist could take on the mob in Italy and some problems could be solved there too.

No its not for Palestinians, its for refugees from Syria and Iraq. I imagine he might let Palestinians come as well, then Jews can have all of Israel and be happy and content, right?

No its not for Palestinians, its for refugees from Syria and Iraq. I imagine he might let Palestinians come as well, then Jews can have all of Israel and be happy and content, right?
You will have to get some Israeli Jews in on the conversation to see if they'd go for that. What is his proposal for the Palestinians that do not want to move?

You will have to get some Israeli Jews in on the conversation to see if they'd go for that. What is his proposal for the Palestinians that do not want to move?

I really doubt the Palestinians want to move and leave their homes , I image some might and he may take them if they are good. Its mainly for the refugees, he is a Christian so I do not think he wants Sharia Law but will probably allow freedom of religion on his island. He said he would set up temporary tents, Lebanon and Jordan can't take any more in and Germany has taken in a lot as well. These people need a place to go and rest and have shelter and food. I mean they should do this like today.

I really doubt the Palestinians want to move and leave their homes , I image some might and he may take them if they are good. Its mainly for the refugees, he is a Christian so I do not think he wants Sharia Law but will probably allow freedom of religion on his island. He said he would set up temporary tents, Lebanon and Jordan can't take any more in and Germany has taken in a lot as well. These people need a place to go and rest and have shelter and food. I mean they should do this like today.
It will take a concerted effort by people who truly desire to do something with all that wealth they collected to get this mess straightened up.

That is true, I think Assad is going to hold elections to help settle stuff down and maybe that will help, and some of the Lebanon and Jordan Syria refugees can return. Your right it will take money, but then this guy can like own a country and build a new Dubai. Maybe the same can be done for the Palestinians if they are willing to move, then Israel can have it all. Then all this fighting can end.

I really hope this comes to pass. These people are trying to escape the horrors that have befallen their home nations and they need a safe place to call home. I wish Mr. Sawiris all the best of luck in this endeavor.

It will not happen--for the muslims of the area except perhaps the kurds-----those who imagine it might work for the people who call themselves "Palestinians" have no grasp of the situation It is a logical answer for the Christians----hopefully all that want it---Syrian, Chaldean, Copt ---etc. It would be nice if the Kurds could join-----but that might also be a problem. For the record---the objections will arise from the mosques. Of course another issue is "holy places"------Christians will be obligated to ----FORGET THEM

I like the sound of this.

Probably will never happen though since Europe is bent on destroying itself with refugees who will never assimilate into western cultures.

Forum List

Back