Burqa Wars Erupt on Campus

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by JenT, Jan 13, 2010.

1. JenT

JenT God lead our troops

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +253
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
  2. Ali2

Ali2 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm Muslim and I 100% support the Burqa ban in France and i believe this should be implemented in America as well. I believe people who practice this very severe and extreme form of modesty (hijab) suffer from psychiatric illnesses. The burqa is a symptom of their mental illness and the first step to recovery and good mental health is for the burqa to be taken away from them so that they can stop feeling ashamed of being women !!!! These women hate themselves, they are depressed, they lack confidence and they feel religious fanaticism will cover up their personal failings in life. They need psychiatric help and if the government needs to step in, take their burqas away, to give them a nudge for them to seek help then so be it. I know these women I see them all the time at the Mosque. You talk to them and they feel so worthless, they have a very dreary outlook on life , and they feel their only purpose in life is to be an object for their husbands. To not think for themselves, to not speak for themselves, to be some kind of couch or an object for their husbands to use and then discard. In short they don't feel entitled to the full rights of a human being ! The Burqa promotes this unhealthy view and is apart of this ideollogy. If we can break this cycle by taking one component away from this cycle (the burqa) then they stand a better chance of seeking help !

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I get strange looks everytime I wear a ski mask into my bank.

4. amrchaos

amrchaos Pentheus torn apart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,573

It seems strange--the home of "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite" would dictate which religious clothing is allowed and which is not.

The bottomline is as follows--If those women dislike their religion, they should change religion. Apparently, they do not wish to go against the practice of wearing burqa's. Or maybe they want to wear a Burqa? Their religios practice is their decision, not the French Governments.

The Burqa can stay.

5. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,719
    In this day and age of terrorism, I think any item of clothing that totally prevents a person from being instantly identified should be banned in the general public. How can you be sure a man is not hiding under the burqa and the reason for doing so is a terrorist attack. Sorry. Call it what you will. I think it should be banned.

6. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I'm surprised that EDUCATED women on a college campus would ascribe to such a belittling custom. I can't imagine that too many zealots would even want these women to get a degree. The reality is that safety must trump fashion. And for many of these women, I call bullshit. It's a statement; not a requirement of their faith.

7. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Burka varies from place to place and culture to culture. We have lots of Indonesians who wear the Indonesian version on campus. It makes no problem. But their version just covers the hair and the neck, leaving the face open. Most of them are pretty cute. A burqua can't really hid the facts that woman are wide here, narrow there, and have bumps there. In some ways, it accentuates this, especially when the girl has a good figure.

There really is no good reason for regulating dress except for public safety. Just because you don't like it, is no reason to ban it.

8. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,787
    Why not just ban Muslims from Western countries? That would solve a lot of problems.

9. TheSuaveOne

TheSuaveOne Man without a party

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The only time the government should dictate when someone can or cannot wear it is in a government id photo, or a place in which identifying the woman is required by the police/security. Religous freedom should not be trampled because some people may disagree with the reasons these women choose to there this garb.

-TSO

10. amrchaos

amrchaos Pentheus torn apart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Apparently, the Burqa is not for "Western Eyes". Then again, is anything not pertaining to a Western identity acceptable to the West?