Burqa Wars Erupt on Campus

JenT

God lead our troops
Jul 3, 2009
West of the Rockies
burqa.jpg
Burqa Wars Erupt on Campusby David J. Rusin • Jan 13, 2010 at 11:14 am
Burqa Wars Erupt on Campus :: Islamist Watch

To ban or not to ban? That is the question being asked across the West regarding Islamic veils that cover the face. One of the more active fronts of this battle: college and university campuses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Muslim and I 100% support the Burqa ban in France and i believe this should be implemented in America as well. I believe people who practice this very severe and extreme form of modesty (hijab) suffer from psychiatric illnesses. The burqa is a symptom of their mental illness and the first step to recovery and good mental health is for the burqa to be taken away from them so that they can stop feeling ashamed of being women !!!! These women hate themselves, they are depressed, they lack confidence and they feel religious fanaticism will cover up their personal failings in life. They need psychiatric help and if the government needs to step in, take their burqas away, to give them a nudge for them to seek help then so be it. I know these women I see them all the time at the Mosque. You talk to them and they feel so worthless, they have a very dreary outlook on life , and they feel their only purpose in life is to be an object for their husbands. To not think for themselves, to not speak for themselves, to be some kind of couch or an object for their husbands to use and then discard. In short they don't feel entitled to the full rights of a human being ! The Burqa promotes this unhealthy view and is apart of this ideollogy. If we can break this cycle by taking one component away from this cycle (the burqa) then they stand a better chance of seeking help !

Last edited:
I'm Muslim and I 100% support the Burqa ban in France and i believe this should be implemented in America as well. I believe people who practice this very severe and extreme form of modesty (hijab) suffer from psychiatric illnesses. The burqa is a symptom of their mental illness and the first step to recovery and good mental health is for the burqa to be taken away from them so that they can stop feeling ashamed of being women !!!! These women hate themselves, they are depressed, they lack confidence and they feel religious fanaticism will cover up their personal failings in life. They need psychiatric help and if the government needs to step in, take their burqas away, to give them a nudge for them to seek help then so be it. I know these women I see them all the time at the Mosque. You talk to them and they feel so worthless, they have a very dreary outlook on life , and they feel their only purpose in life is to be an object for their husbands. To not think for themselves, to not speak for themselves, to be some kind of couch or an object for their husbands to use and then discard. In short they don't feel entitled to the full rights of a human being ! The Burqa promotes this unhealthy view and is apart of this ideollogy. If we can break this cycle by taking one component away from this cycle (the burqa) then they stand a better chance of seeking help !

It seems strange--the home of "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite" would dictate which religious clothing is allowed and which is not.

The bottomline is as follows--If those women dislike their religion, they should change religion. Apparently, they do not wish to go against the practice of wearing burqa's. Or maybe they want to wear a Burqa? Their religios practice is their decision, not the French Governments.

The Burqa can stay.

In this day and age of terrorism, I think any item of clothing that totally prevents a person from being instantly identified should be banned in the general public. How can you be sure a man is not hiding under the burqa and the reason for doing so is a terrorist attack. Sorry. Call it what you will. I think it should be banned.

I'm surprised that EDUCATED women on a college campus would ascribe to such a belittling custom. I can't imagine that too many zealots would even want these women to get a degree. The reality is that safety must trump fashion. And for many of these women, I call bullshit. It's a statement; not a requirement of their faith.

Burka varies from place to place and culture to culture. We have lots of Indonesians who wear the Indonesian version on campus. It makes no problem. But their version just covers the hair and the neck, leaving the face open. Most of them are pretty cute. A burqua can't really hid the facts that woman are wide here, narrow there, and have bumps there. In some ways, it accentuates this, especially when the girl has a good figure.

There really is no good reason for regulating dress except for public safety. Just because you don't like it, is no reason to ban it.

Why not just ban Muslims from Western countries? That would solve a lot of problems.

The only time the government should dictate when someone can or cannot wear it is in a government id photo, or a place in which identifying the woman is required by the police/security. Religous freedom should not be trampled because some people may disagree with the reasons these women choose to there this garb.

-TSO

Apparently, the Burqa is not for "Western Eyes". Then again, is anything not pertaining to a Western identity acceptable to the West?

I would think instead of targeting the women, who are subjugated by their religion and the male members of their families (who quite frequently kill them for violating Islamic law) you should be targeting the men.

As posted earlier, it is a "cultural" custom. Not a religious requirement. I still call bullshit and would like to see if these "fanatics" watch reality TV or even pray five times a day. My guess is they like the attention. Or else they are too butt ugly to show their faces. In that case, they should appeal on a disability claim.

In this day and age of terrorism, I think any item of clothing that totally prevents a person from being instantly identified should be banned in the general public. How can you be sure a man is not hiding under the burqa and the reason for doing so is a terrorist attack. Sorry. Call it what you will. I think it should be banned.

You are 100% correct. The burqa has already been used to aid the escape of a terrorist in Britain. Failed bomb plot ringleader Yassin Omar escaped from London wearing the muslim robes. Fortunately the scumbag was subsequently captured, but your point is most valid. There is no place on our streets for women covered completely. Not in this day and age. Furthermore, covering of the face is not religious. It is cultural.

BBC NEWS | UK | Jury sees 21 July 'burka escape'

21/7 bomber's fiancee jailed for helping 'burka escape' - Times Online

I think it would be a difficult ban to enforce since wearing the burkah is a form of religious expression.

Quit lying to the people here Ali2

Kind of odd that your very First post on USMB would follow right after JenT the muslim hater. :doubt:

You are NOT a muslim and I doubt that you go to a mosque.

Most likely, you are an anti-Islamic puke trying to stir up trouble. :evil:

I personally know dozens of women who cover and are happy and well adjusted women.

Several are Doctors, some are Lawyers, a couple are PhD Professers, and many work regular jobs or are house wives.

The only person who needs psychiatric help is you. For posting such idiotic non sense. :cuckoo:

Last edited:
Sunni Man - do these women wear these because they like them or because their husbands force them to? To be perfectly honest, I would not go to a doctor or lawyer whose face was covered. It has nothing to do with religion - a head scarf would be fine - it has to do with being able to see people's eyes when they speak to me. That's my culture.

If Islam required men to wear them too, I would say it had a point, at least in the equality stakes. I can not believe in any God that wants to hide the glorious beauty of the female from me or a God who would hide my glorious visage from the female.

Sorry Allah, no sale here.

The issue I have here is basically this.. The Burka covers the entire body and face.. So?? While we all assume there is a woman under there.. There could be a man or not even a muslim hiding under there with explosives and or weapons..

While I respect their religious beliefs.. I think the safety of the general public is far more important.. Because of the identity issues that a Burka creates, I think it should be banned or at least minimized.. No all covering shrouds.. The face must be exposed.. There are a lot of muslim women in my area that still wear religious clothing, but their face is still exposed..

The Burka should be banned in all public areas including all schools..

I think it would be a difficult ban to enforce since wearing the burkah is a form of religious expression.

No it is not, As has been pointed out it is CULTURAL not religious.

Forum List

Back