efficiency with a german accent

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Report: Volkswagen to produce 260-mpg plug-in XL1 — Autoblog Green

Well, what do you know? When Volkswagen decided to show off the latest version of its so-called one-liter car, the Formula XL1, at the Qatar Motor Show, we wondered out loud whether or not the German automaker would actually manage to put it into production. As it turns out, that's the plan, albeit at a very small scale.

According to Automobilwoche (sub. req'd, via The Truth About Cars), Volkswagen will build 100 XL1s as a small batch of regular production machines... meaning they'll actually be offered for sale to the general populace. No word on what will power the production models, but the concept featured a two-cylinder TDI engine, electric motor, lithium-ion battery pack and a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. All that fuel-sipping goodness is enough to achieve an astonishing 0.9L/100 km – just over 260 mpg.

smart-car-2.jpg

No info on what the production car will be like.

Rocks, did you just fall off a turnip truck? Just because someone promises to make pie in the sky doesn't mean they will.

A solution to a problem that does not exist that creates a bigger problem. Every thing Old Crock proposes is bigger government with more control of our lives.

Old Crock would of been happy living in a Marxist world.

Lithium Shortage from Electric Cars, Hybrid Batteries - Electric Vehicles Lithium - The Daily Green

Yes, the search is on for the perfect battery ap, and for now that means lithium-ion technology. Everyone wants to scale up the lab work to full-scale factory production, and there are signs that even in this straitened economy some money will be available from the strongly sympathetic Obama administration. A123, for instance, has applied for $1.8 billion from the Department of Energy to build a seven-million-square-foot factory in Detroit to supply multiple automakers

Meanwhile, the National Alliance for Advanced Transportation Battery Cell Manufacture, an alliance of a dozen companies, is looking for $2 billion in funding for a similar factory

Speaking of negative reports, Meridian International Research does say in a 2006 report entitled "The Trouble With Lithium" that the world's supply is limited, and concentrated in China, Chile, Argentina and Bolivia. Total world reserves, according to William Tahil, director of research, is just 6.2 million metric tons. "Analysis shows that a world dependent on lithium for its vehicles could soon face even tighter resource constraints than we face today with oil," the report says

smart car only gets 35 mpg. I'd hate to see that thing get hit head on by anything more massive than a bicycle.

I agree. My wife drives a Sienna van and so long as we are not on CA gasoline (where we only get around 27 MPG) we average between 30 and 32 MPG on the freeway. We've gotten as high as 36 MPG on the freeway (most of our travel) the city traffic will drop it down to around 24Mpg. All in a mini van.

Haha, we do it again. Meanwhile your companies can only produce useless 20-feet-pickup-monsters!

The car is not in production so you haven't really done anything yet.

And what's wrong with a truck? You'll have to pry the steering wheel of my pick up from my cold dead hands. I'm not driving around in a fucking tin can no matter how fuel efficient it is.

[youtube]yeMXA5DfJ50&NR[/youtube]

45 seconds in.

Last edited:
We have rolling brown outs in America now----I wonder what would happen if every car in America was plugged into the power grid at the same time.

Haha, we do it again. Meanwhile your companies can only produce useless 20-feet-pickup-monsters!

And what's wrong with a truck? You'll have to pry the steering wheel of my pick up from my cold dead hands. I'm not driving around in a fucking tin can no matter how fuel efficient it is.

It will come soon.

Go aherad with your useless gas burner. This mentality kills your country but anyway, go ahead. Stay in your so-called-"freedom" mental slavery but don´t wonder if america will never come back again and the future is to the smarter countries.

It will come soon.

Go aherad with your useless gas burner. This mentality kills your country but anyway, go ahead. Stay in your so-called-"freedom" mental slavery but don´t wonder if america will never come back again and the future is to the smarter countries.

How much will your electric bill be when everyone is using it to charge up their cars ?

It will come soon.

My truck doesn't run on gasoline. I run a diesel that can burn fuel I make from vegetable oil.

See what happens when you jump to conclusions.

[youtube]yeMXA5DfJ50&NR[/youtube]

45 seconds in.

that movie is fucking awesome.

i am still laughing.

My full sized, long bed, 4x4 2007 Toyota Tundra gets 21 mpg on the freeway, that is carrying 200 lbs of cargo at the same time.

Pretty damn good, you know what I do with my truck that is so useless, I clean up the garbage of Liberal policies. I work for my landlord/freind when someone on Government assistance moves out typically they leave behind tons of garbage, maybe it is one in ten, and it literally is tons, I have made 10 trips to the dump in my truck, pure garbage left by white trash type people, left by black people, left by mexicans. Its amazing what people on Government assistance accumulate and then throw in the garbage.

I plan on taking my kids camping, 4 people at 20 mpg, plus all our gear, that is 80 mpg combined mileage plus the cleaning up of Liberal Policies.

I could most likely haul smart cars to the dump as they will break down in a much shorter time than a car that is not so smart.

smart car only gets 35 mpg. I'd hate to see that thing get hit head on by anything more massive than a bicycle.

theres a vid out there of what happens to a small gay car like the SMART when it crashes into a mid-size mercedes...............

found it...............[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKSPxQjPOm0&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKSPxQjPOm0&feature=related[/ame]

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD:eek:

ps......the little on is the one the k00ks want us all driving!!:lol::lol:

Forum List

Back