Economic question about unemployment benefits

My country is more important than the government spending the earnings of people who are not even born yet in the name of "prosperity."

OH really, then why the fuck do you want tax cuts for the wealthy when it is proven that shit has very little economic return?

You are a cement block head who refuses facts and tries to rewrite history to fiut your poarty view.

IF you cared one fucking bit for this country you would DROP the partisan hackery line and start accepting the advice of the best minds in our country instead.

Your Patriotism isn't what's driving you right now TM. :lol: If your saviors are so smart, so far above us in purpose and reason, as you claim, there would be no problem to repair. Why do their fixes perpetually depend on what other people have that they want? Why don't they just manifest their own fuel and momentum, apart from us, and show us what they mean, using only their own resources and talent? They are so superior, so much more intelligent, what the problem there TM? What's up with that?

So Grasshopper, you presume to think that everyone must reason like you, and that your way is the only correct way. You presume too much grasshopper. I care about truth and Justice TM, I do not live my life looking through somebody else's eye's, just my own. Rather than convict people who think differently than myself, I try to convince through debate and argument, I both listen, see, and speak my piece rationally, at least that is the target, why don't you try doing a 180 and consider that.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

do a 180 huh?

I spent a long time on these internets being nice adn respectable and NEVER calling people names, only appealing to them with facts.

Guess what it got me from the entrenched right?

Insults, lies and a complete inability on their part to accept cold hard documented FACTS.

The very same thing I get now from you hacks.

Take a flying fuck off and respect cold hard evidence and you will get some respect from me.

Until you people accpet the facts given you and stop using partisan hazckery in place of the overwhleming evidence I will call you evey name I can think of.

Supply and demand are the only things that stimulate the economy. There is always demand for food and clothes. By supplying benefits to the unemployed, they are able to purchase those goods instead of being given a little charity at a "food bank".

We have been paying unemployment insurance for our entire working lives. When we are benefiting from that "insurance" program it helps get money moving in the economy.

If Republicans don't like Americans getting "insurance" they paid into for years, then why do they elect leaders who make it easy to move jobs to "China"? Seems kind of self defeating.

You know, if Republicans hadn't invaded Iraq and given out a 2.4 trillion dollar tax break and a 2 to 7 trillion dollar drugs for votes bill, and helped move millions of jobs to China, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

'We' do not pay for unemployment, at least until now. The employers do. Now there's not enough money, so the extensions are being paid for with stimulus or other funds. What happens when those run out-and they will.

My country is more important than the government spending the earnings of people who are not even born yet in the name of "prosperity."

OH really, then why the fuck do you want tax cuts for the wealthy when it is proven that shit has very little economic return?

You are a cement block head who refuses facts and tries to rewrite history to fiut your poarty view.

IF you cared one fucking bit for this country you would DROP the partisan hackery line and start accepting the advice of the best minds in our country instead.

Your Patriotism isn't what's driving you right now TM. :lol: If your saviors are so smart, so far above us in purpose and reason, as you claim, there would be no problem to repair. Why do their fixes perpetually depend on what other people have that they want? Why don't they just manifest their own fuel and momentum, apart from us, and show us what they mean, using only their own resources and talent? They are so superior, so much more intelligent, what the problem there TM? What's up with that?

This doesnt even make sense dude.

Tell me why you refuse the study of a harvard economics proff whos study reaffirms what many other studies have found?

Supply and demand are the only things that stimulate the economy. There is always demand for food and clothes. By supplying benefits to the unemployed, they are able to purchase those goods instead of being given a little charity at a "food bank".

We have been paying unemployment insurance for our entire working lives. When we are benefiting from that "insurance" program it helps get money moving in the economy.

If Republicans don't like Americans getting "insurance" they paid into for years, then why do they elect leaders who make it easy to move jobs to "China"? Seems kind of self defeating.

You know, if Republicans hadn't invaded Iraq and given out a 2.4 trillion dollar tax break and a 2 to 7 trillion dollar drugs for votes bill, and helped move millions of jobs to China, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

So you are really arguing about self esteem. That is a factor, but at what expense? Being humble is good. One has less of a distance to fall when the shit hits the fan. Unemployment does eventually run out. You either find work, or move and find work. That's always been the deal. I don't even qualify for unemployment, yet I have to pay taxes and support it. That's not fair. I'm not complaining about the unfairness, I just accept it. You are still blaming Bush. Grow up Dean. You wish Obama could handle an attack like what Bush handled on 9/11. He can't. Nor will he be able to handle high oil. You have your scape goat though, don't ya?

Starvation, malnuitrition and other aspects of poverty are a health and wealth hazard that impose a heavy implicit tax on everyone. For example North America has the largest reservoir of bubonic plague carrying rodents in the world but the rare human cases are still national news. Good sanitation and public health pretty much stops plague cold. So pest and microbe control pays huge dividends.

To go with one example plague purportedly entered the US from a boat landing in San Francisco in the late 1800s and it is spreading east. New Mexico is the last hotspot I recall with less than 10 total cases and most victims survived. What was not reported but undoubtedly happened is that public health and sanitation went mildly ape cleaning up rat infestations and rat attractants. No news of plague cases in years means that they really tightened up. The big bugaboo is what will happen when plague reaches the St. Louis-Chicago metropolis. My guess is fewer than 100 infections and less than 10 dead but a sanitation bill that will be eyepopping. The dead and dying are microbe breeding grounds, likewise the hungry. Keeping the poor in reasonably good health pays dividends.
YEP. Communicable diseases kill the wealthy as well as the poor. The cleanup of London in the 18th and 19th century was more about protecting the growing middle class and the upper class than it was about helping the poor.

Health conditions are not the only concern with the grow of poverty. While 14% of Americans live in poverty, the poor account for 53% of prison population. As poverty grows, so does crime.

The American middle class is the heart of our democracy. As the lower middle class slips into poverty and the upper middle class joints the rich, the extinction of the middle class is a real possibility. As the middle class shrinks so will our freedoms.

Job growth under Bush was worst since WWII | Jacksonville Business Journal

President George W. Bush will leave office Tuesday with the worst employment-growth record of any president since World War II, according to a new analysis by Bizjournals.

The nation’s job base grew at an annual rate of 0.28 percent during Bush’s eight years as president – by far the slowest pace for any of the 11 presidents in the postwar era, according to Bizjournals.

George W. Bush’s span ran from December 2000, when nonfarm employment totaled 132.5 million, to December 2008, when it reached 135.5 million. (that comes out to about three million. Remember, when Bush left office, we were still under his budget for 8 more months and the US was losing jobs at the rate of 750,000 a month. That job loss is unfairly counted as part of Obama's administration even though the budget and policies were all Bush).

The administration with the strongest growth rate since World War II was that of Lyndon Johnson, who served between November 1963 and January 1969. Employment increased at an annual pace of 3.74 percent during that period.

Total employment
1. Lyndon Johnson (1963-69), 3.74%
2. Jimmy Carter (1977-81), 3.11%
3. Bill Clinton (1993-2001), 2.42%
4. Harry Truman (1945-53), 2.38%
5. Richard Nixon (1969-74), 2.30%
6. John Kennedy (1961-63), 2.28%
7. Ronald Reagan (1981-89), 2.04%
8. Gerald Ford (1974-77), 0.95%
9. Dwight Eisenhower (1953-61), 0.87%
10. George H.W. Bush (1989-93), 0.59%
11. George W. Bush (2001-09), 0.28%

This comes from the Jacksonville Business Journal, hardly a "liberal rag".

Oh, look, after 9/11, uneployment went down untiil 2007.

unemp89to08sm.gif

Job growth under Bush was worst since WWII | Jacksonville Business Journal

President George W. Bush will leave office Tuesday with the worst employment-growth record of any president since World War II, according to a new analysis by Bizjournals.

The nation’s job base grew at an annual rate of 0.28 percent during Bush’s eight years as president – by far the slowest pace for any of the 11 presidents in the postwar era, according to Bizjournals.

George W. Bush’s span ran from December 2000, when nonfarm employment totaled 132.5 million, to December 2008, when it reached 135.5 million. (that comes out to about three million. Remember, when Bush left office, we were still under his budget for 8 more months and the US was losing jobs at the rate of 750,000 a month. That job loss is unfairly counted as part of Obama's administration even though the budget and policies were all Bush).

The administration with the strongest growth rate since World War II was that of Lyndon Johnson, who served between November 1963 and January 1969. Employment increased at an annual pace of 3.74 percent during that period.

Total employment
1. Lyndon Johnson (1963-69), 3.74%
2. Jimmy Carter (1977-81), 3.11%
3. Bill Clinton (1993-2001), 2.42%
4. Harry Truman (1945-53), 2.38%
5. Richard Nixon (1969-74), 2.30%
6. John Kennedy (1961-63), 2.28%
7. Ronald Reagan (1981-89), 2.04%
8. Gerald Ford (1974-77), 0.95%
9. Dwight Eisenhower (1953-61), 0.87%
10. George H.W. Bush (1989-93), 0.59%
11. George W. Bush (2001-09), 0.28%

This comes from the Jacksonville Business Journal, hardly a "liberal rag".

Weren't we spending allot carpet bombing back then?

This doesnt even make sense dude.

Tell me why you refuse the study of a harvard economics proff whos study reaffirms what many other studies have found?

It's you that don't make sense Ravi. Why should I accept what they claim. Where is the working model??? It's bullshit Ravi.
I doubt a single one of your scholars know how to keep a business in the green. The premise of your argument is false. By increasing unemployment benefits you make it more expensive for businesses to hire, you increase the shelf price of every item and service. You retard and restrict the flow of commerce. You may be impressed by position and title, but I have learned better. The more they do to fix things, the worse it is getting.

Starvation, malnuitrition and other aspects of poverty are a health and wealth hazard that impose a heavy implicit tax on everyone. For example North America has the largest reservoir of bubonic plague carrying rodents in the world but the rare human cases are still national news. Good sanitation and public health pretty much stops plague cold. So pest and microbe control pays huge dividends.

To go with one example plague purportedly entered the US from a boat landing in San Francisco in the late 1800s and it is spreading east. New Mexico is the last hotspot I recall with less than 10 total cases and most victims survived. What was not reported but undoubtedly happened is that public health and sanitation went mildly ape cleaning up rat infestations and rat attractants. No news of plague cases in years means that they really tightened up. The big bugaboo is what will happen when plague reaches the St. Louis-Chicago metropolis. My guess is fewer than 100 infections and less than 10 dead but a sanitation bill that will be eyepopping. The dead and dying are microbe breeding grounds, likewise the hungry. Keeping the poor in reasonably good health pays dividends.
YEP. Communicable diseases kill the wealthy as well as the poor. The cleanup of London in the 18th and 19th century was more about protecting the growing middle class and the upper class than it was about helping the poor.

Health conditions are not the only concern with the grow of poverty. While 14% of Americans live in poverty, the poor account for 53% of prison population. As poverty grows, so does crime.

The American middle class is the heart of our democracy. As the lower middle class slips into poverty and the upper middle class joints the rich, the extinction of the middle class is a real possibility. As the middle class shrinks so will our freedoms.

How many of those poor have internet access, Cable Digital TV, Cell Phones, Air conditioners???

Hi all, I just have a quick question.

A lot of people have been saying that unemployment benefits help stimulate the economy. Mark Zandi, Chief Economist of Moody's, has gone on record as saying that $1.00 spent on food stamps actually adds $1.73 to GDP. As far as I can tell from what I've read, the claim that unemployment benefits and food stamps adds to the GDP is uncontroversial.

My question is where does that extra wealth come from? How does government spending, targeted toward the unemployed, actually create this extra $0.73?

Thanks in advance.

It doesn't. Economic history shows that every dollar of government spending results in far less than a dollar of economic activity. Food stamps just accelerate some consumption via transfer payments and lessen future spending.

Only idiot hacks who care more about party and failed ideas than they do country and countrymen believe that somehow if you give rich people a tax cut they will ruszh out to creat jobs for which there is no demand and lose their asses in the process.

Create jobs for which there is no demand?

The context of that statement infers there is no demand for jobs.

Either you're a moron, or you're a moron. Which is it?

Here it is again. Looks like the middle class is being knifed for the sake of the dependency class.

These are all government programs.

Money%20Earned.jpg

No wonder you didn't put a link to your chart. I wondered where you got it from:

zero hedge | on a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero

That has to be one of the creepiest sites I have ever visited. Now I understand you a lot better.

Check this out:

The Definitive Guide To China - Must Read | zero hedge

Check out page 28.

The references to "Central Planning". The lack of paying back loans. Russia had the same problem. They relied on "central planning", as all communist governments do and it ruined their economy. Only in Russia, they didn't make their population work 60 to 70 hours a week at 51 cents an hour. This is going to be a problem for China.

Can you imagine the Chinese going on strike and the government nationalizing it's "foreign" industries? Everyone would lose everything.

Check this out:

How To [Read/Tip Off] Zero Hedge Without Attracting The Interest Of [Human Resources/The Treasury/Black Helicopters] | zero hedge

How To [Read/Tip Off] Zero Hedge Without Attracting The Interest Of [Human Resources/The Treasury/Black Helicopters]

1. Don't email us directly from work.

2. Use encrypted webmail.

3. Consider not using any of your employer's resources when contacting us (or your lawyer for that matter).

4. Use robust end-to-end encryption.

5. Use proxies.

6. Consider a secure chat client.

-------------------------------------------

And this is where you got your "chart" from. Sounds "truthful and honest".

Oh, look, after 9/11, uneployment went down untiil 2007.

unemp89to08sm.gif

Now this chart you got from an even more hilarious site. Check this out:

Health care for morons

Hey you!

Yeah, you! The teabagger who’s screaming at the top of your pasty little lungs about “repealing Obamacare”!

This is the world you want us all to live in:

Alisa Wilson, 37, died Friday at 8:50 p.m. after a lengthy battle with an undisclosed liver disease, said her father, Eric Wilson.

“Her liver was gone,” Wilson said. “There was no more left. She needed that transplant two weeks ago.”

In her final days, the Wilsons desperately reached out to the media and health-law attorneys to get her approved for a transplant.

Over the summer, she was turned down several times by her insurer, a Medicaid reform HMO run by Sunshine State Health.

The family switched her to traditional “fee-for-service” Medicaid because the local transplant center at Mayo Clinic Florida doesn’t typically accept Medicaid HMOs.

Like many Medicaid recipients in Duval County, Wilson was required to join a private plan as part of a Gov. Jeb Bush-era experimental overhaul of the program.

(emphasis mine)

Yeah, asshole. That’s what you are trying to do to the rest of us: condemn us all to live in a world where private insurers — for-profit corporations — decide whether we get life-saving transplants and other medical procedures.

Be careful what you wish for, morons.

ThinkingMeat It's meat! And it thinks!

=================

What else you got? Cuz these are great!

You guys seem to think that you are more competant than harvard economists to determine economic reality.The jobs created by the need when these funds are spent ar not pretend jobs, they are real and the people doing them pay taxes and ALSO spend their incomes stimulating even more.

Jesus people quit being so fucking mind numbingly stupid and partisan.

YOUR COUNTRY IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR FUCKING PARTY

What I think is that rich people have a demonstrated ability to make money by finding good investemnts. If food stamps made the return on the dollar that Harvard economists said they do they would be lined up to invest in them. If the government wouldn't let them get in they would set up competing companies to do the job better, and make even more money. (Think USPS and UPS if you want examples.)

How many of those Harvard economists are rich?

Forum List

Back