Ebola, the most deadly virus on the planet (no cure), outbreak in West Africa

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
In West Africa, Officials Target Ignorance And Fear Over Ebola : Parallels : NPR

There's growing concern in West Africa about the spread of the Ebola virus that has killed hundreds of people. Health ministers have formed a regional response, but fear and a lack of knowledge about Ebola threaten their efforts.

Liberian musicians are joining the campaign, taking to song to educate people about the Ebola virus. Their tune is called "Ebola in Town," and warns people to beware of close contact with those who fall ill. The song warns, "Don't touch your friend."

Since the outbreak was first detected in Guinea in February, the U.N.'s World Health Organization has reported more than 500 deaths there as well as neighboring Sierra Leone and Liberia.

Almost 850 cases have been recorded to date.

Ebola is highly contagious through contact with bodily fluids like blood, vomit or saliva. And it's generally fatal. But there is a chance for survival if infected people can get medical attention.

West African government health officials have agreed to a coordinated strategy, aware that a contagious disease will cross borders as people travel for commerce or work. But their effort is hampered by fear and ignorance about the disease.

For example, families sometimes hide relatives with Ebola rather than take them for treatment. They fear the panic and ostracism that the disease may provoke from others nearby.

That's why Liberia's President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf is warning her country that anyone caught hiding suspected Ebola patients will be prosecuted.

"Here, we're talking about a deadly disease — a disease that can kill people. And we're obliged to also protect the lives of people," Sirleaf said. "There's a law that says they must do that. And if they don't, then there are penalties."

Sierra Leone's president delivered a similar warning. Ernest Bai Koroma had been criticized for failing to speak out publicly about the Ebola outbreak in his country. He promised that more would be done to protect those trying to help curb the virus. Medical workers in masks and protective suits often draw suspicion and fear from locals.

-----------------------------------------------------

90% death rate when ebola is contracted.

In West Africa, Officials Target Ignorance And Fear Over Ebola : Parallels : NPR

There's growing concern in West Africa about the spread of the Ebola virus that has killed hundreds of people. Health ministers have formed a regional response, but fear and a lack of knowledge about Ebola threaten their efforts.

Liberian musicians are joining the campaign, taking to song to educate people about the Ebola virus. Their tune is called "Ebola in Town," and warns people to beware of close contact with those who fall ill. The song warns, "Don't touch your friend."

Since the outbreak was first detected in Guinea in February, the U.N.'s World Health Organization has reported more than 500 deaths there as well as neighboring Sierra Leone and Liberia.

Ebola is highly contagious through contact with bodily fluids like blood, vomit or saliva. And it's generally fatal. But there is a chance for survival if infected people can get medical attention.

West African government health officials have agreed to a coordinated strategy, aware that a contagious disease will cross borders as people travel for commerce or work. But their effort is hampered by fear and ignorance about the disease.

For example, families sometimes hide relatives with Ebola rather than take them for treatment. They fear the panic and ostracism that the disease may provoke from others nearby.

That's why Liberia's President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf is warning her country that anyone caught hiding suspected Ebola patients will be prosecuted.

"Here, we're talking about a deadly disease — a disease that can kill people. And we're obliged to also protect the lives of people," Sirleaf said. "There's a law that says they must do that. And if they don't, then there are penalties."

Sierra Leone's president delivered a similar warning. Ernest Bai Koroma had been criticized for failing to speak out publicly about the Ebola outbreak in his country. He promised that more would be done to protect those trying to help curb the virus. Medical workers in masks and protective suits often draw suspicion and fear from locals.

Two strains, Ebola Zaire and Sudan; the strain from Sudan has "only" a 50% mortality rate. Both are nightmares.

Ebola, the most deadly virus on the planet (no cure)
I'll take rabies for $500 Alex.

Ebola isn't funny, originated in animals, when the forests were "removed", aninals with no habitat spread it to humans.

The mild form has a 50% death rate, the more virulent, 90%. Very few humans have natural immunity. Ebola could repeat the the influenza outbreak of the early 20th century. Thus far, airborne transmissions occurred only a laboratory, in Weston, Virgina. Ebola mutates however.

Ebola, the most deadly virus on the planet (no cure)
I'll take rabies for $500 Alex.

Ebola isn't funny, originated in animals, when the forests were "removed", aninals with no habitat spread it to humans.

The mild form has a 50% death rate, the more virulent, 90%. Very few humans have natural immunity. Ebola could repeat the the influenza outbreak of the early 20th century. Thus far, airborne transmissions occurred only a laboratory, in Weston, Virgina. Ebola mutates however.

Time for normal people and people of normal countries to stay the Hell out of Africa.

Thanks for regurgitating all that info, if you'd like to know more I'd recommend you read the book "The Hot Zone" which covers both Ebola and the very similar hemorrhagic fever Marburg.

Also = it is Ebola Reston, not Weston, and all viruses mutate.

Also = there is no evidence that loss of habitat led to the initial appearance of Ebola in the rural village of Yambuku. The index case was originally mistreated as malaria, infection could have come from a pig, could have been a fruit bat, could have been a primate, nobody knows since he died and nobody interviewed him about pre-transmission behavior.

Either way, I disagree with the claim it is the deadliest virus in the world. What would you rather show up at the hospital with symptoms of, rabies or Ebola? A reasonable percentage of people survive Ebola despite often primitive medical treatment whereas if you're diagnosed with rabies you're pretty well fucked, despite that one girl who survived you're best move would be to start saying goodbye to relatives while you're still coherent enough to do so.

Ebola isn't funny

A man returns from Africa feeling very ill. He visits his doctor, who immediately rushes the guy to the intensive care unit at the local hospital. The man wakes up to the ringing of a telephone and answers it. “We’ve received the results from your tests,” says the doctor on the other end of the line. “Bad news—you have Ebola.” “Oh, my God,” cries the man. “Doc! What am I going to do?” “Don’t worry. First, we’re going to put you on a diet of pizza, pancakes, and pita bread,” says the doctor. “Will that cure me?” “No, but it’s the only food we’ll be able to get under the door.”

- the internet

Thanks for regurgitating all that info, if you'd like to know more I'd recommend you read the book "The Hot Zone" which covers both Ebola and the very similar hemorrhagic fever Marburg.

Also = it is Ebola Reston, not Weston, and all viruses mutate.

Also = there is no evidence that loss of habitat led to the initial appearance of Ebola in the rural village of Yambuku. The index case was originally mistreated as malaria, infection could have come from a pig, could have been a fruit bat, could have been a primate, nobody knows since he died and nobody interviewed him about pre-transmission behavior.

Either way, I disagree with the claim it is the deadliest virus in the world. What would you rather show up at the hospital with symptoms of, rabies or Ebola? A reasonable percentage of people survive Ebola despite often primitive medical treatment whereas if you're diagnosed with rabies you're pretty well fucked, despite that one girl who survived you're best move would be to start saying goodbye to relatives while you're still coherent enough to do so.

There is a vaccine for rabies, if given soon enough after infection, greatly increases the chances for survival.

Modern day prophylaxis has proven nearly 100% successful.

CDC - Rabies in the U.S. - Rabies

No vaccine for Ebola.

There is a vaccine for rabies, if given soon enough after infection, greatly increases the chances for survival.
Yup, but if you are in a hospital because you are sick from rabies you are done. Almost 100% fatal. Tens of thousands of people die from rabies every year.

Which would you rather be diagnosed with? Rabies or Ebola?

I'd take my chances with Ebola any day.

Yup, but if you are in a hospital because you are sick from rabies you are done. Almost 100% fatal. Tens of thousands of people die from rabies every year.

Which would you rather be diagnosed with? Rabies or Ebola?

I'd take my chances with Ebola any day.

Probably rabies, rabies treatment is provided in hospitals, those infected, and treated quickly, get sick but have a higher survival rate, or so I have read. Ebola spreads fast, also. With rabies I would not kill those around me. So i die but do not begin an epidemic.

Probably rabies, rabies treatment is provided in hospitals, those infected, and treated quickly, get sick but have a higher survival rate, or so I have read.
Where on earth did you read this? If you get sick from rabies you are going to die. The exceptions to this can be counted on one hand.

Ebola spreads fast, also. With rabies I would not kill those around me. So i die but do not begin an epidemic.
Ebola isn't a very aggressive spread. Flu spreads fast, something like Ebola that kills fast and requires contact with fluid isn't a fast spreading disease. It is amplified in Africa because of their treatment of the dead.

CDC:

For people who have never been vaccinated against rabies previously, postexposure anti-rabies vaccination should always include administration of both passive antibody and vaccine.
The combination of human rabies immune globulin (HRIG) and vaccine is recommended for both bite and nonbite exposures, regardless of the interval between exposure and initiation of treatment.
People who have been previously vaccinated or are receiving preexposure vaccination for rabies should receive only vaccine.
Adverse reactions to rabies vaccine and immune globulin are not common. Newer vaccines in use today cause fewer adverse reactions than previously available vaccines. Mild, local reactions to the rabies vaccine, such as pain, redness, swelling, or itching at the injection site, have been reported. Rarely, symptoms such as headache, nausea, abdominal pain, muscle aches, and dizziness have been reported. Local pain and low-grade fever may follow injection of rabies immune globulin.
The vaccine should be given at recommended intervals for best results. Talk to your with your doctor or state or local public health officials if you will not be able to have shot at the recommended interval. Rabies prevention is a serious matter and changes should not be made in the schedule of doses.
People cannot transmit rabies to other people unless they themselves are sick with rabies. The prophylaxis you are receiving will protect you from developing rabies, and therefore you cannot expose other people to rabies. You should continue to participate in your normal activities.

Yes, Ebola did spread by contact with dead bodies, but airborne strains are now likely:

Transmission of Ebola virus from pigs to non-human primates : Scientific Reports : Nature Publishing Group

Peach, I understand there is a post-exposure vaccination for rabies. However if you sick with rabies (sick = symptoms) you are going to die. If you are sick with Ebola you have a chance. Anyone who would choose to be sick with rabies over Ebola is a moron.

And Ebola is a contact transmission disease, it has potential to mutate just like any other virus but that doesn't change what it is right now and it doesn't validate your claim it is a fast spreader. In the past it has gotten into huge heavily populated cities (Kinshasa) and petered out which isn't a characteristic of an aggressive spreading disease.

EVD is believed to occur after an ebola virus is transmitted to a human index case via contact with an infected animal host. Human-to-human transmission occurs via direct contact with blood or bodily fluids from an infected person (including embalming of an infected dead person) or by contact with contaminated medical equipment such as needles. In the past, explosive nosocomial transmission has occurred in under-equipped African hospitals due to the reuse of needles and lack of implementation of universal precautions. Aerosol transmission has not been observed during natural EVD outbreaks. The potential for widespread EVD epidemics is considered low due to the high case-fatality rate, the rapidity of demise of patients, and the often remote areas where infections occur.

Everything that can be done, should be done to render assistance when disease outbreaks occur no matter where. Writing off people in countries we may not agree with politically or culturally is unfair to the innocent people afflicted. We're all one people, on one planet. Writing people off 'over there' is like saying the cancer in your anus isn't worth treating because it's your anus. Still gonna kill ya no matter where it's located. Outbreaks around the world are still worthy of treating by those who can since what effects one, effects us all.

Peach, I understand there is a post-exposure vaccination for rabies. However if you sick with rabies (sick = symptoms) you are going to die. If you are sick with Ebola you have a chance. Anyone who would choose to be sick with rabies over Ebola is a moron.

And Ebola is a contact transmission disease, it has potential to mutate just like any other virus but that doesn't change what it is right now and it doesn't validate your claim it is a fast spreader. In the past it has gotten into huge heavily populated cities (Kinshasa) and petered out which isn't a characteristic of an aggressive spreading disease.

EVD is believed to occur after an ebola virus is transmitted to a human index case via contact with an infected animal host. Human-to-human transmission occurs via direct contact with blood or bodily fluids from an infected person (including embalming of an infected dead person) or by contact with contaminated medical equipment such as needles. In the past, explosive nosocomial transmission has occurred in under-equipped African hospitals due to the reuse of needles and lack of implementation of universal precautions. Aerosol transmission has not been observed during natural EVD outbreaks. The potential for widespread EVD epidemics is considered low due to the high case-fatality rate, the rapidity of demise of patients, and the often remote areas where infections occur.

I would not want either, but more is known about rabies than Ebola:
RealClearScience - Interspecies Airborne Transmission of Ebola

I would not want either, but more is known about rabies than Ebola:
And what is known includes the fact that if you are sick with rabies you are going to die, but with Ebola you have a chance.

You'd rather be sick with rabies, which makes zero sense.

Forum List

Back