Ebike fires

Well........DUH!!!!!

You supposed to RIDE THEM.............not SMOKE THEM!!!!!

headache-migraine.gif

When I built my e-bike I designed and built my own battery management system and battery packs. Damn near all of those things on the market are cheap-ass Chinese crap that I would not trust charging inside my home.

So I made my own. And I'm working on a patent for my BMS design.

When I built my e-bike I rode it into the deep end of my pool, which is 12 feet deep, and left it down there for about 4 hours. And it still worked fine. That's my version of quality control.

Battery technology is always improving, but fires can be a problem. There are companies all over the world working on battery technology, increasing range and decreasing charge times, and someone will crack the code and ultimately make a solid state, rechargeable battery that poses no fire hazard. It's coming soon.

Its a scooter then.
Mopeds and scooters have motors, gas or otherwise.

If you have to pedal it, then it's a bike.

An electric bike. The original Mopeds were gasoline-powered, but they also had pedals, which you could use to get up enough speed to start the motor.

eBikes just run on electricity, until the battery dies. Then you pedal.

An electric bike. The original Mopeds were gasoline-powered, but they also had pedals, which you could use to get up enough speed to start the motor.

eBikes just run on electricity, until the battery dies. Then you pedal.
FYI: Most states here have adopted a 3 class system for low powered eBikes.

Class 1: Pedal assisted. The electric motor can only kick on in when you are pedaling. If you stop pedaling or apply the brakes the motor automatically turns off. And they need a control unit that turns off the motor assist once you reach a speed of 20 MPH too. And a class 1 does not have a throttle.

Class 2: A class 2 also automatically shuts off the motor when you reach 20 MPH or apply the brakes. A class 2 Ebike has pedals and a throttle. This means that you don't have to pedal if you don't want to. You can use pedal assist mode or just a throttle mode.

Class 3: A class 3 eBike does not have a throttle. Like a class 1, it only has pedal assist. You have to be pedaling for the motor to turn on. The main difference between a class 1 and a class 3 is that a class 1 eBike's motor turns off when you get to 20 MPH, but a class 3 eBike's motor will keep working until you get up to 28 MPH.

Battery technology is always improving, but fires can be a problem. There are companies all over the world working on battery technology, increasing range and decreasing charge times, and someone will crack the code and ultimately make a solid state, rechargeable battery that poses no fire hazard. It's coming soon.
It seems to me that a simple temperature sensitive relay that cuts power to the battery when it exceeds a certain temperature, well below ignition temp, would solve the problem quite cheaply. No power equals no electrical fire caused by overheating during the charge cycle.

In the city close to where I live they have electric scooters one can rent.

Ny thinking of banning them in public housing due to all the fires..... what are they going to do when everyone has an electric car
Ha I was told by an extremly racist progressive on one of my ebike fire threads that the West has much higher standards

Saving the world with lithium? Four times a week an e-bike battery catches fire in New York​

More deadly than man-made climate change​

Six people have died in New York this year so far due to house fires started by e-bikes. I had no idea.

Fires from exploding e-bike batteries multiply in NYC — sometimes fatally

Matthew Schuerman, NPR
NEW YORK — Four times a week on average, an e-bike or e-scooter battery catches fire in New York City.
These bikes when they fail, they fail like a blowtorch,” said Dan Flynn, the chief fire marshal at the New York Fire Department. “We’ve seen incidents where people have described them as explosive — incidents where they actually have so much power, they’re actually blowing walls down in between rooms and apartments.”
As of Friday, the FDNY investigated 174 battery fires, putting 2022 on track to double the number of fires that occurred last year (104) and quadruple the number from 2020 (44). So far this year, six people have died in e-bike-related fires and 93 people were injured, up from four deaths and 79 injuries last year.
In early August, a 27-year-old Venezuelan immigrant, identified as Rafael Elias Lopez-Centeno, died after his lithium ion battery caught fire and ripped through the Bronx apartment where he was staying. Carmen Tiburcio, a neighbor, said Lopez’s aunt told her he had tried to escape through the front door, but the bike was in the way. Instead, he took refuge in the bathroom, where he tried to fill up the bathtub with water to protect himself from the flames. But the smoke got to him, she said.
Isn’t it time we talked about the risks of lithium batteries?

Four fires in one day in NY in June.​

Fires are the least of the problem. Affordability is top of the list. The large town where I live, we said when the only eBike shop opened, "How long will they last?". I'm going to be generous here, I think it was a year.

eBikes are a fad.

Forum List

Back