Eating meat is healthier than going vegan: The provocative message in a book which argues much of the so-called evidence supporting a plant-based diet

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Jayne Buxton’s son was recently working in a Central London delicatessen. A customer who had ordered a coconut-milk latte announced that she used to be a vegan. ‘It was the best diet,’ she said. ‘I felt so great on it.’

Buxton’s son asked why she was no longer vegan. ‘Oh, well my hair and nails started to fall out,’ came the reply, ‘so I had to stop.’ He asked whether this might be a sign that the diet wasn’t particularly healthy after all. ‘Oh no,’ insisted the woman. ‘It’s a really, really healthy diet. I felt incredible.’

As an example of the level at which much of the debate on this subject is conducted, it’s hard to beat. Extremes rule, and nuance can sling its hook.

Jayne Buxton’s son was recently working in a Central London delicatessen. A customer who had ordered a coconut-milk latte announced that she used to be a vegan. ‘It was the best diet,’ she said. ‘I felt so great on it.’

Buxton’s son asked why she was no longer vegan. ‘Oh, well my hair and nails started to fall out,’ came the reply, ‘so I had to stop.’ He asked whether this might be a sign that the diet wasn’t particularly healthy after all. ‘Oh no,’ insisted the woman. ‘It’s a really, really healthy diet. I felt incredible.’

As an example of the level at which much of the debate on this subject is conducted, it’s hard to beat. Extremes rule, and nuance can sling its hook.

A good friend of mine from childhood died of a massive coronary at 41. Vegetarian as hell. His arteries had become so sclerotic that morticians had a difficult time embalming the body

"Those that worry about their health excessively die younger".....Sloopy

I have tried both KETO, and Vegan diets (lacto ovo).

I didn't mind either as I felt/feel good on both.

However, I can maintain a KETO diet much much longer than vegan.

Not consuming carbs just works perfectly for me.

I am back down to the weight I held at 25.

The carbs in vegetables are nothing like the carbs in white bread, pasta and other processed foods.

When you remove all the natural fiber you transform plant based carbohydrates into junk food.

There is more than enough evidence that whole food plant based diets not only prevent but can reverse heart diseases which is still the number one killer of humans

The carbs in vegetables are nothing like the carbs in white bread, pasta and other processed foods.

When you remove all the natural fiber you transform plant based carbohydrates into junk food.

There is more than enough evidence that whole food plant based diets not only prevent but can reverse heart diseases which is still the number one killer of humans
Yeah, absolutely.

I still try to hold total carbs to under 50 grams per day.

As for bread, pasta, sugar, anything processed...none of it.

I allow myself to cheat once per week.

I will have some Bordeaux on a Friday or Saturday evening.

• Banned

Did you read the whole article?:cool-45:

Yeah, absolutely.

I still try to hold total carbs to under 50 grams per day.

As for bread, pasta, sugar, anything processed...none of it.

I allow myself to cheat once per week.

I will have some Bordeaux on a Friday or Saturday evening.
My diet is quite high in carbs but they are all whole plant food carbs with lots of fiber.

People don't realize that the fiber not only fills you up but it actually prevents all the carbs from being digested.

I would rather cut out all sugars and refined fats from my diet than beans, legumes and vegetables

Last edited:

YIKES! I'm envious. I tried so hard and finally reached ketosis and kept it up for a week, during which I felt like utter hell.

^ Then there’s the argument that animal farming is bad for the environment. Again, Buxton’s forensic examination of the evidence raises questions. The 2020 documentary Apocalypse Cow claimed that livestock farming is responsible for more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector. This simply isn’t true — in the U.S., for instance, the respective figures are 3.9 per cent and 28 per cent of the total.

As I say, a lot of this book is number-heavy. But even if the details might occasionally fog your brain, Buxton is brilliant at reminding us of some basic statistical truths, ones that are usually forgotten these days. For instance, you shouldn’t confuse ‘correlation’ with ‘causation’ — just because two things happen at the same time, it doesn’t mean that one is causing the other.

If you plot the number of people who drowned in swimming pools between 1999 and 2009, the rise and fall almost perfectly matches the number of films in which Nicolas Cage appeared each year.
That is clearly a coincidence. Yet when there looks like there could be a link, we’re often too ready to believe it. If a study finds that red meat is associated with higher rates of cancer, ‘how can we be sure it’s the red meat that’s at fault, and not the bun, fries and cola consumed alongside it, or the lifestyles of the people who eat more meat?”

F64131E1-5FD3-48A8-A628-78BD635C08AE.jpeg

My diet is quite high in carbs but they are all whole plant food carbs with lots of fiber.

People don't realize that the fiber not only fills you up but it actually prevents all the carbs in from being digested.

I would rather cut out all sugars and refined fats from my diet than beans, legumes and vegetables

You can get the best of both world.

Many green leaf, and other fibrous veggies are very low in carbs.

I consume a lot of low carb veggies, cale, cabbage, spinach.

I love beans, but I refrain not because of the carbs, but the gas...I rattle the neighbors door.

Good stuff.

YIKES! I'm envious. I tried so hard and finally reached ketosis and kept it up for a week, during which I felt like utter hell.
I took to it like a fish to water.

My wife said my breath stunk...but even that stopped after a point.

I have been on my current stretch for a couple months now and am chuggin right along.

Go to the gym three times per week.

Up your B vitamins.

My clothes are starting to fit me like a POW.

You can get the best of both world.

Many green leaf, and other fibrous veggies are very low in carbs.

I consume a lot of low carb veggies, cale, cabbage, spinach.

I love beans, but I refrain not because of the carbs, but the gas...I rattle the neighbors door.

Good stuff.
Eat beans often but in small amounts. This will greatly reduce the problem as your gut bacteria adjusts to it..

Take small bites and chew your food to a near liquid before swallowing. There are no other teeth in your digestive system. Food is digested at the molecular level, not in big chunks.

Whatever you eat, make sure you are digesting it properly. If you have 'scum' on the back of your tongue your digestive system is in trouble. That sticky scum might be a contributing factor in coronary artery disease.

Forum List

Back