Zone1 Easing Divisions/Restoring Unity?

That's not so progressive as to not be imaginable. Parents are forbidden by law against partaking in certain activities with their young children in a physical way. Similar laws could be enacted that would prevent parents from doing mental harm to a child.
What mental harm was done to you and your loved ones?

Some certain prohibitions can also be put on the state that would protect children, in addition to those already demanded in the public schools.
Do you have children? I ask because I find it amazing how many who are childless are so anxious to have the government take over raising children. The government cannot even secure the borders, win a war on drugs, stop shoplifting, people defecating on the streets, etc., but somehow they are the experts you look to when it comes to raising children?

You raised an issue over 'sexual discipline'. I need to ask you what discipline you could be referring to that would be the business of any church?
If you do not belong to that church, what do you care what members practice?

What mental harm was done to you and your loved ones?
Minimal to me, but I still had to fight with my inner feelings before I was able to break free. Even Christopher Hitchens struggled. Sexual perversions in the eyes of your church is a specific issue that could be discussed. I gained sexual 'freedoms' when I gained release from the church's influence. I know of far too many women who never will be freed.

My previous post should be considered by you as my opening negotiating position. It doesn't differ from your positions as to being too extreme.

Can our discussion remain on a courteous and polite level, with your acceptance of my beliefs, as I accept what you say as your beliefs.

It appears to me that spirit is already on it's way out the door, due to your question.

Do you have children? I ask because I find it amazing how many who are childless are so anxious to have the government take over raising children.
Yes, I have children, but I would like to avoid discussion on a personal level.
The government cannot even secure the borders, win a war on drugs, stop shoplifting, people defecating on the streets, etc., but somehow they are the experts you look to when it comes to raising children?
Were you about to accuse me of those indiscretions if I didn't have children?

Your government fails in many ways, but also succeeds in many more ways. My attitude toward my government is positive and only becomes negative for specific reasons.

Minimal to me, but I still had to fight with my inner feelings before I was able to break free. Even Christopher Hitchens struggled. Sexual perversions in the eyes of your church is a specific issue that could be discussed. I gained sexual 'freedoms' when I gained release from the church's influence. I know of far too many women who never will be freed.
I am not a fan of discussing sex. If pleasing one's genitals takes precedence over other aspects of life...shrug. Let it, but what one does with one's genitals isn't likely to impress that many. If the epitome of freedom is sex...then we truly are an unimaginative species.

My previous post should be considered by you as my opening negotiating position. It doesn't differ from your positions as to being too extreme.

Can our discussion remain on a courteous and polite level, with your acceptance of my beliefs, as I accept what you say as your beliefs.
Hopefully, you do not feel the least need to accept any of my beliefs. I certainly find no need to accept anyone's belief that a bigger government--especially a belief that suggests that government should take over telling me what values to instill in my children.

I am respectful, and I am courteous. I am also direct. The first two do not mean precluding the third. You may want a government that directs parents how to rear their children. I do not, and I'll fight government with all that is in me to prevent such a takeover.

Were you about to accuse me of those indiscretions if I didn't have children?
No. I was wondering if you were a parent who wanted a government to interfere with how you raise your children--or if you are fine with raising your own children, but you want government to interfere with how I might choose to raise mine?

Your government fails in many ways, but also succeeds in many more ways. My attitude toward my government is positive and only becomes negative for specific reasons.
The federal government should be so focused on national matters/issues that it has no time to poke its nose into my home. If the federal government is large enough to be peeking at personal matters, then that federal government is much too large.

Why don’t you establish the baseline by offering your own “understanding?”
This seemed reasonable to me as well.

There are many avenues such a discussion takes. One of the best in which I have participated was about how The Enlightenment and the changes people also wanted in secular governance affected what was also happening within the Church as it pertained matters of faith.

Church and State were united at that time, and the effect of that is sometimes underrated and unappreciated by those of us who have grown up with generation upon generation of society used to separation between Church and State.

I am not a fan of discussing sex. If pleasing one's genitals takes precedence over other aspects of life...shrug. Let it, but what one does with one's genitals isn't likely to impress that many. If the epitome of freedom is sex...then we truly are an unimaginative species.
Wasn't it you who raised the issue of 'sexual discipline'?
Sexual relations drives life for all our mammal cousins. The 'pleasing' is in our brains.

But I asked you what you mean by sexual discipline?
What atheist could possibly know?
What Christian could possibly offer a correct answer?

I see a nun in a fishnet body stocking with a lash, standing over a priest on his knees with his pants down.

This seemed reasonable to me as well.

There are many avenues such a discussion takes. One of the best in which I have participated was about how The Enlightenment and the changes people also wanted in secular governance affected what was also happening within the Church as it pertained matters of faith.

Church and State were united at that time, and the effect of that is sometimes underrated and unappreciated by those of us who have grown up with generation upon generation of society used to separation between Church and State.
It’s worthy of some consideration. I happen to like some separation of Church and State (or synagogue and state or mosque and state). But it does come with some consequences including the likelihood of a bit of a lack of “unity.”

Sometimes being disunited is a problem. Sometimes, though, it’s a blessing.

No. I was wondering if you were a parent who wanted a government to interfere with how you raise your children--or if you are fine with raising your own children, but you want government to interfere with how I might choose to raise mine?
I have always been fine with raising my children and I've been fine with my government's participation, as far as it has taken an active part.

It takes a village, that is governed.

I don't see how we're accomplishing anything of value.

I don't see how we're accomplishing anything of value.
Me either, not if your greatest priorities are sexual freedom (whatever that even means) and big government raising our children.

Forum List

Back