Ear hair cells allow us to hear sound, and they also make us breathe. How?

Cla234

Sep 15, 2022
Ear hair cells are mechanoreceptors, and are also respiratory chemoreceptors at the same time. How exactly, do these cells have two functions at the same time?

Ear hair cells are mechanoreceptors (allow us to hear sound) and these same cells are also respiratory chemoreceptors which make us breathe. In 2007 it was discovered that damage, or loss of these cells could cause death from respiratory failure.

In 2007, these scientists made a patent for a device that deaf people will wear during sleep, to monitor their co2 and oxygen levels..

If they stop breathing during sleep, co2 and oxygen get out of range, and the device wakes them up.

In 2011, they confirmed this hypothesis on mice. they put a drug in the mouses ears to remove their ear hairs. this group of mice had breathing problems during sleep, but the mice with intact ear hairs did not...

Does this mean deafness will be fatal? I read that one of the major causes of deafness is loss/damage to the hair cells..

Last edited:
Ear hair cells are mechanoreceptors, and are also respiratory chemoreceptors at the same time. How exactly, do these cells have two functions at the same time?

Ear hair cells are mechanoreceptors (allow us to hear sound) and these same cells are also respiratory chemoreceptors which make us breathe. In 2007 it was discovered that damage, or loss of these cells could cause death from respiratory failure.
I am a 68-year-old male. Their main function at this age is to make me resemble Snuffy Smith and his nose hair, if I don't watch it. Lol

When I was just a Senator, I used to be a lifeguard at the pool in the Black neighborhood. I'd sit on the stand and it’d get hot. I got a lot of — I got a lot of ear hairs that turn blonde in the sun. And the kids used to come up and reach out and rub my ear hairs down so they were straight and then watch the hairs come back up again.

When I was just a Senator, I used to be a lifeguard at the pool in the Black neighborhood. I'd sit on the stand and it’d get hot. I got a lot of — I got a lot of ear hairs that turn blonde in the sun. And the kids used to come up and reach out and rub my ear hairs down so they were straight and then watch the hairs come back up again.
Like kids rubbing Bidens hairy legs :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back